Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Today in Bay Window hunting History
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

flemcadiddlehopper wrote:
I don't normally post in the Bay section, but I found this when what I thought I was going to look at was a Split.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

It looks to me like a '68-'71 dormobile. I now have the residents name and number. Not too sure what shape it is really in, but I have been told it is neglected.

Anything you guys (and Gals) can tell me from what you see would be helpful.

Gordo.

Looks like a good bus to me. No need to be ashamed to post in the bay forums. That bus looks better than alot of the splits people are dragging in these days. age>condition/condition>age (even applies to a bay!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
I don't normally post in the Bay section, but I found this when what I thought I was going to look at was a Split.

It looks to me like a '68-'71 dormobile. I now have the residents name and number. Not too sure what shape it is really in, but I have been told it is neglected.

Gordo.

Looks like a good bus to me. No need to be ashamed to post in the bay forums. That bus looks better than alot of the splits people are dragging in these days. age>condition/condition>age (even applies to a bay!)

I may be having trouble coming to terms with my "Bayness". I am unaware of what is rare or worthy in the Bay world. Was A full Dormobile conversion more rare than a Tin roof Westy with a Dormobile top added? I would like to be as knowledgeable as possible before I talk to the owner about his inevitable relinquishment.

Gordo.

Retrograde Garage. Vintage Aircooled, and others.
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went ot drop off a block for LB and found this in the way

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

consvws wrote:

Gordo.

I may be having trouble coming to terms with my "Bayness". I am unaware of what is rare or worthy in the Bay world. Was A full Dormobile conversion more rare than a Tin roof Westy with a Dormobile top added? I would like to be as knowledgeable as possible before I talk to the owner about his inevitable relinquishment.

Gordo.

Well I contacted who my search lead me to believe was the owner of the property where this bus is, and though he was supportive of my search, because he is a VW person, he was no help and knew nothing about the bus as he lives a block away.
I guess I will need to go back there and start to knock on some doors. I will also reach out to the more local VW communities Forum site ( Airspeed vw ) and ask if anyone knows the owner. Tough to do without giving up the exact location and possibly the bus.

Gordo.

consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

consvws wrote:

Gordo.

Gordo.

Well I contacted who my search lead me to believe was the owner of the property where this bus is, and though he was supportive of my search, because he is a VW person, he was no help and knew nothing about the bus as he lives a block away.
I guess I will need to go back there and start to knock on some doors. I will also reach out to the more local VW communities Forum site ( Airspeed vw ) and ask if anyone knows the owner. Tough to do without giving up the exact location and possibly the bus.

Gordo.

go get it for cheap & ask questions later!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
flemcadiddlehopper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

consvws wrote:
consvws wrote:

Gordo.

Gordo.

Gordo.

go get it for cheap & ask questions later!

Well I went back armed with business cards, pis of my restoration project and a sun-shiny disposition. The power of positive thinking was on my side. There was an older (well older than me) lady playing with her dog in the yard. She sent the dog to play with me when I asked her if she owned the VW Bus. She gave a noticeable roll of her eyes and said it belonged to her son and that it had been sitting there for 16 years. I asked her if she knew what his plans were for the Bus? She went on to tell me that her Son live in Taiwan and that he does not call that often. So I let her know that I really did not want to see that Bus rot into the earth on her property and that when she talks to her son to let him know I will care for it the way it needs to be. I gave her my card so she could call me and I took her number to follow up later.
I then went to poke around at the bus, and take some pics.

Now these shots are a little tough to see through the window, but what I see is seats that do not need to be recovered.

And a very decent head liner and bunks, not to mention a great dormobile top.

There are a few down sides, but compared to what I have done to my '67 it is not too bad.

Now it is just a polite waiting game I guess?

Gordo.

Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picked up this running/driving 70 deluxe yesterday. Crazy rust free/dry bus that originally came out of Arizona and was brought to Canada in 99. Only driven one summer here and parked inside. It turned out to be a non walk through also which kind of surprised me.

70 911T
91 Westy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! that is a nice looking bus Smile Love the patina. Bet your first move is removing the rear bumper
rustbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
Picked up this running/driving 70 deluxe yesterday. Crazy rust free/dry bus that originally came out of Arizona and was brought to Canada in 99. Only driven one summer here and parked inside. It turned out to be a non walk through also which kind of surprised me.

]

Wow I didn't think anything like this existed up here. Good score! Nice to see there's still reason to day dream!
Bala
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:

I've always been partial to Westys, but seeing busses like this makes me think of other possibilities. Very nice.

1966 Beetle
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FinnCruise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2014 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picked this '69 up a couple of weeks ago for $550. one bad rust spot on the rocker panel on d/s other than that solid floors front and back. Found it right here in my home town out of the blue

panic_fan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:

Nice bus, I notice that tag holder on the front bumper, is that an OG type tag holder? My bus has holes in the same spot and I always wondered what was there. Looks like that would fit the holes perfect.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=291988&highlight=

"Still learnin the way around my VW bay"
Teal Bay Bus
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panic_fan wrote:
Trevor P wrote:

Nice bus, I notice that tag holder on the front bumper, is that an OG type tag holder? My bus has holes in the same spot and I always wondered what was there. Looks like that would fit the holes perfect.

It might be, I was actually wondering that myself. I'll have to check it for some kind of VW identification marking. We don't run front plates here so not sure if it will stay on the bumper.
70 911T
91 Westy
Jim Bear
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Toronto Reply with quote

Well, this is a Today in Bay Window Internet Hunting History post:

http://buffalo.craigslist.org/cto/4432661408.html

Very interesting bus.
'85 Vanagon Westy - George In the Stable 2020-?/'74 Weekender - Ophelia In the Stable 2007- ?/'69 Beetle Convertible - SOLD 2017-2020/'67 Beetle - September SOLD 2013-2016 Sad /'67 SO42 Westy - Sage SOLD 1996-2001 Sad Sad/'69 Transporter - Baby Blue SOLD 1995-1995/'72 Westy - Nelly - SOLD 1990-1995--STOP FRACKING
Yustrn
JHC Controla

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest find...1978 Westy from the original owner 156k original miles that I found less than two miles from my house. It has always been garaged and has been unused for the last 10yrs, but that will change in a couple weeks!

wdollie6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2014 2:11 pm    Post subject: 72 Westy Find, A Little Rough But Salvageable... Reply with quote

consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 7:18 pm    Post subject: 71 double slider panel Reply with quote

brought home this old panel bus today, had to empty a bunch of junk out of it, and there was tons of ants Shocked HUGE nests in all the wood paneling. The engine spit out a spark plug & that's why it was parked. The lady that owned it was pissed off at her husband for never fixing it Laughing . Has some rust & a piece of farm equipment rolled down there hill a while back and smashed the rear corner. But i think it should be back up and running pretty soon!

notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, double door panel. Nice score!

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
consvws
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

notchboy wrote:
Um, double door panel. Nice score!

Thanks, it was funny that peacock in the first pic would screech every time we made a loud noise or slam the doors on the bus Laughing
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peacocks are awesome. We had one in Texas that adopted us for awhile. Acted like a dog - wanted to come in the house all the time and slept on our roof.

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 44, 45, 46 ... 98, 99, 100  Next
Jump to:
Page 45 of 100

Jump to: