Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

New Jersey License Plate
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: New Jersey License Plate Reply with quote

So, I finally got my bug on the road and registered it as an antique so it got an historic plate.

What strikes me as funny is that the Historic designation for the State of New Jersey is QQxxxx

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Wonder what the QQ stands for?

Questionable Quality? Rolling Eyes

Maybe so, just noticed that plate is a tad crooked!!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, in searching for an answer I came across the obituary of the man responsible for the QQ plates. An interesting story, and I'm beginning to think that the "QQ" actually represents a pair of eyes ogling the car.

Here's the obituary. An interesting read, as is the link to the Hemmings article:

IN MEMORY OF ROBERT TURNQUIST
The Metro Region is deeply saddened to announce the passing of Robert Turnquist. A cornerstone of the antique car hobby, Bob was dedicated to the restoration & preservation of our fine vehicles. As you read in our Fall 2008 issue of the Metropolitan Skyline, Bob was also pivotal in the establishment of QQ Historic license plates in the State of New Jersey. His efforts for the hobby will live on for many more years to come.

Our deepest sympathies to his lovely wife, Sunny, and the entire Turnquist family. Services were held on Tuesday, April 7, 2009.

Courtesy of Jim Donnelly at Hemmings Motor News

The hobby we all enjoy would have never sprouted and grown if a few smart people, including Bob Turnquist, hadn’t convinced others that really old cars weren’t simply junk. We take this moment to appreciate and salute Turnquist, one of the genuine trailblazers of collecting old cars, who died last Saturday (April 4, 2009) at age 82.

Turnquist was best known most recently as the proprietor and founder of Hibernia Auto Restorations in New Jersey, but he was much more. From that shop, he restored perhaps 120 historic Packards of premier concours quality (in addition to hundreds of other cars), and had long reigned as perhaps the world’s foremost authority on those automobiles. His book, The Packard Story, remains a definitive study. Moreover, he was one of the co-founders of the Classic Car Club of America in 1952, and helped to create today’s definition of the Full Classic car.

We at Hemmings have a personal connection with this wonderful, thoughtful man. In 2008, we asked Turnquist to share his knowledge by being the guest speaker at our New England Concours d’Elegance.

To view an archived video interview with Turnquist, click here.

http://www.hemmings.com/users/140338/video/20.html

Robert Eric Turnquist of Morris Twp, NJ died at Morristown Memorial Hospital on April 4, 2009 at the age of 82. Born in Brooklyn, NY, he has been a long-time resident of Morris Twp and is survived by his wife of 55 years, Sunny.

Robert was President and owner of Hibernia Auto Restorations, Inc., a restoration facility restoring steam, electric and gas vehicles. He was instrumental in founding the Classic Car Club of America in 1952 and served as its President for 6 years. Packard was his choice to collect, restore and show at various events such as Pebble Beach, Meadowbrook, etc. He is the foremost authority on Packard cars and wrote his book “The Packard Story” and published many articles in various publications. His hobbies included collecting model cars, Packard literature, automotive and western art and rare trees from all over the world.

Robert is a life member of the Antique Auto Club of America, the Classic Car Club of America and serves on the advisory Board of America's Packard Museum in Dayton, Ohio where he was given the Robert & Sonia Turnquist Packard Library. He and his wife were instrumental in funding the building of a replica Shell Station at the Gilmore Museum in Hickory Corners, Michigan and also donated the Robert & Sonia Turnquist Photo Gallery.

Robert participated in the writing of the N. J. Historic License Plate law for the DMV in 1963 which was unanimously passed by the Assembly. He received the prestigious Newkirk Award for community service from the Morris Museum of Arts Sciences in Morristown, N.J. where he served as a Trustee.

Graduate of Rutgers University in 1950 with a Bachelor of Science degree, Robert served with the 11th Air Force, 404th Bomb Squadron in the Aleutians from 1945 to 1946.

A Funeral Service was held on Tuesday, April 7, 2009. Interment was private.

http://www.hemmings.com/hcc/stories/2005/08/01/hmn_feature23.html

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine has a pretty sick 10sec camaro in jersey so with the historical plates he got creative and it reads "QQUICK"
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Fish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 08, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does your friend stutter?

.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>
.·´¯`·.¸. , . .·´¯`·..><((((º>

# 303 and #156

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CLASSIC CAR GUY
Transport and Title Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fish wrote:
Does your friend stutter?

Na Na Na No, Wa Wa what do you Ma Ma Ma Mean???? Cool
61' Type 1
62' Type 1
64' Type 1
66' Type 1
66' Vert'
67' Type 1

"every one wants to reinvent the wheel, but nobody knows how to make it round"

Vintage Volkswagen Sales and Service as well as Classics and Muslcecars all located here in Phoenix Arizona at www.rpmotorcars.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jmiddle204
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump…
NJ Samba folks,
I'll be relocating to NJ from Calif next week. My '62 is lowered. I've looked at the State's site regarding Historic plates and researched here about the process.
Can anyone share if they have been rejected for Historic plates based on their photo submission if their car had different rims (I have Empi 5 spoke) and/or lowered? I can imagine there are some creative ways to show the car with a "stock" appearance but don't want to use those options if not needed.
I doubt my bug would pass an inspection due to ground clearance if I went the standard registration route.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

James
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CLASSIC CAR GUY wrote:
A buddy of mine has a pretty sick 10sec camaro in jersey so with the historical plates he got creative and it reads "QQUICK"

Uzi has "JRZ LQQK" plates

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NJ "Historic Registration Guide" shows acceptable vehicles with non-stock wheels. It doesn't show any lowered vehicles so I don't know if that is a problem. If you can restore the stock ride height to take photos for the registration that might work.

http://www.state.nj.us/mvc/pdf/Vehicles/historic-samples.pdf

BTW, NJ now only checks for emissions and not for anything else. That being said, I'm sure you don't want to subject your bug to the inspection requirement anyway if you can get historic plates.

Wanted: Art Collins VW (Savannah, Georgia) items - license plate surrounds and other items. Also ivory "AM", "FM" and "SW" buttons for a US Blaupunkt Frankfurt.
EvileNV
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2014 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always jack it up and lower it onto some wood that you've painted black, it wouldn't look lowered and you could take a photo....

*remove wood blocks before driving! Laughing
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 09, 2014 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmiddle204 wrote:
Bump…
NJ Samba folks,
I'll be relocating to NJ from Calif next week. My '62 is lowered. I've looked at the State's site regarding Historic plates and researched here about the process.
Can anyone share if they have been rejected for Historic plates based on their photo submission if their car had different rims (I have Empi 5 spoke) and/or lowered? I can imagine there are some creative ways to show the car with a "stock" appearance but don't want to use those options if not needed.
I doubt my bug would pass an inspection due to ground clearance if I went the standard registration route.

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

James

Truth be told, except in unusual situations, they never look at your car.

Only select DMV's issue historic plates.
When you get here just title the classic car at any DMV, don't get plates yet.
NOTE: Go online for ID requirements, ID is VERY IMPORTANT!!!!

Bring in your out of State ownership papers and a pencil rubbing of the chassis number from under the back seat.
Now..... Go home with your title, go on line, print out the historic plate application, fill it out, enclose photos of your car and mail it in.
A week or so later...... Plates come in the mail!

If you are concerned about ride height, just place some jacks under the pan before you take the photos.

My experience has been that no cop cares about your historic car. In the more affluent burbs, They've got too many speed traps and cell phone users to harass!
In the questionable cities..... They've got real crime to deal with!

Once you have your historic plates, you never pay again. You must renew.... But no more fees.
Also no inspections...... Ever! Smile

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bucky
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Within the last year I put NJ historic plates on my lowered Beetle (pics are in the gallery) and everything went smoothly. The big thing the folks at the DMV want to see is that the car "appears" to be original. So even being lowered with custom wheels and the like you should be fine as long as it is subtle. A good way to hide it is to hold your camera up a bit higher when taking the side photos. My recommendation would be to physically go to the DMV with your photos and paperwork in hand rather than mailing them as there are several locations around the state that can provide the plates over the counter and it'll be easier to make your case if they have questions. Feel free to PM me if you need any more info, and welcome to NJ!

"Got a lot to carry? Get a box."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
eggman95
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I brought my pictures and went to the DMV in North Bergen, and they gave me my QQ plates right then and there.
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

get 'em in Trenton also

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
Jmiddle204
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions. Once we get settled in, I'll give this a shot.

Regards,

James
GLHTurbo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jmiddle204 wrote:

Regards,

James

San Diego to NJ? I wish I could do the opposite!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GLHTurbo wrote:
Jmiddle204 wrote:

Regards,

James

San Diego to NJ? I wish I could do the opposite!

Ha! Isn't the sign still up? Last one out of Jersey turn out the lights?

Navy maybe? No choice but to move? SD is a huge Naval town.

Dave

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
Jmiddle204
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hotel business. Working in NYC, going to live in Red Bank.

James
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: