Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

another OG paint question.. color sand before compound?
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvilMogan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: another OG paint question.. color sand before compound? Reply with quote

Hey all, I've decided to keep the OG paint on my 73. Do I color sand with say a 1500 grit and soap and water, and then use the rubbing compound? The white film is a bitch to get off. I am having to compound it 3 or 4 times just to remove it. It is taking forever because I am doing very small sections at a time. Am I doing this right?

Mo
Ipaintem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not wet sand your factory paint. You will more than likely sand through it somewhere or buff through it in a bunch of places trying to get the scratches out. I would just keep on rubbing and hope for the best. Good luck!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NAES
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have enough of a paint film that you can afford to lose some then you can colorsand. I didn't care if I went through on spots on my bus so I did 1500, 2000, rubbing compound (on a polishing motor), finishing glaze (with a foam pad). Even the bare metal areas are shiny Very Happy Put a coat of wax over it to protect it and go.
SBS #00
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good wax or cleaner wax can remove heavily oxidized paint and restore color. Sun and weather has a tendency to make paint "oxidize" or corrode. The good cleaner waxes are able to buff this out and the polishing wax will protect it long term. (cleaners are only good for cleaning, waxes good for long term use).

I found a product back in the 90's that was called Color Magic. They have similar products today. You buy it in the color that is close to your car's color, buff it on like normal wax and it brings the color back to your paint. No joke. Sanding is a bit extreme since it will remove a lot of paint compared to buffing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Pete McC
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

meguiars 3 step paint process is great for bringing paint back too, I brought my faded salmon pink bug is now red again thanks to going over it once last September, haven't washed or waxed the car since left it outside in all weathers and driven it through all sorts and it's still not fading. the paint cleaner stuff they make is brilliant and doesn't wear you out like cutting paste does! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly! I was going to suggest Meguiars... trying to avoid brand names.
The NuFinish is supposed to work good. no frills/advertising bottle, orange.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ipaintem
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Nase, You have bare metal protected by polish on you bus?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: