Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Heads, rockers and other horrors
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
tat2ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Heads, rockers and other horrors Reply with quote

Folks this engine project is making my hair turn greyer! My first question is why are the heads stamped L&R. Does it really matter?
I recently had a machine shop do a valve job for me. I installed the heads onto new jugs and while I was attempting to adjust the valves I put my finger into the intake port and came out with a nice glob of valve grinding compound on my fingertip. At first I thought it might be glass bead material but the heads were dipped not blasted and it had that nice sparkle of carbide grit. The valves were closed so I tried spraying carb cleaner into the intake and flushing out the mess. Well, that wasn't working so good and apparently the valves weren't sealed either as I noticed the crap went into the new cylinder. So off with the head, remove the valves and clean it all out. Back to the job of adjusting the valves. that's easy enough, RIGHT?. Now the rockers arent centered on the valve stems. so take them all off and switch them..nope, still not centering. Oh now I notice the L stamped in the head. why should that matter they are both the same aren't they? Also I do have the R head on the Left side. I tried to watch a youtube video about setting up rockers, but the person just went on an on about who knows what and just confused me more. Is there a way to change the position of the rockers in relation to the valve stem? I believe the rocker assembly is stock. I think that about does it Three steps forward and two steps back
turbo2go
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone probably marked the heads during a previous rebuild. The rockers aren't supposed to be centered on the stem. They are offset to spin the valve.
croSSeduP
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Heads, rockers and other horrors Reply with quote

tat2ken wrote:
Folks this engine project is making my hair turn greyer! My first question is why are the heads stamped L&R. Does it really matter?
I recently had a machine shop do a valve job for me. I installed the heads onto new jugs and while I was attempting to adjust the valves I put my finger into the intake port and came out with a nice glob of valve grinding compound on my fingertip. At first I thought it might be glass bead material but the heads were dipped not blasted and it had that nice sparkle of carbide grit. The valves were closed so I tried spraying carb cleaner into the intake and flushing out the mess. Well, that wasn't working so good and apparently the valves weren't sealed either as I noticed the crap went into the new cylinder. So off with the head, remove the valves and clean it all out. Back to the job of adjusting the valves. that's easy enough, RIGHT?. Now the rockers arent centered on the valve stems. so take them all off and switch them..nope, still not centering. Oh now I notice the L stamped in the head. why should that matter they are both the same aren't they? Also I do have the R head on the Left side. I tried to watch a youtube video about setting up rockers, but the person just went on an on about who knows what and just confused me more. Is there a way to change the position of the rockers in relation to the valve stem? I believe the rocker assembly is stock. I think that about does it Three steps forward and two steps back

I don't care who does work on any of my engine parts, when I get those parts back I ALWAYS carefully inspect them before putting them into service so I avoid things like residual valve grind compound sitting in my heads. Are you attempting a stock rebuild here? If so, yes, the rockers are supposed to be slightly off center to the valve stem.
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you can adjust the rockers left and right with shims if needed.
If you need to go towards the block then it is best to grind the block, the aren't square on the ends to start so making them square is an improvement.
tat2ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm glad I watched that video, or attempted to!
tat2ken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, It's a stock motor. I took the heads off due to pushrod tube problem, found 3 burned valves and decided putting on new cyls and pistons was easier than trying to clean up the ones that were there. The machine shop handed me the heads as "all set to go". For what I paid I don't think I should have had to disassemble them. That's why they make the big bucks
mark tucker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pull them appart,fix them,clean them ,clean them again then reassemble correctly. do it once do it right be done and go have fun&forgetaboutit.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: