Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How to remove front seats in 1973 Super beetle
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
twogunpapa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: How to remove front seats in 1973 Super beetle Reply with quote

My husband just bought me a 1973 beetle..she needs a little work but will be so worth it. We need to remove the front seats as the bushings are worn how do we remove them? I saw a post but they didn't say if it was for a 1973 or not.

Thanks for your help..and I've already learned alot by browsing through the forums.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a safety clip in front of the center slider. Just pull it down and slide them back. They'll come off the tracks and then take them out.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ExtraNoise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
There's a safety clip in front of the center slider. Just pull it down and slide them back. They'll come off the tracks and then take them out.

Were the 73s just like the 74 and laters? Our 72 had a little pin on the right-hand rack that needed to be pressed down in order to get the seats to slide off. We couldn't find anything about it in any book or on the internet.

My VW project blog in case you want to follow along
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
kspageddie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U could get hit in the rear of the car and have the force eject the front seat loose...thats what happened to me last summer...lol
LeviMan2001
Samba Post Whore

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at where the front of the seat attaches. See that little tab? push that down then pull the seat straight back untill it comes off the tracks
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does this apply to a 71 super beatle. ? i pull on the lever the seat slides but doesnt come off the rail . im pushing towards the steering to remove the seat. i dont see a pin? i have the lever turned so it doesnt engage the teeth but doesnt slide out.
binky13
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my release pin loves to slide out at inoppurtune times and dump me on the floor. I always have to laugh Razz Razz Razz
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
does this apply to a 71 super beatle. ? i pull on the lever the seat slides but doesnt come off the rail . im pushing towards the steering to remove the seat. i dont see a pin? i have the lever turned so it doesnt engage the teeth but doesnt slide out.

No,that is only 73 and later with the 3 point runners.

the twin rail you've got have a release tab on the right runner at the front that needs pushing down.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:
hsosa1 wrote:

No,that is only 73 and later with the 3 point runners.

the twin rail you've got have a release tab on the right runner at the front that needs pushing down.

Later models had a bolt in the front hole.
I don't know what year the change was made.
I suspect it was when they went with full foam seats and abandoned springs.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=553852&highlight=

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok yeah its not a 74 . just a 71 which has the the lever. it looks like the rail end which kinda looks like an arrow head is getting stuck on the rail. looks like i will need to grind dow that metal end. to get the seat off only thing i can think of. it looks lit the end doesnt pass through the guide and just hits near the spring on the right passender rail. i tried to straigten the end but now im going to just grind it down or maybe use a file so it can pass through the rail .
GARYVONT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this identical problem on my '71 Super. Mine has small metal tabs located at the front, right, side, just outside of the tracks. FIRST, remove the coil springs that pull the seat forward. Push the tab down and push the seat forward (both actions at the same time) and off the track. You may need some help pushing it forward. If there is a "sticky" on this, some kind soul sent me some excellent photos when I was inquiring. Good luck!
GARYVONT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this identical problem on my '71 Super. Mine has small metal tabs located at the front, right, side, just outside of the tracks. FIRST, remove the coil springs that pull the seat forward. Push the tab down and push the seat forward (both actions at the same time) and off the track. You may need some help pushing it forward. If there is a "sticky" on this, some kind soul sent me some excellent photos when I was inquiring. Good luck!
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do u have any pics of the that tab? its not the actual lever that turns the metal piece to lock into the teeth correct? ill look for the tab. i didnt see the return spring underneath im suspecting it was pulled out. is the tab on the actual seat rail of the seat or is it part of the rail welded to the pan?
GARYVONT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the tab difficult to find, but once you do find it, you'll wonder why it was sooo hard. It is NOT the lever that disengages the seat so it will slide. Look at the right front corner of the right hand track, just to it's right corner area. You may have to dig through some carpet to find it.
GARYVONT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the tab difficult to find, but once you do find it, you'll wonder why it was sooo hard. It is NOT the lever that disengages the seat so it will slide. Look at the right front corner of the right hand track, just to it's right corner area. You may have to dig through some carpet to find it.
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok ill look tommorrow. i remember on my 1st 71 that i had . i had no problem removing the drivers seat. over 20yrs ago i remember wanting to have lowbacks . also remember swearing i would never buy a fatchick. again lol
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hsosa1 wrote:
do u have any pics of the that tab? its not the actual lever that turns the metal piece to lock into the teeth correct? ill look for the tab. i didnt see the return spring underneath im suspecting it was pulled out. is the tab on the actual seat rail of the seat or is it part of the rail welded to the pan?

Did you follow any links previously posted?
There are photos of the tab and also a link within a link with a photo of the tab installed with the seat.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hsosa1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok today i found the tab. i took a picture placed a nickel on the tab that you push down on. for future reference. this is for a 71 superbeetle front seat removal. spray wd40 etc. clean around tracks. i used a tall flat file to push down on the tab while i pushed the seat off the track.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

GARYVONT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While you have it out, you may want to find out if the '71 Super used plastic/nylon (?) skids on the rails. My seats were real sloppy, and there were no skids on them. If so, I will definitely add some if I end up using the stock seats.
Joe1stBeetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 73 standard beetle. You remove one little Philips head screw then pop the little clip back and that part is free. You have to pull your forward adjustment lever so the big pin clears the hole and the seat will slide right out the back. Very simple. About 1 minute and you are holding your seat outside the car. Not sure if the super is any different. I wouldn't think so on a 73
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: