Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

90.5's or 94's?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: JPM 94 mm cylinders Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
VWCool,

my observation on this is you are simply trying to start arguments, and attack people. You have no intention of doing anything beneficial for the hobby nor for this forum. It has nothing to do with engines.

That is really disappointing comment from you John.

Maybe you should re-read my posts; I have done little more than ask for evidence...

...EVIDENCE...

....that 94 bore barrels "run hot" and are therefore a poor choice for a performance street or track engine.

This will benefit everyone as it means people will be able to make an informed engine building decision based on facts, not myth or rumour.

All that has been presented so far, apart from my own 160000km etc claims is a pack of "theories" and "common sense." Laughing

I am simply asking for the '94s run hot' mob to present something a little more substantial than "Oh! Everyone knows that!!!!!!!!!!".

As a hint, I even presented a hypothetical (!) situation of a car company development engineer and a legitimate testing regime as an example of the type of information I was looking for...not campfires and 'look at the fins'.

If the '94s run hot' propaganda was true, my first 94 bore kit would have dissolved before many people reading this were born.

Instead, I have spent a pleasant evening tonight preparing it for the drags later this week. This is a 94 bore kit that was manufactured sometime prior to 1985 (yes 1985) and has powered several cars (mine and others) to sub-16s and driven AT LEAST 160,000km.

My other 94-kitted engine will be running at a sprint event soon. This is an engine that has competed in more than 30 events over the past two years. I will be giving it an oil change on Friday. Jeez I might even take off the rocker covers and look for some 'blow-by!'

It spits in excess of 110HP to the dyno, spins to 7500 rpm every time I turn it on and pulls 13.8s... so far.

John - or anyone - please tell me when I can expect my own two bore kits to 'warp' or 'increase blow-by' or 'reduce power' so I can start saving money for a 1640 or a 1776?

Last edited by VWCOOL on Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:26 am; edited 4 times in total
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: JPM 94 mm cylinders Reply with quote

raul arrese wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
VWCool,

my observation on this is you are simply trying to start arguments, and attack people. You have no intention of doing anything beneficial for the hobby nor for this forum. It has nothing to do with engines.

Thats what im talking about !!! All Cool says is that No one can prove that 94's dont last as long as other bores, Know one person can prove allot of stuff , and whatever works for me might not work for you .. too many variables ... duh !!!! I run E-85 and as much compression and advance as i want .. Lets argue about that ??

We are not discussing other variables, Raul, we are discussing the unverified claim that '94s run hot' and are therefore a poor choice for an engine that will result in overheating, excess blowby and blah blah blah...

yes, I would like to hear about E85. I have high static compression and I have been considering E85. But: I will begin another thread...
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Driven5 wrote:
jeff68 wrote:
So, VWCOOL - let's see your data, hard numbers. Got any???
I have recently begun learning as much as possible about these engines (for a potential future project) and I too would like to see any measured technical data VWCOOL has collected that supports his premise that 94's run identical temperatures, and have an identical lifespan, as any other setup under identical conditions. Anybody who provides nothing more than unsubstantiated anecdotal evidence to support their own claims while hypocritically demanding a full engineering analysis, without accepting any fundamental engineering theory or opposing unsubstantiated anecdotal evidence as a rebuttal, does nothing but throw away any credibility they might have otherwise had.

Like me, you should instead be asking the 94s run hot mob to back up their claim about 94s with blowby, warpage and power loss as I am NOT the one making the allegation about the poor performance of 94s!

My 'data' as I have shared several times. Summary; My own 94s - and thousands more 94s - perform on street and track without any of the alleged issues of blow-by, warpage, etc etc etc and have done for decades.

Last edited by VWCOOL on Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
75smith
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: JPM 94 mm cylinders Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:

It spits in excess of 110HP to the dyno, spins to 7500 rpm every time I turn it on and pulls 13.8s... so far.

John - or anyone - please tell me when I can expect my own two bore kits to 'warp' or 'increase blow-by' or 'reduce power' so I can start saving money for a 1640 or a 1776?

what are your temps? you cant ask for others if you can't also provide
what are your measurements for out of round? see above

your cylinders will warp when you OVERHEAT multiple times, or you start detonating from poor ignition, or....any other problems that cause excess force and heat

I think because you are so interested in the values you need to build the same "exact" engine, stock and 1915, then post your results with all values, jetting, ignition compression, temperature etc, after running them without a fan for 20 minutes, then tell us which bore is the most out of round, and which engine got hotter
VWCOOL wrote:

..making the allegation about the poor performance of 94s!

........wait, when did anyone say 94's were a poor choice for performance? I thought the whole discussion was reliability AND performance, performance- hell yeah run the 94's; want extra insurance with reliability AND performance, run a cylinder with thicker walls-course I think the whole reliability thing only comes into play on heavy vehicles, buses, things, type 3's where you can overheat an engine quicker by overloading it

I mean it doesn't take a scientist to know thinner materials of the same composition will bend easier then of the the same thicker material-this is probably why we still don't see truck frames made from 22 gauge steel....

My engine build
AlteWagen
Troll

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, how do you measure the cylinders for out of round? Bore gauge? Feeler gauge? Even cross hatch after hone? Compression test or leak down?

I know a few people who claim their engines never run hot but they have no instrumentation to actually monitor temps.

I know another guy that says that his thin wall 92s have been no problem in his camper for years, never runs hot and is a daily driver. What he doesnt say is the engine leaks a ton of oil from blow by, the cht sender is connected to one of the cylinder head tin screws, and his daily commute is only 100 yards from home to work if that.

Here is my own personal experience with a set of 94mm Cimas from 87 that I have put close to 100K miles myself in various engines and vehicles under my heavy teenage foot. I got them used so really have no idea how many miles they had before. My first build was in a light weight street/drag bug running high compression, NoS, external oil cooler and no gauges. I got around 40K before I tore it down to do a cam change and inspect. I then de tuned it, hone and re ring new heads and stuck it in my 63 bus/parts hauler. Another 30K or so in that application weighted down with load most of the time, again no gauges but with a stock doghouse cooling system. Another hone and re ring and a web cam and it went into a baja for 20K+ before it was retired and disassembled around 2005. In the baja it took some regular off road beatings blasting fire roads and chugging around at low rpm. Still no cht gauge but the engine seemed happy with the open engine compartment and all the cooling air.

Last year I took them out of storage and put together a "shop floor" engine. Now that Im older I run gauges in all my rides and have a bore gauge to actually measure for out of round. Guess what, all of the cylinders were just slightly out of round. Since the entire long block was going to cost less than a set of new P&C I just said fuck it and put it together and figured it for a round the town beater. After break in I performed a compression test and surprisingly the numbers were not as bad as expected and the engine ran well despite some oil leaks. Did they work? Yes. Was there blowby? Not excessive. Would an 80%r know any better? No.

What I dont know is how long the cylinders were out of round since at that time I didnt have a bore gauge. Were they wasted when I got them? Who knows.

Moral of the story...ignorance is bliss, and some are more blissful than others Wink
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: JPM 94 mm cylinders Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:
raul arrese wrote:
[email protected] wrote:
VWCool,

Thats what im talking about !!! All Cool says is that No one can prove that 94's dont last as long as other bores, Know one person can prove allot of stuff , and whatever works for me might not work for you .. too many variables ... duh !!!! I run E-85 and as much compression and advance as i want .. Lets argue about that ??

We are not discussing other variables, Raul, we are discussing the unverified claim that '94s run hot' and are therefore a poor choice for an engine that will result in overheating, excess blowby and blah blah blah...

yes, I would like to hear about E85. I have high static compression and I have been considering E85. But: I will begin another thread...

My point was that there is no real way to argue this theory , everyone runs or abbuses there motors in diffrent ways , allso many diffrent type fans , compression , boost , advance ... whatever ... if you can make your 94 motor last forever than good for you , stop asking for proof .. i try all kinds of crazy shit , im happy if it just runs for a week ...
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: JPM 94 mm cylinders Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:

Maybe you should re-read my posts; I have done little more than ask for evidence...

...EVIDENCE...

Its in the post after all the "evidence" you posted that proved the statement was "bunk"....

We understand your argument, and john summed it up pretty well with the Russian roulette statement. FTR, I like 94s.... I think they serve their purpose wonderfully... Like I said previously, that doesn't blind me to their shortcomings as it has you.

If you want you could search through the tech forums and find enough failures of every size to conclude that the "evidence" shows that none of them are gonna last..... but that'd be just as silly as concluding that relatively simple science is wrong because you have not experienced it.... I've never been struck by lightening nor won the lottery, but tomorrow is another opportunity!

GEX has. Just sayin
raul arrese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe cool's 94's last forever cause he doesnt make any real power and has 5 to 1 compression ?? just a thought ?
jeff68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raul, buginnva, Altewagen, 75smith - You all understand what I was asking and restated what i had said, thanks. It's clear VVWCOOL didn't answer and maybe doesn't understand. Maybe his old highly used 94 pistons and cylinders are working great and to the highest level of performance possible.....but maybe they're not. Clearly from his statements / writings they are working good enough for him, and that's great for him. From what he posts he hasn't collected data, measured the parts or monitored their performance and that's fine. IMO you can tell people what you THINK works from "evidence" like this and nothing more. To really know you have to collect accurate, real measured data and performance results. Take his information for what it's worth to you and use your own jusdgement that's what I do.
[email protected]
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: JPM 94 mm cylinders Reply with quote

VWCOOL,

you are asking (demanding) for evidence, when you are incapable of providing any of your own to counter the experience we have offered you.

I've been in this hobby for over 35 years. I've been through and seen a lot. 94s have always had a "reputation". I think a lot of it was since 92s were so bad, how in the World could 94s not be worse?

I am also commonly mis-quoted. I have always said that 94s run hotTER, I never said they run hot. I can give you conditions that will burn up a 1300 or 1600. The more displacement the easier it is to do if you are not paying attention.

There is nothing wrong with 94s, but I have always said I would not run them on

Convertibles
THINGS
Busses
Type 3s

92TWs are ideal for these applications.

That being said I run 94s for most everything else. So asking my why they "don't work" is kind of pointless, since I like them a lot.

Please do NOT send me Private Messages through the Samba PM System (I will not see them). Send me an e-mail to john at aircooled dot net

"Like" our Facebook page at
http://www.facebook.com/vwpartsaircoolednet
and get a 5% off code for use on one order for VW Parts ON OUR PARTS STORE WEBSITE, vwparts.aircooled.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raul arrese wrote:
Maybe cool's 94's last forever cause he doesnt make any real power and has 5 to 1 compression ?? just a thought ?

That's a fair question for a newcomer to this thread/conversation, but go back through the thread and I think it is plain to see at every opportunity, I have offered my experience with my engines as my "evidence":

Summary: One of my engines has a bore kit that dates to 1985 and I have driven it in excess of 160,000km in my street Cal car. It is now in a 7000rpm, 75RWHP engine that has seen more track than street in the past five years.

My other engine... this is a comp/track engine I have just two hours ago returned from a 50km 'cruise' to the pub Smile to check it for its next competition outing on Easter Sunday.

Last time out, it ran a 13.85 so it's not exactly running a 35PICT and 9.5:1 compression Smile

Last edited by VWCOOL on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:21 am; edited 1 time in total
VWCOOL
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: JPM 94 mm cylinders Reply with quote

[u]
[email protected] wrote:
VWCOOL,

you are asking (demanding) for evidence, when you are incapable of providing any of your own to counter the experience we have offered you.

I've been in this hobby for over 35 years. I've been through and seen a lot. 94s have always had a "reputation". I think a lot of it was since 92s were so bad, how in the World could 94s not be worse?

I am also commonly mis-quoted. I have always said that 94s run hotTER, I never said they run hot. I can give you conditions that will burn up a 1300 or 1600. The more displacement the easier it is to do if you are not paying attention.

There is nothing wrong with 94s, but I have always said I would not run them on

Convertibles
THINGS
Busses
Type 3s

92TWs are ideal for these applications.

That being said I run 94s for most everything else. So asking my why they "don't work" is kind of pointless, since I like them a lot.

John (and others) at least half-a-dozen times in this thread, I have mentioned my evidence, my experience, of a bore kit from 1985, and in excess of 160,000km of use in my favourite 'street' motor .. and this was after 40,000km of being FLOGGED by its previous owner, including hundreds of quarter-mile runs.

No problems with the 94s.

I started this engine today and thought: 'wow - 30 years old next year!' (it was supposed to go drags on Wed night but the clutch is slipping with the extra HP I've given it)

My other 94-bore motor has been run as a comp engine for two years. <broken CD player> it does 13.8s and I have just this evening (Good Friday) returned from a 30-mile trek for a beer... just for fun. I don't do that often, as it is an expensive purpose-built motor in a caged car on semi-slicks but I DO do it every couple of months.

My engine builder has machined and built thousands of 1916s; maybe hundreds have gone into Kombis/Busses. For several years in the 1990s, his own tow car was a Type 3 Square with a torquer 1916. It used to carry his family, his open-wheel race car on a trailer and all his provisions/tools/fuel for a weekend of racing. It cruised at 60MPH for hundred of miles.

Several of the blokes I compete with here in Australia have 1916s. We all compete hard, have our own 'secrets' but get on well and camp/stay together track-side.

John, I am not asking just YOU for evidence that '94s run hot' so are a poor choice for a street performance motor...

I am asking ANYONE and EVERYONE who has ever written the words: '94s run hot' or 'suffer blow by' or 'warp barrels' or '92s are better' or 'they wont last' or 'are more reliable' or 'will last longer' or 'won't give problems' or 'Build a 1776'... or ... or...

...to provide EVIDENCE. Not theory... not what Berg claimed when he found himself with a shed full of instantly old-stock 92s when the 94s were released in '83, not some BS lifted from a pee-pee-pulling teenager on another forum...but evidence.

I have responded to you directly, John, because you accused me of starting arguments, attacking people, not being beneficial etc in previous posts. Others; Quokka, 75etc have thrown similar insults instead of focusing on the discussion.

Bad idea. I'm an enthusiast with almost as much time in the game as you. I simply want to see the evidence - metallurgical, engineering etc etc etc , from all the "experts" who have written that 94s warp.... yadda, yadda

It's a really... really... really... simple request.

Eight pages. Still not even one pic of a busted/warped/sagged/cracked 94, or so much as an oil temp reading. FFS....

Anyhow, after my 30-mile cruise tonight, I'm off to another event where I will no-doubt kick some GM/Ford V8/Porsche/EVO/GTR/WRX/BRZ/86/Legacy butt and have a great time showing how fast and fun a VW can be.

Last edited by VWCOOL on Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:29 am; edited 1 time in total
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWCool,
That was a well thought out post; however, I think that the type of evidence you are looking for is not going to be found here by ANYONE on this board. It sounds to me like you are not asking for experience or even testing done on VW's but more of a testing done on the properties of the metal or alloys used in construction of the parts. The only people who know that specifically are going to be the foundries who produce these parts and then to prove each alloy's heat transfer rates or warp-ability or whatever detail you are looking for.
Each person who has replied with their experience has not been sufficient proof and even common sense theory is not good enough to "Prove" that there is a difference. Frankly there are too many variables besides just the size of the piston and the thickness or type of material used for the parts. There is compression, Tune, cooling efficiency, cooling effects of intake charge etc, etc... So many factors.
The basics that we can all assume to be correct are:
1) More surface area equal more friction and heat.
2) More power equal more heat
3) Larger size and less fin area equal more heat retention or less heat dissipation; however you want to look at it.
4) Thicker metal heats and cools more stable and resists warp/crack more than thin metal.
5) Thicker metal has more structural integrity.
6) Wider pistons do not release heat out to the cylinders and away faster than smaller pistons therefor they increase the chances for detonation.

Here is a 94 Cylinder that was cracked due to heat and then subsequent detonation (I am assuming).

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockurob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Popcorn

70 Baja Street Rod Project
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1644125.jpg
Drag Buggy project:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1726674.jpg
61 Rag Project:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1188580
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Think There's no secret as to why Cool's engines don't run hot. d'oh! He lives in Australia so his engines are always running upside down. Therefore the cylinders are always bathed in massive amounts of oil that keeps them cool. Laughing
neil68
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: Re: JPM 94 mm cylinders Reply with quote

VWCOOL wrote:

I am asking ANYONE and EVERYONE who has ever written the words: '94s run hot' or 'suffer blow by' or 'warp barrels'

Eight pages. Still not even one pic of a busted/warped/sagged/cracked 94, or so much as an oil temp reading. FFS....

Actually, several have replied with their experiences in these 8 pages...you are just throwing it back and refusing to believe it.

I already gave my best/worst example: 23,000 miles (37,000 km) from a 1914 cc in my '69 Westfalia . I don't have any photos, as that was from many years ago, but I did measure them to find out why I was losing power (oval cylinders).

I too have been in this hobby for over 35 years, and can't even begin to count the number of acquaintances who have had similar poor results with 94's. As I said earlier, they have a nickname: "half-life cylinders", since they last about half as long as a stock kit, or the 90.5's and 88's. You will often see 40-50,000 miles, but rarely 80-100,000 (I'm only aware of one instance ever in a light dune buggy, and yours would be the second).

I've also agreed that 94's are a great kit and make excellent power. My current 94's have my street/strip Beetle running 12's in the quarter mile. I'll let everyone know when the time arrives, as to how many total miles I ultimately obtain from this kit.

I've used 90.5's extensively over the last 35 years and have never had to replace them...even after 120,000 miles+ in one of my 1776's. So to the original poster (who has now taken his question to another forum), I simply replied with my experience.

Now, VW COOL, when are you going to send the OP a 94 mm kit and provide a warranty for 100,000 miles?

Der Kleiner Rennwagens
68 Beetle 2332 cc, 204 WHP
12.5 seconds @ 107 mph
Dynojet Test: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9B_H3eklAo
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It still baffles me why no company has stepped up and created 92's or 94's with more meat in the main section of the barrel and added larger fins Then simply stamped out larger Cylinder cooling Tin to match the cooling needs to keep them round for 100k miles. Seems like a no brainer for a company like CB Performance, Empi or BugPack or even AA at this point.
My 2498 Turbo Re-Build Thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5578697#5578697

3rd Brake Light Safety Stars- I still have a couple with blue light left. Email me if interested.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockurob
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:
It still baffles me why no company has stepped up and created 92's or 94's with more meat in the main section of the barrel and added larger fins Then simply stamped out larger Cylinder cooling Tin to match the cooling needs to keep them round for 100k miles. Seems like a no brainer for a company like CB Performance, Empi or BugPack or even AA at this point.

why should they go to the extra expense and tooling....???
for VW enthusiasts are still buying their current stock, good and/or bad

70 Baja Street Rod Project
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1644125.jpg
Drag Buggy project:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1726674.jpg
61 Rag Project:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=1188580
yamaducci
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rockurob wrote:
yamaducci wrote:

why should they go to the extra expense and tooling....???
for VW enthusiasts are still buying their current stock, good and/or bad

Out of the box thinking is why...
They could have done this years ago and made tons of money back. Also the tooling isn't that hard to do with all the CNC equipment there is today. They would only need to come up with one new cylinder Mold. I am sure companies like AA are not buying old Mahle or Cofap molds so they are making their own anyway. I can think of half a dozen companies that all have their own originals.

Dan Ruddock
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yamaducci wrote:

Don't think that would solve it, the problem is the bore spacing and the flats on the side of the cylinder to clear the bore next door. The cylinder is not the same strength all the way around. Maybe slots cut into the cylinder fins to try to equalize strength. The fins are a large part of the cylinders strength. Cylinders also warp from uneven temps all the way around. All of this is why air cooled engines need more bore spacing for a given piston size than a water cooled engine.

Dan
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: