Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Does anybody out there still just like air-cooled VW's?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there are two main groups of VW people. Old farts like me who drove them "back in the day" when they were new or slightly used and EVERYwhere; and younger drivers who grew up on plastic Detroit 80s/90s junk and are amazed to find a car made well and made out of metal, and it blows their minds.

Both have fun learning about the cars, fixing them, driving them, even they are coming at it from almost opposite places.

For me, having just one now (after the family's dozen over the years), and having not driven it for so many years, now having it restored and drivable on a daily basis like a new car... I love having "that" sound behind me again and it feels like home.
mrmdls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned VW's since I was 16 in 1976 when I bought my first bug from my algebra teacher. It was a 62 bug with a rebuilt engine, that he put it thru a stone wall at a Christmas party. Paid $50.00 for it, then turned around and bought a 64 bug with no engine for $50.00.

My current daily driver is a 67 bug that a high school student pulled out of a junk yard as a shop project at school. He patched the floors and luggage tray with sheet metal, rebuilt the engine and did a paint job on it. He then lost interest in the bug and let it sit at his father's garage, when I found it. There's very few 67 only parts on it, not the prettiest thing on the road. But while I'm rebuilding my 59 ragtop, it's a great driver and reminder to me how I got started in VW's.

edited for spelling
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
drscope
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You younger guys need to keep an open mind when it comes to any cars! The Volkswagens were really amazing, neat little cars. But there are also a lot of other very interesting machines out there to enjoy.

So don’t close your brain cell to just the VW’s. Enjoy them all!
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 wheels to 18 wheels.. I have interest in them all.
My signatures say what I mean...and live.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: