Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Building a 58 ModA at KCW, some questions...
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
erikaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 10:29 am    Post subject: Building a 58 ModA at KCW, some questions... Reply with quote

Hello everyone, my first posting in the 356 section!

John Jones at KCW is presently building me a 1958 Mod A. It is going to be mild black Outlaw. Presently a lot of metal work going on, after 25 yrs in a field in Alabama:
http://kustomcoachwerks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7784&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I have got to the point i have to choose rims and tire size. It will be driven on the winding and narrow Norwegian roads, and hopefully look cool with a somewhat wider tire choice.

I guess this i the place to ask if someone has driven a Model A with a wider tire is here. What should i choose 195/65 185/65 175....?

I remember my 1967 beetle with 195s and a worn stearing damper, the tire felt too big. The 185s on my 68 was great though. I have no experience with the 356.

Thanks!
Erik

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
ensys
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything depends on the rim width. If you stick with the stock 4.5" wheels, a 185 pushes the "wide" envelope.

My personal opinion is that 356s are much happier with 5.5 (or 6) rim widths which is a sweet spot for a 195-65 (tho a 70, if one could get them, is better), an optimal size for regular road use.

You can find more info about rim width/tire size on the web.

S.J.Szabo
savaden
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with above. 185/70 sizes are available, and that was the period correct upgrade for stock 4-1/2" rims. These tires have limited choices, though. The Vredestien sprints are popular.

If you go to a 5-1/2" or 6" rim, the 195/65 is the modern equivalent of the 185/70 and many more choices are available. These should not overly burden the light feel of the steering as long as the proper camber angles are maintained.

SV
erikaa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!
I will look for a set of 5-1/2 with 195s then!
arprea
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might be a bit late, but some comments anyway.
- Not all 195:s are alike, there are some differences in true width of the tires depending on manufacturer.
- What is your choice of wheels? Rear wheel wells in 356 are quite narrow so you need to have careful with the offset. In front there is all the room in the world.
- Check also from the behind the car that the wheel sits the way you like, again the body shape makes the tire thread exposed quite much depending on your choice of wheel and offset.

Nice car - I'll follow it with interest in KCW.

br,
Aki
Jon Schmid
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:23 pm    Post subject: Building a 58 ModA at KCW, some questions... Reply with quote

One last add: I recommend your spare be a 4-1/2 rim with a 165 tire (Nexen makes a good one) for the spare unless the jack clips are going to be removed.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: