Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

A Funny Thing Happened This Weekend.....
Forum Index -> Stories Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:49 pm    Post subject: A Funny Thing Happened This Weekend..... Reply with quote

I recently finished the restoration of my '56 Single Cab and decided to take it to the local "Taste of Morgan Hill" car show. My friend Jim, who did a lot of the body work and paint deserved some recognition and he reluctantly came along with me. There were over 150 cars, but no other VW's. Just a DeLorean, a Mercedes Gullwing, a Packard, couple of '56 Chevys, a gorgeous '58 T-Bird and some others.....you know, "car show" cars.

Someone forgot my registration info and I really didn't care. I was just there for the fun and conversation.....until a bunch of people kept asking details (what year/model/etc). So I put a hand-written paper on the windshield and went to get some food. The show ended at 3pm and individual awards went quickly. I started walking over to talk with a friend when I heard the announcement of Best Of Show.....My '56 VW Truck!! Best Of Show!! Shocked Seems a lot of folks had some sort of VW connection. And this truck struck a nerve. It triggered nostalgic stories all day.

These German cars......they've touched a lot of people's hearts.....
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. Beautiful car and nice story. I would have liked to have been a fly on the wall during the discussion among the judges for the Best of Show award.

It's always interesting to me when I take my Beetle to an all-makes car show to see how much interest old VW's generate because they were such a big part of people's lives in the 60's and 70's. And they also seem to attract the attention of women more so than most other cars for the same reason.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
ALLWAGONS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then again, that's a kick ass bus!

I recycle old cars and parts, other than when I rot, that's as Green as I am going to get.

Thanks to my Tesla driving neighbors, I feel more relaxed driving my SUBURBAN and old VW's.

NON INFLUENCER APPROVED
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
e&m_ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations. That is one gorgeous truck. Perfect symmetry of form and function.

We've been going to "general purpose" car shows lately, and we've had a similar experiences - most recently at a well-known show in a nice little town. Lots of people come by and chat, admire the car, etc. Even though there are plenty-more-prestigious name-plates to be found. At that show we got "best foreign", after we told our child not to expect any prizes because the show was too high-end, there were only a few prizes (no "top 75"), and the "competition" was fierce... He should be happy with the home-made ice cream at the local shop. (Well, and a report of our car being singled-out in the morning TV news.)

We think aircooled VW's strike a chord, and bring a smile to people's faces. This seems particularly true, when surrounded by 30's Fords and 50's Chevy's.

In your case, it looks like you got a well-deserved best-in-show. Your truck is lots nicer than our Ghia...
Big Bill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to talk to you on the phone last night Pete. I also would have liked to been a fly on the wall listening to the judges final tally. If you guys could have seen this truck before I belive you would be even more amazed with the outcome. Hey Pete I have some things to move this weekend could you .................. Very Happy
drpete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, all, for the compliments. It was a conversation with you, Bill, that got me to buy this truck in the first place...."There aren't too many of these '50's buses around anymore". After we hung up on that, I called the seller and asked him to hold it for me. Glad we had that talk, though like you and my wife, I never ever thought this bus could eventually look this nice.

Now if I could just figure out how to put some Lionel and Ives trains on that bed without scratching the paint Wink

Pete Keesling
Driving a VW every day.....
raddler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seen it that day and must say the fresh paint sure was purty
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My (rich) cousin is a classic car collector. He's a die-hard bowtie fan, but that day, he had taken both his '63 split window 'Vette and a '63 Ford Galaxie (406, 4-speed) to a car show. He was a little miffed when his Ford beat out his 'Vette for originality and a '64 Beetle took Best In Show.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Stories All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: