Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Dealership Concept 1 numbered drawing
Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Dealership Concept 1 numbered drawing Reply with quote

I had a chance to pick up a numbered Concept 1 drawing today when I picked up some other VW items from a dealership. What is the best way to determine the value. I would like to make a reasonable offer. This is from the owner of a past dealership so it has been his since new. It is a numbered piece.

I picked the Speedracer up in the frame it is 40X30 in size and is really nice.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think part of your answer lies in a clue from your post- "numbered" tells me there are more- but how many? If they were made for fewer than all dealerships- I'd say a couple hundred is right. The tough part to me is, how many people are interested in something found from a dealership that's so recently made (1995 I assume)?

Hard to believe these cars go back two decades already. If I were in your shoes- I'd offer $100- but mainly because I expect it to go up in value and have plenty of time. I put it in the category of "future collectible."

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
I think part of your answer lies in a clue from your post- "numbered" tells me there are more- but how many? If they were made for fewer than all dealerships- I'd say a couple hundred is right. The tough part to me is, how many people are interested in something found from a dealership that's so recently made (1995 I assume)?

Hard to believe these cars go back two decades already. If I were in your shoes- I'd offer $100- but mainly because I expect it to go up in value and have plenty of time. I put it in the category of "future collectible."

Thanks, I think they are higher as I look for art and VW art often. Now the Speed Racer did have an awesome commercial frame with a hinge to put in new art and I paid $150 for it. The framing for the Concept 1 are it likely $50 to $100.

I placed the value between $500 and $1000. I toyed with $500 but did not pick it up because I picked up a nice FAHRVERGNUGEN sign that is 60X34 for our theater room.

The Concept One art had a Split Window in the background for aspiration so it had some good appeal. The dealership owner knew some of the people in the photo is the main reason he kept it.

You are right that it is a limited audience but I see garages all the time laced with very nice VW literature, posters and signs. I am a literature and art "hound" so I'm sure my price bracket is higher than the average demand and I appreciate your input.

hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh boy- that's a great neon! That has broad H2O appeal. I'm glad to hear the Concept One print IS limited in numbers as well. Of course, I am pleasantly surprised at the range you are prepared for. Funny, while I was extorting a salesman friend for his Concept One Press Kit back in '96ish- I was also liberating his desk of all leftover Fahrvergnugen gear!

One of my favorite prints (photo?) that many of us know about is on display at a collector's home in CA- an aerial view of the Wolfsburg factory. I ogle that print every annual visit- and would love to own one.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
JeffL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
Oh boy- that's a great neon! That has broad H2O appeal. I'm glad to hear the Concept One print IS limited in numbers as well. Of course, I am pleasantly surprised at the range you are prepared for. Funny, while I was extorting a salesman friend for his Concept One Press Kit back in '96ish- I was also liberating his desk of all leftover Fahrvergnugen gear!

One of my favorite prints (photo?) that many of us know about is on display at a collector's home in CA- an aerial view of the Wolfsburg factory. I ogle that print every annual visit- and would love to own one.

Have you seen the 4 dealership prints that have VWs through the years? It starts with Kubels and work up through the 70s I believe. The only time I had a chance to buy a set they were several thousand but they have every style of VW with those 4 decades could be the way they were laid out. That was 15 years ago........

The Speed Racer fits our movie room. I have about 100 Herbie items and movie cards, plus a full Herbe deck lid. The Fahrvergnugen sign will work great on the big back wall.
lawn ninja
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that same speed racer one that I got from a dealership when they were updating the buildings about 10 years ago to the new corporate design. They had a storage area and had a bunch of literature, posters and parts books. I was doing the phone/data lines and the owner came in and asked who owned the GTI. When I told him it was me he took me into the storage area and let me have my pick of some stuff minus a few items he was keeping for himself. The dealership had been around a long time so I got some really cool air and water cooler stuff. Don't plan on getting rid of any of it because it looks nice in my man cave/office.

My 64 1500 S Notchback project here
My 58 sedan project here
My 63 Ghia here
BulliBill
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Dealership Concept 1 numbered drawing Reply with quote

JeffL wrote:
I had a chance to pick up a numbered Concept 1 drawing today when I picked up some other VW items from a dealership. What is the best way to determine the value. I would like to make a reasonable offer. This is from the owner of a past dealership so it has been his since new. It is a numbered piece.

I picked the Speedracer up in the frame it is 40X30 in size and is really nice.

I have that print of the design process of the new Beetle on my stairwell wall. It was a present from VWoA back in 1996 when as President of NEATO I attended a summit meeting in Detroit of national VW Club officers. When we saw one on an office wall, I commented on how cool it was, and a rep explained that it was a limited run of 500 prints, and each USA dealership received one and the remainder of them were held at the VWoA headquarters building at Farmington Hills. Oh... and would I like one? YES Maam! They eventually shipped a completely framed and well-padded boxed one to me a week later, mine is #469 of 500, and is signed in pencil by the artist with a certificate of authenticity and story about the commissioning of the piece by VWoA.

Sorry that I can't contribute to the discussion of current market value, but I thought I'd share what I knew about the new Beetle design print.

I also scored a couple of those Speed Racer posters, both large and smaller versions when they came out and have them stored away. I should really break one of them out and get one hung up too!

Bill
Thornton VW - Stockton

Thanks for any help!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Accessories/Memorabilia/Toys All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: