Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Kyle's 59 Ghia
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
themacnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thread title updated. Thank you! Cool
djway3474
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a LUCKY 14 year old Very Happy A lot of the hard to find goodies are there and that is very cool. Be extra special careful with the upper chrome on the door panels. Very hard to find originals. Only way to get it after market is to buy a WW bus interior kit and make what you need.
As for junk yards, I have purchased many VW and Porsche at junk yards that need as little work as finding a key, one small dent that pushed out with my hand and this weekend my friends scored one that just needs a tune up. All at junk yards.
Good luck guys, if it is anything like your bug this is gonna be a stunner.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
themacnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2013 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks. Cool
sparkleplenty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeff, congrats on moving into the lowlight world...In my opinion, you have found Kyle a very solid candidate. There is nothing better than watching a "father-son" project come together...I have seen your work first hand. If anyone is capable from taking a project from beginning to end, it is you...I can't wait to see your progress. Kyle is a lucky young man...My '56 will eventually end up with Blake, my six year old...These are the types of things that teach our youth about perseverance, work ethic, problem solving, teamwork etc...Hats off to you.... Very Happy

"Give a man a fish, feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, feed him for a lifetime."

"Only when the tide goes out do you discover who is swimming naked."
toddb_67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been watching this car since I first spotted the craigslist ad out here in Washington. I seriously considered getting the car and tried to talk a buddy into getting it too but it wasn't meant to be.
I'm glad to see it is in capable hands and will get done right. Good luck with your project and I look forward to seeing your progress. Consider me subscribed to this thread. Popcorn
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=714683
1974 Karmann Ghia- current project, 1967cc engine. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=775207
“I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.” - Dudley Field Malone
themacnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russell and Todd. Cool
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sparkleplenty wrote:
Jeff, congrats on moving into the lowlight world...In my opinion, you have found Kyle a very solid candidate. There is nothing better than watching a "father-son" project come together...I have seen your work first hand. If anyone is capable from taking a project from beginning to end, it is you...I can't wait to see your progress. Kyle is a lucky young man...My '56 will eventually end up with Blake, my six year old...These are the types of things that teach our youth about perseverance, work ethic, problem solving, teamwork etc...Hats off to you.... Very Happy

By any chance, are either one of you looking to adopt another son? Very Happy
If so, I'm available - and since I'm 50, you wouldn't have to worry about dealing with another teenager or saving for another college education.
themacnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
sparkleplenty wrote:

By any chance, are either one of you looking to adopt another son? Very Happy
If so, I'm available - and since I'm 50, you wouldn't have to worry about dealing with another teenager or saving for another college education.

LOL. Very Happy
Bad Hippie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates? How's the project going?
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

themacnut wrote:
gondiwindi wrote:
Simply trying to state that this car is not the gem that is being portrayed in this thread. Someone's going to have to dig deep to get it road worthy. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't restored a car in this condition.

There's a reason why it was found in a junk yard. I have learned my own lessons to be interested in a car like this. I'd like to see the end product, especially when someone else's cash and time has been invested into it.

Gondiwindi no reason to worry.... The Ghia is in good hands.....

Here is part of my resume.... My last project. You can go through my pictures if you would like to see more of the work we have done. We got this. Very Happy

Before...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

After.....

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy awesome, that is the best reply to such a remark!!!! Twisted Evil
Silence the critics, and just do what you want with the car. I know for sure that it will be a winner in the end! Cool

Last edited by tisius on Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:59 am; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tisius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gondiwindi wrote:

Simply trying to state that this car is not the gem that is being portrayed in this thread. Someone's going to have to dig deep to get it road worthy. Anyone that says otherwise hasn't restored a car in this condition.

And that's where you're SOOOOOOOO wrong...... this car IS a gem. It's not wearing it's sunday suit yet, but it's all in there. the substance is very decent, you have no idea of what you're talking about. It will not take 10 years to get it road worthy in the Samba world .... not sure what tools you are using, but they're no good if it would take that long Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
themacnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 11, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyle's has been focused on school, collecting parts, and researching his Ghia. It has been a great learning experience so far, and he and his brother, and a few friends, have all been pitching in.

I took care of the paperwork, and found a nice original set of YOM plates for the car with a 59 sticker. The DMV is always fun, but this went relatively smoothly. Just received the new title this week, so we are good to go.

Kyle has been over every inch of the car. Taken a few things apart, and decided to take care of the off color door.

Here he is getting some good experience with the DA, sanding down the door.

His brother and his friend Eddie also pitched in.

Masked off and sprayed his first primer.

After a little research, we learned the door is for a later car, and doesn't have the correct check rod placement. So added a 59 driver's door to the list of what we need.

Sourced some of the metal needed for the car. Found a nice donor clip with solid original metal for the engine compartment area. And a new set of floor pans, from KlassicFab.

Since Kyle is doing a resto custom build on this car, we turned to our buddy Greg at Vintage Warehouse for some new running gear. Greg discussed with Kyle what he was looking for, and put together a beautiful beam and tranny setup, with everything nicely detailed.

Next up on the list, is the Ghia needs a slight pull in the front right on the frame rack, to make sure everything is where it needs to be. Then Kyle will work on pulling the body, and break down the chassis, to get the pan ready for blasting and pan halves. Over the next several months this will be the focus, then detailing and building the rolling chassis. Summer is coming, so the project should progress nicely. Stay tuned.....
theghiagirl
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jeff,

Congrats on the lowlight and it looks like a great project for you and your sons to work on together. I love that color!

Are you sure about the door issue? The only reason that I ask is that I looked at the pictures and noticed that both doors have the ice pick style interior handles which would be 1963 and earlier and it looked like the passenger side had the later style hinge with a piece of a later style broken check strap. Also...the door check straps changed somewhere around 1959 1/2. So, if your lowlight was built late 1959 it should have the later style check strap. The reason that I know this is that I owned a very OG Pearl white 1959 cabriolet that was built in June of 1959 and it had the later style check straps.

I'm not sure about your plans with the engine compartment, but just wanted to let you know that the lowlight Ghias had a smaller opening for the engine. It looks like your replacement clip may be from an early 60's pacific blue Ghia. By the looks of the front end and transmission I'm assuming you'll be going with something larger than 36hp.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
63karmanng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely following this thread! Can't wait to see the finished product!
supersteven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been awhile since I checked in on this thread.. I miss this Ghia! Looking good Kyle, love what you're doing with it!
themacnut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Summer is here, school is out, other projects have progressed, so time for some work on the Ghia!

Kyle and I took the Ghia down to our buddy Dave's shop (Metal and bodywork master). If you want to see some of Dave's handiwork, look at the pics of my 63 ragtop. He did all the metal and bodywork (and many other things).

Dave had looked at the Ghia, and noticed it had been hit in the right front before. Gaps and fender shape on the front right need some work. So he is going to do a pull, and massage things a bit before we proceed.

After that Kyle is jumping in with both feet, and will get his first taste of disassembly on the Ghia. The body will be unbolted, and body and pan separated. Break down the pan, and get ready for the pan half replacement.

Stay tuned for more updates in the coming month.

Loren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to take tons of photos before you take things apart and more as you remove parts. You can never take enough photos! Get some zip-lock bags and label the parts, so you know what they are. Don't throw anything away! You might think some parts are too far gone to use, and you might be right, but save them anyway. Even if you don't use them they are often good for reference and in some cases you can use pieces from them to repair replacement parts. Last but not least, take your time! Use lots of PB blaster to loosen rusty nuts and bolts and try not to break any bolts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
supersteven
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on this car? Would love to see pics on the progress!
vegasSTEVE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Kyle's 59 Ghia Reply with quote

any updates on this project? i'm doing a '59 LL Coupe as well... mine was "completely hammered" compared to yours..... i stashed mine away for 25 years hoping to rebuild it with my son, he's almost 40 now... so I am doing it now..... he'll end up with it.... but for now, my $$$, my car LOL

would really enjoy seeing your progress with this father/son(s) project!
Las Vegas Volkswagen Club-1997 (Founding Member) An Officially Licensed VWoA Club
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: