Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

should i strip to bare metal
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
darrragh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: should i strip to bare metal Reply with quote

hi i am currently restoring my bus and want to know should i go to bare metal before body work and spraying.
I live in ireland so i really need to seal out the wether from my body so i want to do this rightfirst time.
i posted a pic in the campers section (d's van)
I can post more pics.
I dont want to cut any corners I always thought I should go to bare metal ,but was recently told otherwise

peace darragh
nthang
Sambassador

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the old paint is in fair to good condition and repainting is a color thing, I would not blast it. Sand it and paint it. Media blasting is expensive and tricky and can destroy and distort metal when done incorrectly (by and idiot or novice). If you decide to blast it make sure that you pick a pro who has done lots of automobiles (tractors do not count....thin sheetmetal warps from the heat if you stay on it too long and it pits if you hit it too hard). In Ireland, aye? If you blast the metal make sure that you get a primer on the same day, if possible. You really want to do that.
RareAir
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're Bus is still in it's original paint, it makes an excellenty base & there's nothing hidden below the surface coat. But if you're Bus has seen a few repaints in it's life, going down to bare metal is the only way to go. You don't know what shoddy repairs have been made in the past and can harm your new paint with disasterous results.
1959 Typ 117
1959 Typ 265
1961 356B
1966 Typ 151
1966 Typ 241
bmtx
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The creator of House of Kolor paints, John Kosmosky always says, " if its going to be a real nice paint job it needs to be the only one on there". I would say if its going to be a decent job, just get it close to the factory primer, feathered out nice and go with it.
darrragh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi thanks for the advice
I think i will not go to bare metal as 90% of my paint is good
And i dont really have the correct work space to go to metal and get paint on before it goes off.
So it hello factory primer
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: