Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you got a certificate then we could compare notes and maybe figure some of this out.

The manual I have has a print date of Aug 63, so it’s for a '64.

It doesn't clearly say E on the front cover, or inside like yours, but does in small print on the back (sorry for the blurry photo). It shows an S trim car with a single carb. It's also a different colour (blue) from those here in the Technical section.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobnorman wrote:
Decided to try a battery, just to see if anything was working… got one headlight and the wipers Shocked . I did notice that the push button unit was a little wobbly, and some of the buttons were sticking, so I decided to pull it. I guess I’m going to find out what a rebuild on one of these looks like, as I don’t think I’m going to find one around here (or anywhere) very easily. Sad It'll be a learning experience if nothing else, I don't have much to lose.

So, the push button re-build went fairly well… I think. Haven’t tested it yet so time will tell. There's a reason the washer button is held on with zip ties, if it all works I'll permanently reattach it.

I did it as a separate thread so people could find it easier if someone else wanted to try it. Here’s the link:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=552951
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to tackle replacing the fuse block, as there was a broken 12 fuse unit in the car.

I bought a 10 fuse unit from a seller here, but one of the mounting tabs was cracked off and missing.

I soaked it in lemon juice, got most of the gunk and tarnish off…
The minis are to take up volume, as I didn't have enough lemon juice to top it up. Very Happy

Then gave it a rinse with baking soda to neutralize the acid.
Cleaned up pretty good. I used some jb weld plastic filler to recreate the missing bit.

roughly shaped it with a file.

Quick splash of good old Testors, put a clip on from another broken unit, and Bob’s your mother’s brother.

Now that this and the PB unit are done, I'll reinstall them, and see what works, and where I am with the wiring...
t3kg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work you're doing there Bob.
2011: 50 Years of the VW Type 3 / September 29–October 1 / California Central Coast
VWNotcher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got my notchbacks birth certificate today.
VIN 315000773
Build date aug3 1964
Sold in Vancouver BC Canada
I also have the m253 and m442 on my sheet.
But I also have m119 eberspacher heater so I can't see those other two codes referring to a heater.
It came with all proper S trim and interior but no side markers, a TS badge and yes u guessed it M003 which is a single carbed engine. It didn't come with the original motor, so the m003 really surprised me.
Sounds like your car had similar options, but was delivered to the other end of the country a few months earlier Smile

It also shows
M260 no rear fold down armrest
M297 sealed beam headlights and red tail lights
L87 pearl white
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VWNotcher wrote:
Just got my notchbacks birth certificate today.
VIN 315000773
Build date aug3 1964
Sold in Vancouver BC Canada
I also have the m253 and m442 on my sheet.
But I also have m119 eberspacher heater so I can't see those other two codes referring to a heater.
It came with all proper S trim and interior but no side markers, a TS badge and yes u guessed it M003 which is a single carbed engine. It didn't come with the original motor, so the m003 really surprised me.
Sounds like your car had similar options, but was delivered to the other end of the country a few months earlier Smile

It also shows
M260 no rear fold down armrest
M297 sealed beam headlights and red tail lights
L87 pearl white

Hey, so yours was built exactly 6 months after mine, and by the looks of it was the 773rd 1965 built; probably the earliest 65 left around now too.

Mine was actually delivered to Vancouver too, from there it somehow made its way to Goose Bay, Labrador (VWs were big there due to the German military presence)

So, again with the S trim and a single carbed engine from the factory, that would make yours an E car. Interesting that it has the TS badge…Any sign of an E badge on the licence plate housing? As in:

As for the M codes:

So we both have the 253, which as he said above, Tram thinks might have to do with being an E car, we need to hear from a few more E owners to see if the theory holds up. I also think it could be deleted side markers.

I have a 297 which is the same as yours “sealed beam headlights and red rear lenses” but then mine goes on to say “sideways blinking lights, without headlight flasher”. Does yours say that? I’ve asked what that means but haven’t gotten a response.

I have an M 445 and you have an M 442 (or was that a typo?) …still not sure what that is. Everett had a ‘63 with that M code and on his birth certificate it said “M 445 Canada Equipment”, Tram’s theory is that it could be the substitution of the “1500” badge for the “Variant” again, sounds plausible to me. So if I'm right on the side markers, and Tram is right on the 1500 badge, that would make sense for both of our certificates (if your 442 was a typo).

Also, I don’t have the m260 listed, but I don’t think that any squares came with a fold down arm rest, so that would make sense.

Anyway, good hearing from you…Keep me posted on yours.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a quick little update on the world's slowest square build. I have not had much time to spend in the garage in the past while, with house renos and newborns to tend to, but I did manage to get out the other night for a bit. I decided to have a look at the engine and see if it might be possible to actually get this thing running. I drained the oil and, man was it ever black, also, there was a ¼ inch layer of gray sludge all over the cover and filter. The good news is that I didn’t find any little metal chunks or sparkly bits, and there was no evidence of any corrosion. There were no copper washers on the 10mm nuts and the washer on the drain plug was well mashed up. This would be the first oil change that this car has seen since at least 1975 when it was parked, and judging by the state of the oil, it was probably well overdo for a change even then.

I took off one of the valve covers to have a peek and I must say, things look quite nice.

When I get a chance to get back to the garage again I’ll reinstall the cover and top her up again. I know there’s still a lot of sludge in the case, and perhaps I’ll use the old block heater to get things flowing and turn her over a few times before I change it again. I’ve read the pros and cons of doing a flush with diesel, seafom, or similar and I don’t think I’m going that route, wouldn’t want to stir up things that could result in any blockages.

The plan is to see if it’s possible to get this thing running before I eventually take it apart. For now, I’d like to reinstall the PB unit and the fuse block, check out the carb, replace some fuel lines put the battery in, and see where I am. On the plus side the muffler is really solid, and bit dented but I should be able straighten it out a bit and reuse it.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=289807

Last edited by bobnorman on Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:29 am; edited 2 times in total
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That doesn't look too bad, actually.

You'll probably want to do a couple of oil changes in the beginning just to make sure it's all out...then maybe SeaFoam?

I used Marvel Mystery oil in my last engine (half a quart) during oil changes and didn't add any for the final oil. Worked out pretty well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Evilgtiguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you know that you can get valve cover gaskets and the oil strainer gasket that comes with the copper washers from VW? Check your local dealer.

This build looks like it will be fun, I can't wait to start getting into my 66 Fasty. How did you get your birth certificate?
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ataraxia wrote:

You'll probably want to do a couple of oil changes in the beginning just to make sure it's all out...then maybe SeaFoam?

I used Marvel Mystery oil in my last engine (half a quart) during oil changes and didn't add any for the final oil. Worked out pretty well.

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased, for some reason I thought there'd be a lot of moisture in there, but no sign of that at all. I'll be doing a few oil changes to get this cleaned out for sure. For the next change, I think I'll start by using the block heater that was installed on the screen cover, that should get things flowing a little anyway.

Evilgtiguy wrote:
Did you know that you can get valve cover gaskets and the oil strainer gasket that comes with the copper washers from VW? Check your local dealer.

This build looks like it will be fun, I can't wait to start getting into my 66 Fasty. How did you get your birth certificate?

That's pretty cool, I had no idea that VW still stocked them. I bought a half dozen or so a little while ago from someone on here, so I'm set for now, but I'll be sure to check it out when I need them.

Your fasty looks like a great project, that uncracked dash is nice to have too. Funny that is a 66 stored since 77, dad used to have a 67 stored since 75..sold that one a couple years ago.

As for the birth certificate, here's the link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...highlight=

seems lately there's a bit of a wait, but I had no problems, other then they listed the interior as vinyl instead of cloth, but they corrected that and sent me a new one fairly quickly.

Evilgtiguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

quote="bobnorman"]
ataraxia wrote:

Yeah, I'm pretty pleased, for some reason I thought there'd be a lot of moisture in there, but no sign of that at all. I'll be doing a few oil changes to get this cleaned out for sure. For the next change, I think I'll start by using the block heater that was installed on the screen cover, that should get things flowing a little anyway.

Evilgtiguy wrote:

That's pretty cool, I had no idea that VW still stocked them. I bought a half dozen or so a little while ago from someone on here, so I'm set for now, but I'll be sure to check it out when I need them.

Your fasty looks like a great project, that uncracked dash is nice to have too. Funny that is a 66 stored since 77, dad used to have a 67 stored since 75..sold that one a couple years ago.

As for the birth certificate, here's the link:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3...highlight=

seems lately there's a bit of a wait, but I had no problems, other then they listed the interior as vinyl instead of cloth, but they corrected that and sent me a new one fairly quickly.[/quote]

I work in the parts department at a VW dealership so during my down time I go through the catalog and the network to see what's still available. Every once in a while I find something and buy a bunch (don't tell my wife).

A while before I bought my Fasty I looked at one in your neck of the woods the same colour as mine actually. Strange.
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that would likely have been mine- Rosie. Sold her to a guy here a couple of years ago.

Any tips on other AC VW parts that are still stocked by VW Canada would be welcome! I know the parts guy at VW here and he's on the look out for stuff, has helped me get some Vanagon stuff, but its hard to find.

Evilgtiguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right! Now I remember. I was emailing you about that car but I had an issue with shipping it over here.

What AC parts are you looking for?
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilgtiguy wrote:
That's right! Now I remember. I was emailing you about that car but I had an issue with shipping it over here.

What AC parts are you looking for?

Right, I do remember that. Glad to see you got one after. I'm not looking for anything in particular right now, just nice to know what old parts are available at my friendly local Dealership.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any updates on your '64 square?

two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mike,

The car has been on hold. I did try to turn it over last fall but no luck, so I decided to put it aside for a bit. My time has been pretty limited in the past while with lots of family responsibilities of late. I had a hard look at what projects I have and what goals I wanted to achieve and have decided to give what time I do have to starting the restoration of my dad’s Ghia, which has been going ok - slow but somewhat steady. I guess I should update that thread soon.

Though realizing that the Ghia is a long term project, if I get the chassis done by Christmas, then I may very well get back at the square this coming winter with an eye towards being able to drive it next summer. Having a running car would also make it easier to move things around in order to get back to the Ghia as well.

Mike Fisher
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get the engine out & rebuilt. You & Dad can rebuild it with mostly used parts. You could be driving this next spring & then go back to work on Dad's Ghia. Twisted Evil
two 57 oval ragtops sold
'68 Karmann Ghia sold

Society is like stew. If you don't keep it stirred up you end up with a lot of scum on the top! - Russ_Wolfe/Edward Abbey
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's sort of the plan. Dad's not around any more (though I'm sure he's around in spirit) so the Ghia is a bit of a tribute to him, and something to be passed down to my son. My goal was to take my kids to their first day of school in it, which is about 4 years away. But, I really need to be driving the square soon, so, yeah, I think I'll try to sort out the engine over the winter and maybe with luck, be running it by late spring.

bobnorman
Samba Newfoundlander

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Well, with all my free time pretty much committed to the Ghia, I’ve done very little with the Square, but am itching to get at it- so much so that it’s been hard to stay focused.

I didn’t meet my goal of having the Ghia chassis done by Christmas, so probably won’t be hauling the Square engine this winter. But you never know, I may have another look at it- would be great to get it running.

I did manage to pick away at a few things this past fall when the Ghia work was getting me down or frustrated. Did a little work on removing the re-spray, still assessing if I’ll be able to keep the original paint, but this part worked out pretty good.

Had a look at the interior; pretty dirty

But seems to clean up ok, mats are pretty good.

Door panel still has the paper liner inside, and cleaned up alright- looks to be salvageable, should be able to stretch the vinyl to reattach it.

Interesting that the car has black vinyl trim on the upper door, but grey arm rests below.

ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: My 1964 Birch Green Canadian Squareback Reply with quote

Hey Bob - good to see you got some quality time with the Squareback!

My early 64 S has grey Z arm rests as well:

Your car and mine are the only two I've seen with grey arm rests on a 64 (grey should have ended in 1963).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 3 of 15

Jump to: