Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Split Tail light lenses
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Egypt Classic Cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Split Tail light lenses Reply with quote

Hi, I got these tail light lenses here it looks NOS but I am not sure if it is original or reproduction it printed on the glass
"Hella k 1401"

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Björn Schewe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, there are no reproduction of red casted glassas on the marked in reason of the complicated way to find a company who can cast real red coloured glas. If it is a copy, it is not a good idea to use the Hella-Logo and the protection sign without legitamition...
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are red glass repros around, but not that many. I have a box of several pairs of NOS originals ( in the VW box with the part number) and they do not have that etched glass Hella/#. No markings at all....

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Egypt Classic Cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I can see they are in perfect condition just some dust from being a lot of time, on the other hand I see that this printed text looks very old and I am sure it is not printed here in Egypt
However The man who have these lenses looking to sell them it is about 16 pieces, is it worth to buy them all? if so I can get them and trade them with other parts I need for my 1950 Split or 1953 Zwitter
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The original Hella's didn't have any markings. Perhaps at some point later than split production Hella was required to have markings for whatever reason. So instead of throwing out old stock or re-tooling they just etched them. would be the cheapest and easiest way to comply, especially if they were just spare parts at that point in time.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
Egypt Classic Cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
The original Hella's didn't have any markings. Perhaps at some point later than split production Hella was required to have markings for whatever reason. So instead of throwing out old stock or re-tooling they just etched them. would be the cheapest and easiest way to comply, especially if they were just spare parts at that point in time.

That is a reasonable remark, that means that these lenses are really NOS, thanks Chris
originalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before taking these lenses in consideration you should check if they have the correct diameters and geometry and such can be installed to split taillight housings.
In the Fifties there were made many round similar looking glass lenses for many different cars and motorbikes!

PS: To my knowledge HELLA split taillights never were marked with the HELLA logo in the glass. Glass uses to be without any markings. On the countrary HASSIA split taillight lenses were marked with the HASSIA logo in the center of lens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

originalo wrote:

PS: To my knowledge HELLA split taillights never were marked with the HELLA logo in the glass. Glass uses to be without any markings. On the countrary HASSIA split taillight lenses were marked with the HASSIA logo in the center of lens.

That is the only two versions I have seen.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Egypt Classic Cars wrote:
splitjunkie wrote:

That is a reasonable remark, that means that these lenses are really NOS, thanks Chris

I don't know this for a fact. It's just a theory. Unless someone can confirm it it is still just a theory.

johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly, the guy I bought my boxes of lenses from many years ago at the classic said he had bought a big parts lot that came out of Egypt. The are the kind with the aluminum ring around them (not visible when installed though, not like the '49 lenses) and the plastic diffuser bound to the back of them. No markings on the face...

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
franklinunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:

Hello my friends.

Not sure about that Rolling Eyes , this is a good point to someone confirm these lense, I have only one and if out there someone has one to sell let me know.

here it comes this lense, this hella is with makings but not pained, it is all in glass, to me looks original it was coming with the housing, is at home more than 20 years, besides that housing is hella, to me is original.

None of this is to sell Very Happy just to share and tell this lenses none has markings...hella or other. Only one lense has a marking hella, just see the pictures above.

Best Regards, I hope I was helping and not making more confusing with this Hella lense Very Happy
Guillermo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
Interestingly, the guy I bought my boxes of lenses from many years ago at the classic said he had bought a big parts lot that came out of Egypt. The are the kind with the aluminum ring around them (not visible when installed though, not like the '49 lenses) and the plastic diffuser bound to the back of them. No markings on the face...

thats funny he sold me a couple of the same boxes to me and he lives 5 minutes from my house Wink
itizmyne4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They have repo light.
http://www.repuestossam.com/en/parts-on-sale.htm

My brothers '63 RHD Oval

VW's are cars. Cars are not meant to leak oil. So if your VW leaks I think you should fix it. Be like me and have no leaks
franklinunes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi i decided to awake this thread because the lenses from Egypt are for sale today.

I realise that markings looks like the zwitter only heart lenses, the early one it looks like the same process...witch makes me think perhaps in time there was a later split lenses before the zwitter lenses...low manufacturing maybe just months before the new model

that lense I posted I discovered later it was from Brazil hella marked, witch makes me think and was pointed here maybe some country's by law was necessary to be marked.

Just a theory based on a natural progress in time

Regards
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: