Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1960 hacked baja/volksrod question and undercoating
Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bajatovolks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:16 pm    Post subject: 1960 hacked baja/volksrod question and undercoating Reply with quote

Hey VWer's,

So this is the situation. I bought a Baja not too long ago. Its a 60 body and pan. The PO had a tilt front end, and hacked up rear clip with one of those Fiberglass whale tail on it.

So I took that, and converted to Volksrod. Beam extender, framehead brace, widened rear rims, etc. However, the PO did a horrible job on the front clip part where he cut for the fiberglass hood. Then (I believe) he took a mallet or hammer and bent the fender sides inward, to make room for the hood.

So reaction, turn back to Baja and sell, get a unmolested one. However I still really want a 60, and the prices are not getting any cheaper to get one. I have been thinking about putting a "shell" and keeping the pan, but only shells I can find are 64+.

Will any "bug" shell fit on my pan?
What would be a ball park figure to have someone weld a new front clip in, to salvage the current body?
Should I just Baja it again and sell, not worth the trouble?

Another Question, PO shot the "ENTIRE" body with undercoating, I believe it may be a light coating as I see chips where there is paint underneath. Do I need to scrape this off, or can I effectively sand?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Other VW Vehicles/Volksrods All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: