Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trouble shifting later transmission
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:36 am    Post subject: Trouble shifting later transmission Reply with quote

I'm having issues with going into first and second.
Here's the situation.
I now have a later swing axle with a bus nose cone and hockey stick.
Checked all the gears with trans on floor and all is good. Mounted, it only goes into 3rd and 4th with a little effort and reverse with a lot of effort. By looking at it, it seems that the shifter does not move far enough to right to have the dimple on the shift rod match up with shift coupler threaded opening.

Any ideas what to do? I worked on this all day yesterday and its driving me craaazy!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robert Chambers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had this same situation before. If memory serves me correctly, I think there are different Bus hockey sticks. One angles at the end and the other is straight where it makes contact with the shift rails. If you do not have the correct angle it will shift one side of the rails and not the other. I compared the angle of the original hockey stick with the new one I used to figure it out.
'63 OG 117
ghiafreek
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Figured it out!..sort of. I loosened up the shifter base plate pushed it down and to left and can now get into all the gears...with a little more effort than usual but I have all gears.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
65ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

its the pilot hole of the hockey stick. This typically has to be drilled by the individual. I had to re drill mine 2 times to make it perfect. luckily I have a welder.
1975 porsche 914 2 liter
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: