Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70' Bus engine trouble
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
sineral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the advise everyone. Progress has been halted due to family coming into town for the week but I'll get back to it the first chance i get. Aloha
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OPPORTUNITY KNOCKS Laughing Laughing Get a set of coverall for every one and put them to work. Your bus will be fab - Very Happy the relatives won't bouther you again and peace and harmony will return to the valley. Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sineral
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found a broken valve and pushrod on the the #2 cylinder and after draining the oil I found what looks like very tiny metallic fragments on the back side of the plate - does that mean my engine is pretty much done? Is it best to rebuild or to buy a new engine? What kind of costs would I be looking at for either option?
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not necessarily - But you will be pulling all the tin and that cyl head the rest of the way to a complete break down would take about an hour.

It would all depend on end play compression, and temp when running last. And of course mileage- If over 60 thou I would rebuild.

Do it yourself as most places don't know any more that the rest of us how to do one of these motors. Or find a top rated VW vintage place and save your cash up/

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1967250s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be able to salvage most of it or all, but most likely with a T1 motor the metal has ruined the bearings without a filter. I'd highly recommend tearing it all the way down, replace bearings, and all the usual rework stuff. Inspect cylinders and pistons carefully. Have heads done by good shop. If it has a lot of miles, it is probably time anyway.
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An hour to tear it down??? Laughing And for an engine newbie add a day or two to that hour. Just to pull the engine he can plan on a day or two. He'll have to round up the jacks, stands and whatever else he needs first. And read or figure out what it's all about plus tagging wires, bagging bolts, etc. And naturally he will want to pressure wash it all and get it clean everywhere before he touches any wrenches.

After he's done it a few times, yea, an hour.

As far as tearing the engine down don't- until you get Wilson's book and study it. There is an order to things. And many people loose valuable info by tearing it down before giving it the good evaluation.

As far as your best course of action, new used, or whatever, Wilson's info will help you understand what's involved.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

jfats808
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok the short and sweet. Nick contacted me in while I was on like the last month of my tour in Afghanistan. I saw the pictures-yuck! After I came home and went to do an assessment on his old engine (H case single relief), with my trained eye I was able to pull it over .100ths. Yup his case is trashed. everything new or refurbished was required. His new engine specs are:
1776cc
14lb flywheel 8 dowel
Bugpack 4061 cam
1.1 HD solid shaft rockers
3 angle new 35x32 heads
8.5CR
Single Dell 40 rebuilt/dialed in by me.

He drove it over yesterday for us to align and set up the linkage w/ an installed return spring. After adjusting timing, valve lash and carb idle/mixture- we test drove it. I let him drive it some then I took over to get a feel for the jetting and tune ( he rides the clutch) Very Happy . Boy, never saw someone with such a shocked smiling face before! Total time assembly and break in about 2 weeks. Thats with ordering and waiting for the heads to arrive with proper CCs. He will need to get a new or better flowing exhaust. The Empi 4 into 1 sounds like its leaking. The rest is history.

http://s187.photobucket.com/user/jkanimal/media/20140529_132918_zps1bf81b02.mp4.html

Rockstar Suzuki wrote:

You might as well put 10 year build in your bullshit sig, as it will NEVER run. Also your a dick

You can always learn something new, even from a fool.
Check your oil levels routinely!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: