Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Firing order 1234
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rlowery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:35 pm    Post subject: Firing order 1234 Reply with quote

What the heck is wrong? Rebuilt 1776. Wouldnt start with 1432 but when i switched the firing order to 1234 it runs well.
This is driving me nuts.
What did I do wrong put the engine together wrong??
Please help with suggestions
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your timing is just 180 out...no biggie.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Rlowery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how can i fix this??
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1234 won't work, only two cylinders would fire, but it probably isn't hooked up like you think.

The cylinder # is on the tins and the distributor turns clockwise viewed from above.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rlowery wrote:
how can i fix this??

Put pulley to TDC. Pull the driver side valve cover. The cylinder in the front of the car is #3. Rock the pulley back and forth on both sides of TDC. Are the rockers moving?? If no, rotate the pulley one more time to TDC. Repeat... Rock the pulley back and forth and watch the rockers move. Now...pop the dist cap and look at rotor position. Start firing order right there. 1432 in clockwise rotation.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Todd66
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you going clockwise or counterclockwise on the distributor?
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always wondered why we have a 1-4-3-2 firing order on our VWs. It would seem easier to say 4-3-2-1. Or rename them so that 4 is 1, 3 is 2, 2 is 3 and 1 is 4, and then say the order is 1-2-3-4. When I get my time machine finished I'm going to go back in time and suggest that to Mr Porsche.

Here's the correct firing order:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The numbers seem to be chosen ford style, forward drivers side #1, except the driver was on the right.
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I'll need to go back in time and give Ford a few words of advice too. Does aircooled.net sell any flux capacitors for Bugs? Laughing I guess I'm disrespectful. Sorry. Embarassed
modok
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah.
World would be simpler if they numbered all engines the same!
Howard 111
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Juan, I happen to have several flux capacitors for sale, $19.95. The sale ends a week ago. Very Happy
FreeBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On most european engines, there are conventions, starting numbering from the flywheel, or from the cam belt/chain, but the VW manages to defy all of the ones I know of.... Incidentally, in a jam, i prefer to adjust my valves turning the engine over backwards, to only have one valve cover off at a time. As for firing order, i think it was dr. Porsche's attempt at thwarting the american advance by confusing mechanics working on captured kubelwagens.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe the OP is using a points style distributor. In relation to the points, it looks like the distributor is rotating backwards. He might have everything correct but just be wrong in his thinking as to what direction the distributor rotates. Cool
Alpha_Maverick
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while you're going back in time, make sure and go smack Ben Franklin, and tell him that electrons are positive (he didn't call it electrons, but he's the one that started the naming convention we have today), so that electronics make more sense!
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clockwise my dear good friend, clockwise.

Franklin thought electricity flowed from positive to negative, and we are still taught that. But actually electrons flow from negative to positive. Hence we say they are negatively charged. I'll have to orient him too.

The rotor spins clockwise. 1-4-3-2. Or if you're me, 4-3-2-1 Blast Off!

Last edited by Juanito84 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Rlowery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Murzi thanks for your reply. This is really strange. I am going to take a few pictures. Could I have put the engine together wrong. I have a 69 crank balanced and a 100 engle cam. The break in went well and the engine idles well except for a small mild popping that i have not yet addressed. I dont know what it is just yet??
Rlowery
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

#1 piston is at TDC and the rotpr is pointing to the distributor notch at about 5 oclock. the rotation is clockwise and the next position on the rotor is to cylinder #2
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rlowery wrote:
#1 piston is at TDC and the rotpr is pointing to the distributor notch at about 5 oclock. the rotation is clockwise and the next position on the rotor is to cylinder #2

Let's see here. Is this what happens?

#1 piston at TDC, but no rocker arms moving on it if you move the crankshaft back and forth (#3 rocker arms are moving) rotor at 5 o'clock.

You turn the engine half a crankshaft turn so the rotor now points to 8 o'clock. #4 cylinder is TDC, no rocker movement (but #2 rockers move)

You turn it another the crankshaft half turn so that the rotor is at 11 o'clock. Now the #3 cylinder is at TDC, no rocker movement (but #1 rockers move).

Then you turn a half turn on the crankshaft again so the rotor is at 2 o'clock. Now the #2 cylinders is at TDC with no rocker movement, (rockers move on #4)

Is this what you are experiencing?
Juanito84
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
Maybe the OP is using a points style distributor. In relation to the points, it looks like the distributor is rotating backwards. He might have everything correct but just be wrong in his thinking as to what direction the distributor rotates. Cool

If what I described above is correct, then this seems to be your problem. (Don't worry. We've all done it before!)

5 o'clock is #1
8 o'clock is #4
11 o'clock is #3 and
2 o'clock is #2.

Is that the way you are counting them? Are you hooking up #1 to #1 cylinder, #2 to #2 cylinder, #3 to #3 and #4 to #4? That is the way they should be connected. It doesn't matter in what order you connect them as long as #1 connects to #1 and #2 to #2 and #3 to #3 and #4 to #4. They will fire 1-4-3-2-1-4-3-2-1-4-3-2-1-4-3-2-1-4-3-2 as the engine runs.
Dale M.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rlowery wrote:

Nope... Next position is #4...

If you go COUNTER CLOCKWISE (anti clockwise) then it is #2... But the world does not work that way...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dale

"Kellison Sand Piper Roadster" For Street & Show.
"Joe Pody Sandrover" Buggy with 2180 for Autocross (Sold)
============================================================
All suggestions and advice are purely my own opinion. You are free to ignore them if you wish ...

Last edited by Dale M. on Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:23 am; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Performance/Engines/Transmissions All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: