Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Several questions
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chinarider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 11:49 am    Post subject: Several questions Reply with quote

Just wondering if anyone can offer some insight into these not-so-urgent questions:

1) Why is it that some Things have their radio antenna mounted on the driver side, while others are mounted on the passenger side? Mine's mounted on the passenger side, and it looks to be stock, yet other stock-looking antennas are on the driver's side. (Are some Things "righties" and others "lefties"?) Further to this question, why do some antennas have an additional plastic support mount about midway up the mast, while others are only secured at the base?

2) Why do some doors have small holes both above and below the center of the door pocket, while others don't? I think in my Thing, both passenger-side doors have these factory holes, while both of the driver side doors don't. Surely it has to be more than just identifying left from right, no?

3) Has anyone figured out a good way to keep their rear seatbelts from: a) disappearing behind the back of the rear seat, and b) ending up on the floor pan in front or to the side of the rear seats?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TimGud
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1 not sure
2. I believe those are the screw holes for the small pull handles. On mine they are only on the front two doors.
3. The only way I have found that helps to keep the seet belts topside is to buckle them when not in use.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thinghunter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. There is no such thing as a stock antenna on a Thing, they were all dealer installed items and some dealers probably thought it was easier to drill on the side opposite the gas filler tube.

2. I sometimes sit in my Thing wondering that exact question.

3. Mine just lay in the seat until I move them.
Big Luni
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good questions (& answers)- My antenna's on the passenger side, and I've always wondered mine was different from others I've seen.

As for the holes, I've always assumed that there was one original set of dies made for the left side door, and the process to make dies for the right side doors used the original as a template, and the holes are left over from the process that ensured that the left door was a mirror image of the right one. Just a guess, though.

Rear seat belts? I'll let my passengers worry about that one, if they're so inclined. I'm reminded of a statement by the cab driver in "Old School."
germansupplyscott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Several questions Reply with quote

chinarider wrote:
Why do some doors have small holes both above and below the center of the door pocket, while others don't?

i am sure one of the european lads will back me up on this, the holes in the passenger door above and below the pocket are for some sort of map or paper clip thing. military stuff. i think i have a picture of a german thing that was for sale on ebay with these clips in place.
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some responses to your queries... Some fact some opinion..

Just wondering if anyone can offer some insight into these not-so-urgent questions:

1) Why is it that some Things have their radio antenna mounted on the driver side, while others are mounted on the passenger side? Mine's mounted on the passenger side, and it looks to be stock, yet other stock-looking antennas are on the driver's side. (Are some Things "righties" and others "lefties"?) Further to this question, why do some antennas have an additional plastic support mount about midway up the mast, while others are only secured at the base?

Since no US imported Thing came with an antenae, the possibilites are endless. Most US Things were set up with the two bolt mast. I have seen lots wiht the spring laoded single mount. Since I am an off-road guy, we mount our antenae under the front hood along the inside, out of harms way. No US Thing came wtih an antenae
2) Why do some doors have small holes both above and below the center of the door pocket, while others don't? I think in my Thing, both passenger-side doors have these factory holes, while both of the driver side doors don't. Surely it has to be more than just identifying left from right, no?

The Thing was produced at various locations form 68 - 80. Military Thing doors had a map clip. Civilian doors did not. I have a pciture on our RoMTOC CD wiht the clip in place. I suspect that parts got here an there with little intended in tems of the little holes.

3) Has anyone figured out a good way to keep their rear seatbelts from: a) disappearing behind the back of the rear seat, and b) ending up on the floor pan in front or to the side of the rear seats?

I removed the stock belts form both my Things and replaced them with the retracable types for a 73 beetle. They work great once you figure how to bolt them up. Pictures and part numbers available of this on request. K-mann
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: