Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My afternoon with "Corky" from Sun Ray bugs in Flo
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marleybus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:20 pm    Post subject: My afternoon with "Corky" from Sun Ray bugs in Flo Reply with quote

Had an afternoon that I soon will not forget. After driving my Mom to Zephyrhills Florida for her 6 month hiatus from the cold of Canada, I decided to drive to Dade City and the scene of the carnage of 2011, and see what is still available.

For those of you that have been under a rock "Corky" Yegar of SunRay Bugs had been collecting over 800 vintage air cooled VW's of different models in his 10 acres in Dade City Florida. The county took him to court over a bylaw and subsequently proceeded to destroy most of his collection.

I found his previous location vacant and a couple bugs and a Thing across the road at a garage. I stopped in and advised the mechanic in the driveway that I was looking for a piece of tin for my Type 4 engine. He advised, "talk to Corky just inside the door". Not knowing who or what I would find I said hello to the elderly gentleman and introduced myself as a VW Bus nut from Canada looking for an obscure part.

The next 2 1/2 hours will go down in my VW record books as some of the most interesting and enjoyable time I have had.

We proceeded to jump in his golf cart and he took me to his parts graveyard. We found a 1972-1974 Type 4 (Dual Carb) under a semi trailer and I took off the part. He proceeded to take me on a VW history tour including a visit to his private stash of beetles and Ghias. No busses left though. He seemed to go out of his way for me for no reason. We talked about his VW history and his business and he cleaned, glass beaded and painted my piece of tin. (Probably the best looking piece on my engine now) The amount of parts he has, is a small portion of what he had. But the man is a legend in the VW world and I was happy to spend a couple hours with this young 85 year old.

Pass the word he is still kicking and trying to rebuild his business. In my book, Corky is a class act.
1981 Vanagon Westfalia (Sold)
1969 VW Beetle Convertible (Wifes)
1977 VW Westy 2.0L FI Chrome Yellow
1978 VW Westy 2.0L FI (Under Restoration)
1973 VW Westy 1.7L Tourist Delivery Orange
Check out my thread!!http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=556709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ugh it just boils my blood when the man does shit like this to good people. a man can't even control his own property any more. "freedom" huh. keep your eyes open everyone!

its good to hear he's still into it, a lesser man would have lost his heart
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This contentious topic has been covered twice:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=470818
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=451174
Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You must have made Corky's day too to be helpful! Cool

P.S. I heard last night that Al's Kraut Shop in Redding, CA is retiring and everything is for sale.
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
demon1018
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stopped in last year to get a couple of parts for my wifes 66 with my son. he sat us down and talked our ears off. super nice guy!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: