Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What dizzy do people suggest?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Vintage Speed Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dandand
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:33 pm    Post subject: advance curves info? Reply with quote

simple question: Is there a website or other reference that shows the advance curves for all of these various VW (and Porsche) distributors?
Beavergeezer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tobiasax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beetleseb wrote:
Vw seem to like the vacuum type on bugs and ghia's and the centrifugal type on busses. I think vacuum equivalent of the 010 would be what vw picked.

Good point.

A vacuum unit increases the pre-ignition at part throttle giving better fuel economy for "every day" driving. Knowing that let's look at the usage spectrums of the vehicles:

1. The bus was a commercial vehicle carrying heavy loads demanding full throttle even at low speeds.

2. The Porsches was designed for a sporty driver using the full power of the engine.

3. The bug and Ghia where more everyday cars with a higher use of part-throttle.

As the vacuum part is adding cost and complexity my guess is that they only used it on the vehicels benefiting the most of it which would be the category 3 cars.

For a vintage performer used to go to and from events etc. a BR25 with vacuum on a TSV1300 Okrasa would be a really neat solution.

I think it would be possible to build such a beast using a VJU4 BR8 and modifying it according to the instructions in "Souping the Volkswagen engine" which will give it the same total pre-ignition as the BR25. To get it to operate a bit faster one spring could be removed as suggested in "How to Hot Rod the Volkswagen engine". The end result should be rather close to something VW would call VJU4 BR25 I guess.

I haven't done this in practice, so it's a theoretical reasoning. Perhaps the experts can say if it would be doable?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding vacuum to a VJ4BR25 is not possible... the parts are just different.

Trust me... I know.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Ghia Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whilst this may be sacrilege to some...Im using a vjr4br25 with cb's black box. I have locked out the advance via wire. While its not super 100% period correct, I maintain the look of the br25 and gain the benefit of the map sensor in the cb black box which can differentiate between part throttle, WOT, and boost. It can also be hidden so you would never know looking at it.

As far as performance wise. I had a 019 on my ghia, then changed over to dvda, the 019 was wonderful. The dvda was nice for the part throttle.
This will likely change tomorrow to something else.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I ran a Berg CDI system triggered by a Bosch 010.

Just hide the CB box and it will look fine.

Personally, if I were to use a "locked" distributor, i'd use a 40HP Big Cap since it has a 90mm cap which reduces the possibility of cross fire.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vintage Speed All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: