Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Need Buggy Engine Rebuilding Advice
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
rmckay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Need Buggy Engine Rebuilding Advice Reply with quote

I need some engine advice for my buggy. It currently has a pretty much stock 1500 engine, which is getting very tired. I noticed at the end of last year that it was smoking from cylinders 1 and 2. When I took it out for the first ride of the season last week, it was worse, no doubt from sitting over the winter. Anyway, I've decided it needs at least a partial rebuild, so I'm going to replace the pistons and cylinders myself and have a valve job done locally.

So my question is, with this currently being a 1500, is there any reason not to upgrade it to a 1600 with a 85.5mm piston kit, or even a 1641 with a 87mm kit? Will the stock H30/31 PICT Solex be enough carb for either of these kits? I don't claim to be a mechanic, so I want to keep it pretty much stock to keep it easy. (I don't want dual carbs at this point)

Also, while it's apart, I'm going to replace the manifold since the previous owner cut off the heat riser tubes, which from what I have been reading here lately, is not a good thing.

I'm ready to order parts, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.
Rick

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy had a 1641 dual port with a 30/31 carb and after upping the main jet size, the full body sedan was really quick and ran well. A lot of the bus guys swear by a 1641 single port as a torque producing engine in a heavy bus.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
weasel_ugs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go 1641 and since your replacing the intake move up to a 34PICT carb.
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2014 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't spend any money on the top end unless you're sure that the bottom end is 100% OK, ie crank endfloat within factory spec. and good oil pressure. A worn crank/case won't last long under a new top end.

If all's OK then either 1600 or 1641 will be fine, very little difference in performance between them though so let your wallet be your guide, don't bother with 1641s if they cost a lot of $$$ more than 1600s.

Your current carb will run great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
didget69
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference in 85.5 to 87 P&C setup is negligible; I'd go with a 1600 setup & spend the bucks on a set of Forged 85.5 pistons & check block/bottom-end thoroughly before committing to the 1500 case. BTW: What case do you have?

bnc
rmckay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
…… before committing to the 1500 case. BTW: What case do you have?

Good question, didget69.
This is what is stamped on the case: "*D 044310X". I haven't been able to figure it out. There was something before the D, but it has been obliterated, and the "X" on the end is throwing me.

Rick

UPDATE: Since posting my reply, I've found out that this is most likely a VW recycled case. The obliterated mark, upon further examination with a magnifying glass, appears to have at one time been the VW recycling logo. I can just make out the bottom of it on my case.

I found this photo on the net, so my block started out like this, then the number with the X was added.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they are genuine." --Abraham Lincoln
manxdavid
Samba Member

Location: David Jones, Anglesey, North Wales, UK. Manxclub #678.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The VW / circle arrow logo on the left of that number denotes that it was a genuine VW exchange unit at one time.
drs1023
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 1600 with a 30/31 carb runs well in my kit car. I have a points 009 distributor. It's a good combination in a stock-ish lightweight car.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: