Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Disc Brake Bearings
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tswami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject: Disc Brake Bearings Reply with quote

I will go ahead and admit to not taking to the advice here the first go round but not because you all weren't right but because they presented themselves and I'm on a time and money crunch at the moment.

So in my search for front brakes I found a front disc kit with everything except the bearings. My bearings were old ball cage style and were toast. As in falling apart not even salvageable.

My question is I think I need a different size wheel bearing for the front to space out the rotors correct? I have a link pin front end that just had backing plates on it.

I think the kit is EMPI (i know they are cheap) because they came with Varga calipers but there arent any markings on rotors at all.

Does anyone know the size of the bearings or a place to get them that doesn't want an arm and a leg? Socal has a drum to disc bearing kit but after paying $40 you have to pay another $40 for SH and some BS minimum order fee. I could track down a bearing from a bearing site but I need to know if they need to be wider or something for the spacing.
Tswami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody?

Does someone at least know the size of the king pin bearings? I can tell the spindle size and the size for the rotor but dont know the width for spacing
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with those kits, but a bit overkill for the front of a rail.

Stock bearings should fit if the kit was made for link pin beams. I go to Autozone for bearings because they distribute Timken products. Timken makes good quality bearings. Just tell them you need front bearings and seals for a 64 or older bug. They will hook you up.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

All you need to supply for yourself is the inner bearing spacer, brake rotors, spindle nut, and dust covers. Do you have all of these parts on hand? If you don't have all those parts, let us know.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI, yeah, the old school ball bearings crap out pretty fast when run off road. The timken bearings as you saw are tapered rollers. They are the exact same size, but a lot stronger. Same with 99% of new replacement bearings. Good bearings cost money. Timken is a good mix of quality and price. Their quality is on par with FAG, but they sell for a lot less. I believe mine were about 20 bucks a bearing. If you want to gamble with cheeper bearings, NAPA sells some mystery Chinese bearings for like 10 bucks a pop....probably from the same factory as the cheap bearings found at most online VW parts stores.

Tswami
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to have front brakes to be legal in VA so just needed something up there to pass my inspection to get legal so they may come off.

Thats normally what I do when ordering bearings there are a couple of good bearing sites where I can get any size I want good FAG or other tapered bearings for pretty cheap. I was just worrying about the spacing on it.

I guess if I run into any spacing issues I could just shim the caliper to get the correct spacing.

I have most of the parts but now that you mention the inner bearing spacer I'm not sure if I have that. I need to check and make sure I guess. I think I have everything else.

Thanks
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inner spacer slips over the spindle before you slide your rotors on. The chamfered edge butts up to the filet where the spindle meets the machined face with the bolt holes for the backing plates/calipers. This spacer is what the grease seal rides on. It is the only spacer for the bearings. There is no way you would have been driving down the road without it, so if you had hubs of some sort on your front end, you already have the spacer. It should be very obvious.

You don't have to worry about the spacing between the bearings. You press the races all the way into the rotors until they seat up against the machined lips on the inside. It is pretty hard to screw up.

If your calipers don't quite line up with the rotors, then your only option will be to shim them. Don't even think about messing with shimming the bearings on the spindle.

baja5
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its not uncommon to have to shim the calipers to center them with most of the aftermarker disk brake kits.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: