Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

165 vs 185 tires
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
xbacax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:22 am    Post subject: 165 vs 185 tires Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm running 186/60 on 5,5 stock rear rims. Well..... I'd like to change them to 165/80 or 185/80 or something in between Smile
I would like to ask which of those would be better ? I mean .. any noticeable changes in performance ? My engine is not a nuclear blast Tongue
It has around 70 hp.

What do You think ?? Wink

Have a nice day
johnR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your car isn't lowered, 195/65 is a good fit for 5.5" rims and is about the same diameter as the stock 165/80 tires. 185/65 is slightly smaller but would have less of a bulge on the 5.5" rims.

Either size is very common and you can find very good quality tires at pretty cheap prices.

(I wouldn't go narrower than 175 or wider than 205 on a 5.5" rim).

I bought tires recently-- just need to get the steel rims blasted and painted-- I'll be putting 175/60 on the front and 205/60 on the rear on 5.5" rims. I need the smaller tires on the front because I'll be lowering the car. The 205/60 on the rear is the limit and I probably should have bought 195/60 instead, but live and learn.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vredestein makes a 185/70-15, with a diameter of 25.2", which is very close to the diameter of a 195/65-15 tire (25.0").

http://www.vulcantire.com/cgi-bin/tiresearch.cgi

Nankang makes a 165/80-15 tire with a 25.4" diameter.

http://www.discounttiredirect.com/direct/searchTir...amp;cs=165
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
xbacax
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply Smile

I heard that in small displacement engines like mine, a short diameter tires ( 22') give a better acceleration, and 1/4 mile time ?? and tall tires are just cal-look fashion Wink

What do You think ?
911pickup
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you do any highway/freeway driving I'd stay away from a low profile tire.
FRNKNSTNGHIA
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

911pickup wrote:
If you do any highway/freeway driving I'd stay away from a low profile tire.

+1 I agree, go with widest tire you can fit. Im running 185/65/15 Falkens ZE-512
luckystiff
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xbacax wrote:
Thanks for reply Smile

I heard that in small displacement engines like mine, a short diameter tires ( 22') give a better acceleration, and 1/4 mile time ?? and tall tires are just cal-look fashion Wink

What do You think ?

faster to get up to speed but also faster to top out and start winding your engine up to much to high revs.

"stock" wheels would be 4.5 so unless you have widened versions that is what you have. 185/65/15 and 195/65/15 are both good options on 5.5" wide wheels. 185/70/15 are also good but not as common to find s the above two. i forget what they came from but i had a pair of 175/75/15 years ago that were a great rear tire. since my cars are usually lowered and cambered out in the back i tend to buy good used rear tires. i dropped by my regular tire guy and he had taken them off whatever car they came on and thaught of me and stuck them aside. he saved all 4 that came off it but the front 2 were badly worn. i've seen some of those pop up on ebay since but it was never at a time when i needed them....ken...
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd be surprised how well 165/60's work on 5.5" rims. I have Nankang 165/80's on my 5.5" sprints and they don't look too narrow. So if you're struggling to fit a wider tyre they might be an option. I much prefer how a taller tyre drives, having a better top end speed is way better than a little better acceleration

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
leowagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: 165 vs 185 tires Reply with quote

old thread but, I'll post a question here. Has anyone installed 185/65 all terrain tires in a 4Jx15 rim from a 1957 bug with standard stance?
Typ3nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 165 vs 185 tires Reply with quote

The 185/65 Rim Width Range is from 5" - 6.5", to wide for a 4" rim.
145/65 RWR is 4" - 5"
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: