Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1973 Safare Camper Bus Interior Overhaul thread!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
samander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, those dimensions are for the wardrobe. Let me know if you need any others.

My dinette seats actually do have seatbealts, but wasn't comfortable with the initial design. When rebuilding, I significantly reinforced them.
ryyanking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What did you use to replace the ceiling side wood panels? And how did you install them? Did you just simply glue them directly to the fiberglass?

I recently acquired a Safare with now headliner or anything on the ceiling and am having a hard time figuring out how to start.
samander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey! The headliner is simply glued to the ceiling. Something to look for before installing is sagging near the vent opening causing water pooling on the roof. You may have to make some reinforcements using fibreglass or such. The side panels are 1/8" mahogany traced out and cut with a jigsaw. To make them fit you must pull off the window frame (screws that surround interior window) and use that window size as the outline. Once cut the panels fit over the window and are held by the frame. The screws that hold the frame were quite seized in mine so threw in new ones after. Hope it makes sense. Let me know if you have any other questions.
tjet Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your interior looks great. Can I trouble you with some measurements? (see markup below)

Also, what type wood did you use?

Thanks Cool

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
samander
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey tjet,

Thanks! Sorry about he delay. Here are the measurements:

1. 28 1/2"
2. 23 1/4"
3. 27"
4. 14"
5. 15"
6. 30 1/2"
7. 3 1/2"
8. 14 1/2"
9. 18"
10. 19 1/2"

For the upper panels I used mahogany, floor was some laminate and cabinet doors are pine.

Cheers!
Kim Baumans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Safare Camper Bus Interior Overhaul thread! Reply with quote

Hey guys, I was going through the Safare top threads, looking for pictures of the handle/lock of the sliding side windows in the roof.
My Safare is missing those eversince I have the bus. I would like to see how they look like so I can try to make them myself... Or if anyone has some laying around Wink

Can anyone here help ?

Cheers !
Dogsled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Safare Camper Bus Interior Overhaul thread! Reply with quote

An older post I know, but just recently saw this.
Well I am currently working on a Safare where the top sliders need handles. Only found some possible work-arounds, but no matching handles. One thought is to use the screen handle and bond it to the glass, the screen could be held shut pretty easily.
hollyacnelson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: 1973 Safare Camper Bus Interior Overhaul thread! Reply with quote

This is great!!!! I am wondering if anyone has dimensions or pictures of the back rest panel that is on a hinge with slide locks that folds down over the cushions?
Then pictures of the back bed that slides or flips over-i am missing that part. Does it have foam attached? Is it attached or resting on anything like side ledges making it a shelf? I need to recreate one... thanks so much!!!!

Also - did anyone have an under/exterior water water tank? Mine apparently did and i im trying to see what that looked like or how it worked...

Thanks so mich - great pictures and build - so helpful!

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: