Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Newb rust question
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
renno_44
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Newb rust question Reply with quote

You might have heard this question a lot but I have a '72 1300 and it's pretty sound mechanically. There are small rust patches over the car but the front wings at the bottom are quite bad. Is it best to find out how to attack the problem and put in some manual labour or better to just purchase a new wing? Would it be good for someone like me, with no experience, to try and sand it down and paint it. We've all got to start somewhere?
Cheers for any help.
Tom
E-boyz67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the rust is that bad better to get new fenders if thats what you're talking about(wings). BTW why do you guys call them wings instead of fenders I've always wondered that?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sapper364
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a newb to this also, I say try out your hand at fixing it, there is plenty of info here on how to go about it and your right you need to start some where. of course if it gets into investing in welders and high end tools for just one time it would be cost effective to just replace the part. Then again I have gone through enough sand paper to replace a few parts Embarassed
VWBobby
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its a one time resto, just buy the replacement parts. They are not as good of quality as Original parts however, curves, thickness and hole locations generally change from manufacture to manufacture.

If you plan on restoring a few cars, then I would invest in a good welder and basic metal fab tools (grinders, clamps, vise, etc)

They call them wings because its a BEETLE! Smile You can't have Bugs running around with Fenders, can we?? Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: