Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

How many miles is too much on a TDI?
Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
wmgeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 4:41 am    Post subject: How many miles is too much on a TDI? Reply with quote

I have a local person selling a New Beetle... a 2000 GLS five speed, with the 1.9 TDI engine. It has 263,400 miles on the clock.

So how many miles is too much on a TDI engine? At what point would you be thinking of a overhaul? What other factors to look at on a high mileage VW like this?

I do my own oil changes and minor maintenance, and consider myself a pretty good mechanic. Thanks in advance for any help/suggestions!
Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump since I have almost the exact same question.

I am looking at one with 230k that needs a new turbo.

How tough a job is that for a shade tree guy?

Thinking this would also make a great donor for my westie eventually .
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the 2 with 275k on them needed valve guids..

200ish vnt start to screw up seize... my rebuilder says 180ish.. but by 300k the centersection/vnt will be toast/ready for major rebuild...

the older non vnt seem 300k ish no issue
vwjunkie3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife's 2000 NB TDI has 404,xxx miles on it and the engine has never been apart. Other than T-Belts and water pumps everything is original including the turbo. Runs as good as the day she drove it off the lot.
GTIVWMK2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tobias Duncan wrote:
Bump since I have almost the exact same question.

I am looking at one with 230k that needs a new turbo.

How tough a job is that for a shade tree guy?

Thinking this would also make a great donor for my westie eventually .

What year is it? the Turbo's on the MK4's were built into the exhaust manifold. So you have to replace the whole manifold. Which isn't' all that hard unless you come across rusted nuts that sockets don't bite onto anymore, or seized ones that break off. The ones going into the head very rarely seize as they are not steel, they are copper. The down pipe is more where you will find that. If it's a two piece manifold and turbo separate. You can run into issues of the bolts breaking into the exhaust manifold. All in all it's a pretty straight forward Job. As long as you get the same turbo all the lines and piping should match up with out any issues.
glutamodo Premium Member
The Android

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GTIVWMK2 wrote:
The ones going into the head very rarely seize as they are not steel, they are copper.

Copper PLATED. If they were solid copper they'd be too weak to take a torque. Under the copper they are steel - you can pick them up with a magnet.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GTIVWMK2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew that they were plated for exactly the reasons you said. just didn't' think it was important to explain that part of it. But it is good to let people know that! Especially if they can't find them and go looking for something else to do the job.
whitedog01
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a 1999.5 Mk4 Jetta TDI for free with 442,500 miles on it, all highway. Before 5th gear went, it was still getting 47+ mpg. I know the guy who bought it at 20K miles, and he swears the glow plugs and clutch are original. Sure it needs stuff, but I'm driving it around town now in 4th until the trans parts come in. Because all the miles are highway, I believe there are many more left in this car before it needs major engine work.
Bow Zart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all helpful. We bought our 2003 Golf TDI new, and it has given us 274,000 mostly trouble free miles. Amazing car, really. The turbo just toasted, and pricing repairs we find that our local mechanic quotes a price virtually identical to the book value of the car, so I've been going over the wisdom of repair.

Given what I've read here, I think I'll go ahead with it but I'll be looking at other options that don't involve this mechanic. He's great, but it's an old car, and I don't see much point in doing a lot more than necessary to keep it going for another hundred thousand or so, if even.

My alternative would be to buy a used car. The way I see it is that I already have a used car.
crsmp5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.xsboostturbochargers.com/

those people do great work, had them rebuild a vnt for 00 jetta almost 3 years ago... price is great!!
Ian
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend's Jetta is a 2000 TDI he bought from the original owner, an engineer. The engineer bought it brand new when he entered college and sold it when he had a kid and bought a new Jetta. It came with a stack of maintenance records probably 2" thick. Every receipt for every oil change ever.

Anyway, the car is rolling up on 200k and drives like the day it left the lot. Turbo boosts fine and car feels absolutely great.

The window regulators are slowly going bad one at a time.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Water-cooled VW All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: