Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Want to save on petrol costs?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fiatdude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can almost guarantee it was a pushrod tube donut/seal on the case side -- I had one crack/split and the only person that could tell I had a oil leak was the guy following me and getting oil splatter on his windshield --

luckily for me it was a friend behind me on the freeway and he realized what was going on and got me pulled over in time
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can certainly see where cost could be a factor in resolving the issue. I was pointing out the differences in the cost of various engine parts to my twin boys yesterday. Comparing Type I VW parts cost to 356 parts, it seems that nearly everything was about 10 times the money for the Porsche parts, or more! Confused I'll have to stick to my Type I. Rolling Eyes
Mike Ruddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evening Gents, apologies for the lack of updates on this thread. As of today the state of play is thus....

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

...and I can't really believe how little progress I've made in such great a time.

Tearing down the engine revealed the most probable point of exit for the oil was indeed the pushrod tube seals but to be honest it really wasn't obvious what had actually happened.

As you can imagine the damage was fairly extensive. Although the case hasn't been measured it does appear to be ok but I'll be needing a new crank, bearings, most probably rods and as you say Bruce, a new oil cooler.

Unfortunately all this has coincided with me buying a house which requires a certain amount attention. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

https://picasaweb.google.com/101712686805727003974/Stonegarth?authkey=Gv1sRgCJe0uMib9duPlwE

For now, the engine has had to take a back seat, I just haven't had the time or the loot to do it justice but the longer it goes on the more I miss driving the car. Although it's still February, we still get the the odd day where you can smell spring in the air... and spring is always the best season to drive a 356. Smile

My plan is to drive to a friends birthday party in September. The party will be in Southern France, 980 miles away... Then home again. Well that's the plan, I'll let you know how it goes. Very Happy
Cheers, Mike.

1959 Super
1968 Super
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Jacks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame Crying or Very sad Thanx for the update.
roy mawbey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Can see exactly why the engine has taken second place. Stonegarth looks very nice, from your attached link above but what a job Shocked I presume from the windows its mid Victorian? So much to do, but you can't go wrong, its in the right place and it has the correct look to always be what so many people want to own.

You have time to do the engine, all the time you have been owning your nice 'A' its been appreciating, you have not lost money and even with the engine expense still made some. These cars are like nice old houses they give you grief sometimes but you have to learn to accept it.

Thanks for the update, hope you do make it to France!

Roy

ro
Sebastian Gaeta
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Very sorry about the engine, but thanks for sharing the pictures of your house project.

It is turning out lovely, good for you Very Happy

'63 Beetle Turkis
‘64 Karmann Ghia Coupe Manilagelb/Black Roof
'64 356C cabriolet Signalrot
'65 356C coupe Rubinrot
'66 Single Cab Velvet Green
'67 Karmann Ghia convertible Heliosblau
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: