Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Importing a RHD Beetle into the US
Forum Index -> International Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:03 am    Post subject: Importing a RHD Beetle into the US Reply with quote

Hi all,

It looks like it might be time to move back to the US from Japan.
I'd like to bring my (Japan spec) '75 RHD 1200 (non-Super) Beetle home to the US with me.

Some of the things working against me:
    RHD
    In '75 the US-model Beetle switched to FI. My '75 has the original Solex 34Pict-3 carb and SVDA distributor.
    The front and rear bumpers are the direct bolt on type ('68-'73) and not the later US-type with shock/piston.
    Front bumper has Mexi-style turn signals in the bumper.
    The front seats are not original. They are bolted to steel beams welded across the pan halves.
    The Headlights aim to the left and will need to be replaced with LHD (DOT?) lamps.

The one thing working for me... she's more than 25-years old. That means she exceeds the 25-year exemption for EPA and DOT restrictions. So I believe (would someone who has done this before please confirm) none of the above will prevent me importing her to the US. I think?

I'd appreciate if someone who has gone through the trouble of importing a 25-year-old (or older), preferably RHD, Beetle into the US could chime in and comment on the "bumps in the road" they had to import their car into the US.
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
bowtiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally have not done it , but this might help

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/278/~...rsonal-use
ashman40
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2013 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bowtiebug.
That page confirms my understanding. I know there are three forms I will need to have ready. One each from the EPA, DOT and CBP.

My concern is over fees. I saw somewhere there is a 2.5% duty fee. Where does the price come from? I think I can still find my (Japanese) bill of sale. The price I paid was around 500,000-yen (about $5,000 USD in today's exchange rate). Or is there a "Blue book" value that is used?
My biggest concern is over a bond. Somewhere I've read the importer (that's me I think?) may need to post a bond worth 1.5-times the value of the vehicle. But this may only be needed when the vehicle must be modified to meet DOT/EPA specs. Since my car is exempt I'm hoping that means I don't need to worry about this, or do I?
'67 Beetle #1 {project car that never made it to the road Sad }
'75 Beetle 1200LS (RHD Japan model) {junked due to frame rot}
'67 Beetle #2 {2019 project car - Wish me luck!}
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> International All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: