Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Looking for: Houston area VW restore shop
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnWH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 9:13 am    Post subject: Looking for: Houston area VW restore shop Reply with quote

I have a 1967 Type 3 Fastback. I'm searching for a local shop that can handle the items below. I would prefer to find a shop that has experience with VWs, but it's not a requirement I don't think. I can strip the car down to just the body, frame, and suspension to help reduce the cost. I'd like to get a quote for the following major stuff. I simply don't have the room or tools to handle the big stuff.

Potential work before the work below is to change the suspension from single CV to dual CV and upgrade to disc brakes (front and rear).

- Body removed.
- Blast body and frame.
- Fix body work. (I have access to replacement panels, doors, etc. if needed)
- Frame repair (battery area, and other minor fixes)
- Powder coat frame and suspension parts (black)
- Maybe upgrade to power window actuators
- Color change body parts from original beige to Grenada Red (some fancy effects perhaps).
- Body back onto frame (new seals) as a rolling chassis.

From that point I can handle the rest of the resto/mod.

If anyone is or has info regarding a Houston area (W/NW preferred) shop that can quote the work I'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

John H
eschmidt14
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, JohnWH if your looking for a front beam i have one that has brand new balljoints and trailing arm bearings and is dropped four spline comes with everything but rotors $45 cleaning out garage also i have brand new type 3 manifolds from cb perf. $30 pm me if interested.
JohnWH
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Eschmidt14 I missed your post (and by a while too).

I'm repying to my original post because I'm back on the hunt for a reputable frame up restoration shop here in Houston. I simply don't have the space nor tools to do the work myself (for now) and I want to get the car done. I've done some Google searching but I'm hoping to find some recommendations instead of picking a random shop and regreting it.
bocarson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:50 pm    Post subject: Houston area body works Reply with quote

Try bugaholics in Passadena or the guy down by Hitchcock. Both been around a long time .. Google vw repair houston
KIDSPEED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a diligent search for customer feedback before settling on any one shop in the greater Houston area to handle all the work you have described. Unfortuneately Houston is not a hotbed of vintage Volkswagen enthusiasm & quality aircooled restoration shops are thin on the ground.

Known Houston area shops are:

-Smith Foreign off 225 in Pasadena area.
-Bug-o-holics also Pasadena.
-George Karacostas way south in Hitchcock.
-Texas Aircooled on the west side on beltway 8 near I-10.
-VW Wizard- John in the Porter area.

There was an outfit called Fountain of Youth (or something to that effect) in the League City area but i'm unsure if they are still in business. I'm sure there are probably 1 or 2 more but these are the main (&/or) surviving players. Unfortunately the number of VW specialty shops in this area have been disappearing in the last few years.

I do not use any of these establishments & so will not make recommendations either way, other than to repeat that you should diligently search for the opinions of those who have been into air-cooleds for a while & have experience dealing with these shops.

If you are un-aware of him, try Kermit at Kar parts (near big airport) for any parts needs. He may also have a recomendation on a resto shop.

You may do just as well searching out a highly regarded custom/streetrod/hotrod shop as if you find one willing to take on your VW they're likely to be able to handle the job effectively. The other option is D/FW. If you are willing to take the car up there, other competent options become available.

My one other suggestion is to attend the upcoming Texas VW Classic in Fredericksburg, Tx. on the weekend of the 19th/20th this month. It is one of if not the biggest VW show in the region. Talk to owners of cars you like there & maybe you'll find the craftsman(woman) you've been searching for.

Hope something here was helpful- Laurence.
vwpackrat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean Rides paint and body is about only VW guy around who I would trust with my VWs. He doesnt exclusively work on VWs but it is his specialty and he's owned many. He painted both my 62 vert and 67 westy many years ago. He is currently restoring (2) 21 window buses and has restored several 23 window buses and several barndoor buses along with many many beetles throughout the years. He works exclusively from his home shop and its just husband/wife operation. He does not do sand blasting though at his shop. As noted above about getting advice from Kermit at Kar Parts about a shop, well this is the guy who painted Kermits oval window and also his old yellow convertible for him years ago. He is located in Wallis, TX (near Sealy) about 45 mins from Houston. Give Steve or Tracie a call at 979-478-2746
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KIDSPEED
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah good one vwpackrat. I forgot about them out in Wallis. Actually wasn't sure if they were still around. I Have met that husband/wife team a while back & they seemed cool. Also have seen some nicely done VWs that were worked on by them .
shortride
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Caney Creek?

Retired US Army - 21 years 11B40, 173rd Airborne Brig. - Vietnam Combat Veteran
Joseph DR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Looking for: Houston area VW restore shop Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm looking for John, of VW Wizard in New Caney. I've texted and called him a number of times but no reply. I hope he's well.

His neighbor at Hott Cars Collison told me he moved out after Hurricane Harvey flooded his shop. He's now working out of his residential garage. The new number/address he posted on his shop is no longer there.

I called Kermit but couldn't get a hold of him. He's the guy who referred me to John in the first place.

Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: