Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

64C Window rubber felt Cal look
Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
M. Notary
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:37 am    Post subject: 64C Window rubber felt Cal look Reply with quote

I am doing a partial restoration on my 64. All the metal work is done and starting to put it back together. I am not planning on painting it at this time, it is a driver. Is there "Cal Look" style front and rear window rubber available? Does VW felt work in the side windows? Any other tips on VW parts that will fit? I have a VW engine that I will be putting in it... throttle linkage?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the Cal look/outlaw rubber front and rear glass gaskets on E-bay. Never a picture and $76.00 each. Check it out...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271280048312?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649
bbspdstr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The linked ad says:

"PORSCHE oem Front Windshield Seal 356 A B C SC Coupe/Reutter Cabriolet NEW"

Oxymoronic, like 'jumbo shrimp.' There is a significant difference between a seal for a curved Coupe front seal from '56 through T-5 B which also stayed the same size to include all Cabriolets A-B-C, and the larger front (and rear) window seals for a T-6 B/C (SC).

I know this via a broken windshield in the early '70s when I was told that "one size fits all" and actually tried to make an early seal go on a C glass and found out the hard way that it doesn't work.
DBCouper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK .... I'll bite.

What's "the Cal look"?

Dave
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2013 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No trim in the rubber, I think it also says, you have to cut to fit and glue together with crazy glue... Rolling Eyes
DBCouper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. I should have known .... everything begins in California. I was born in Oakland, graduated from Santa Barbara High in '63, and migrated to Florida in '66. After all, I brought "The Doors", "The Jefferson Airplane", "The Greatful Dead", et al with me to Central Fla. Everyone here made funny faces, and asked, "what the Hell kinda music is that?" I guess I should have known. But, I digress.

Anyway, when I did the most recent restoration on my '58 coupe several years ago, I decided to delete the front and rear glass deco trim, because those aluminum strips make it a bitch to reinstall the glass, even if they are bent correctly. I bought new glass gaskets from International Mercantile, because I'd used them on the last resto 25 yrs earlier, and they were still in good shape. I couldn't just install them with an open slit, so I found a likely candidate for filling it in the gaskets under the chrome strips at the top of the door shell. They have a large and a small bulb attached by a web. They're the perfect size and configuration. A call to I/M found that they have the strips in bulk, so I bought a 20 ft (I think) strip to do both front and back glass. I pushed the large bulb deep into the slit, left the small bulb exposed, and glued the ends together at the bottom.

The glass was much simpler to install, and I think it looks really good. For some reason, I thought this might come to be known as "The Fla-Look". But, I really should have known ....

I'm a complete Luddite when it comes to posting photos, but maybe I'll give it a try later.

BTW, NLA sells the door glass channel strips, and they seem to be a good product at a reasonable price. The most difficult part of the job is reinstalling the window frames.

Dave
DBCouper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DBCouper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've received some private contact, asking for additional information on my procedure. So, here's a follow up.

The rubber strip that I used is International Mercantile's part # M7 (OEM part # 644.531.951.00). Measure before ordering in bulk.

No adhesive is necessary, except to join the ends of M7 together at the bottom center of each glass. There is a "T" section deep in the windshield trim groove that locks the aluminum trim in place. When I tucked the large bulb of M7 into the groove, it snapped into that "T" section, which captured it firmly. The web between the bulbs of M7 is exactly the same width and thickness as the "I" beam of the aluminum trim, and seals the groove completely. What I ended up with is a very small black rubber bead that runs around the glass gasket, preventing distortion of the gasket.

Has anybody tried this?

Dave
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DBCouper wrote:
I've received some private contact, asking for additional information on my procedure. So, here's a follow up.

Very Happy Thanks Dave! Great tip... will test soon Cool
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered both gaskets and the M7 strip from International Mercantile today. As I started to explain what I wanted to do he said ya I know your the third call I had today and one of the guys was from Holland. So I told him about this thread... Smile
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dsrtfox wrote:
I ordered both gaskets and the M7 strip from International Mercantile today. As I started to explain what I wanted to do he said ya I know your the third call I had today and one of the guys was from Holland. So I told him about this thread... Smile

Very Happy Holland ... Belgium... Not exactly the same, but close enough I suppose:-)!
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured it was you Peter LOL...
Peter - Belgium
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:29 am    Post subject: cal look rubber Reply with quote

installed it all yesterday and it looks great with that little rubber insert Smile

Thanks for the tip!!!!
dsrtfox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least he sent it to Belgium instead of Holland... Smile
DBCouper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really pleased that you like it, Peter. And it was a lot easier to rope the glass in, too, wasn't it? Love the color of your build.

Dave
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Porsche - 356 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: