Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My first T3....69 Squareback
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuhq64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, have times changed. I look at that check list and i can think back of times where i could have done all those things and made it to a show the same weekend. Well the rear air ride may be a stretch...but its crazy how life changes over time. Oh well, it'll get there.
fuhq64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've made progress on a few things but not much. I've fabbed up some new wheel wells, installed the low back seats, remounted the fuel pump. I installed a spun aluminum gas tank temporarily to make the car mobile for an indoor show over this past weekend. It was the first time the car had ran in nearly 2 years so of course it ran like poop but it ran good enough to pull on & off the trailer and into position at the show. My main goals at the moment are to repair the botched wiring, do the alternator swap, and to track down the awful miss its developed. Im thinking it can use some new (or rebuilt) fuel injectors.

Here's a pic from the car show over the weekend

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll try and post more pics soon. I'll likely be on here more due to needing to figure out this whole wiring fiasco. It's been given the ol' toggle switch fuel pump & push button start treatment Rolling Eyes
collinVW32
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That thing is sick. I love square backs, hopefully I can build one of my own someday Very Happy

Also love the way she sits, great job!

The only peace sign I will ever have on my bus is one that is upside down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
fuhq64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: FI woes Reply with quote

I was excited to have the Squareback running under its own power for the show, even if it was running like crap. Well once i got the car back to the shop i discovered that it was running rich. When i got around to trying to adjust the fuel pressure then the darn thing wouldnt start. Turns out ive lost my injector signal. While this may possibly be a simple fix, I'm starting to consider switching to a dual carb setup Rolling Eyes Every time i turn around it seems that there's a part of the FI harness that needs some TLC, and though I'm no cheapskate i can't help but to be tempted by the dual carb setup instead of springing for the JSMskater harness. Just venting a little frustration, I'm ready to start enjoying the car & little things like this keep popping up along the way
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: FI woes Reply with quote

fuhq64 wrote:
Turns out ive lost my injector signal. While this may possibly be a simple fix, I'm starting to consider switching to a dual carb setup Rolling Eyes Every time i turn around it seems that there's a part of the FI harness that needs some TLC, and though I'm no cheapskate i can't help but to be tempted by the dual carb setup instead of springing for the JSMskater harness. Just venting a little frustration, I'm ready to start enjoying the car & little things like this keep popping up along the way

Yup, I understand how you feel. I lost a complete summer of driving my FI Notch around (Michigan summers are short enough too), due to something not wanting to work correctly in the FI system. Add in that I had already bought a new FI harness (from Jeff Bowlsby), and I still couldn't get rid of the problem. Once I put carbs on it, I had no problems, or issues. I mainly did it as a testing deal (to make sure it wasn't a mechanical issue), but I also got to drive the car for a couple of weeks. Cool I later on found my real problem, as I wasn't chrunched for time, and re-installed the FI. I later sold the car with the FI in place, and the next owner had issues with it too (he also did a carb conversion to it). While it's nice to say it still has the FI, I prefer to actually drive the car. Twisted Evil
If you do decide to go carbs, either go with Solex carbs, or go with the CB Performance kit. Either 1 will make you happy, and they're both within a mpg of each other when in use. They're also within 1 to 2 mpg of the FI system (when it's working right). Wink
Just so you know, I'm not against FI, as my wife's car has it. And I pieced that system together (it actually works better with the AT than the carbs did Shocked ).
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
fuhq64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its great being to tell folks, VW & non-VW that your FI is still in tact, but you have to be able to drive it somewhere first to do so lol. That's exactly it, i feel a little pressured & rushed, weather will break before you know it & there are still a few other things on the checklist. I'd rather carb up the car this summer, hoard more FI components all show season & reassess next winter. A good friend of mine is running the Weber set up on his '69, i drove it on a brisk night late September and ran pretty good.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuhq64 wrote:
Its great being to tell folks, VW & non-VW that your FI is still in tact, but you have to be able to drive it somewhere first to do so lol. That's exactly it, i feel a little pressured & rushed, weather will break before you know it & there are still a few other things on the checklist. I'd rather carb up the car this summer, hoard more FI components all show season & reassess next winter. A good friend of mine is running the Weber set up on his '69, i drove it on a brisk night late September and ran pretty good.

Like I said above, I completely understand. It's a case of having "lawn art", or a running driving car. Wink Which 1 do you want?

I put a set of Webers on my 71 SquareVert, as I got tired of pushing/dragging it around the yard due to an inop FI system. It's so much better to start the car and have it move under it's own power. Twisted Evil
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
fuhq64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: i haven't ordered carbs just yet. I noticed that the plug that leads from the ECU to the distributor base was pretty damaged so i performed a patch job on those wires....still no starting. It seems that i've lost injector pulse, so i'd like to find the problem in the fuel injection even if i do plan to pull it all off and run dual carbs instead
fuhq64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent most of my time sorting thru the wiring issues on the car. I discovered that the plug to the ECU had wiggled loose which caused the car to quit starting. Once i figured that out i replaced all the cracked and dry rotted lengths of wire in my FI wiring harness. It was quite the pain taking apart the plugs and soldering new patches of wire back in place but i suppose it beat shelling out the dough for a new FI harness or buying new carbs. So now she runs again! The car still needs timed and the fuel pressure needs adjusted but it now moves under its own power again. When i started today the car only had one working headlight & rear parking lights. Now both headlights work, all parking lights work, and it has brake light now, which it has never had since i've owned the car. A lot of the issues originated at the fuse block. I dont have turn signals due to the turn signal switch being broken. And apparently my horn is broken, because as soon as the brake lights started working the horn honked constantly lol. This is a big deal, because i wouldnt let myself move on to more fun things until i figured the wiring woes out. So the next step will be either starting the rear air ride or dropping the motor & cleaning it up, replacing various seal & inspecting the clutch.

A pic i took today..... http://instagram.com/p/lSjmj5NV8E/
fuhq64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone should buy me this.....

Please & thank you. Razz
Chino_UK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuhq64 wrote:
Someone should buy me this.....

Please & thank you. Razz

Been looking at those too...nice aren't they? My only concern is separating heat exchangers etc.
fuhq64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back on the quest to get this beast running right again...I've read around here before that if your battery is defective or on low on charge that it effects how the fuel injection operates. I was checking for injector pulse with a noid light at each injector plug. Two of the four plug were lighting up the noid...one on each side. I shut the car off for a bit and it failed to start back up again. I swapped that battery out for a fully charged one in its place & of course it started right away, and when I checked again for injector pulse I got a light at all four cylinders. But, still runs like poo. I dialed the fuel pressure in, she's running quite rich so I thought it would have been odd that two injectors would have been dead. All the ignition bits are new (plugs, wires, points, condenser), so I'm gonna double check the gap of everything. I want to time the thing but there's an obvious miss occuring
fuhq64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spent the better part of a day tinkering. Now I'm not getting injector pulse to any of the injector plugs. The distributor is getting signal from the ECU, the contacts on the dstributor seem to be working properly.The injectors are grounded. Perhaps the engine ground is weak? I've browsed through the FI thread but i suppose its time to read it like scripture
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuhq64 wrote:
Spent the better part of a day tinkering. Now I'm not getting injector pulse to any of the injector plugs. The distributor is getting signal from the ECU, the contacts on the dstributor seem to be working properly.The injectors are grounded. Perhaps the engine ground is weak? I've browsed through the FI thread but i suppose its time to read it like scripture

I bet a set of carbs are looking pretty good right about now. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
fuhq64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
fuhq64 wrote:

You have no idea...oh wait, you probably do lol. I thought I was looking at buying a new FI harness so the carbs woulda been the cheaper route. I have the harness in good shape now (or so I think) so the only real money left to spend would be on a set of fresh injectors. I've driven the thing on FI! With not a whole lot of work to get it running before. Why is it being so complicated now after I've put in all this effort to make it more reliable? Sheesh Rolling Eyes
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuhq64 wrote:
Bobnotch wrote:
fuhq64 wrote:

You have no idea...oh wait, you probably do lol. I thought I was looking at buying a new FI harness so the carbs woulda been the cheaper route. I have the harness in good shape now (or so I think) so the only real money left to spend would be on a set of fresh injectors. I've driven the thing on FI! With not a whole lot of work to get it running before. Why is it being so complicated now after I've put in all this effort to make it more reliable? Sheesh Rolling Eyes

I had the same issues with my old 71 Notch. I even bought a new FI harness, swapped in a couple of different ECUs, MPSs, temp sensors, and even injectors, trying to find the "right" combination of parts that would work together. It just seemed that it never really wanted to work right no matter what I did. At 1 point, I got fed up with it all, and installed a set of Weber ICTs, just to make sure the problem wasn't with the engine itself. Shocked It wasn't, as the engine ran great with the carbs. Very Happy Eventually though, I wanted to try the FI again, and did finally get it to work correctly. I sold the car a year later though with it still running on the FI. The next owner contacted me about 6 months later, and told me it started acting up again, and he installed a set of carbs back on it, so he could drive it. Shocked I think that car just didn't like FI. Wink

My 71 SquareVert was a similar deal, as I had it running on FI for about 2 years (I've owned it for almost 11 years now), then it started acting up, and then just quit running altogether. I'd drag it around the yard, and into the shop to work on every now and then, but never got very far with the FI system. I put the carbs on it, and it's been good to go ever since. I'm just going to leave them on it now. Wink
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
fuhq64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://instagram.com/p/m5e0umNV5z/

Well she runs. Let's see how long it lasts. Can't really put any miles on her until my belt cover comes in the mail.
fuhq64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i got a bit antsy on friday, and with some creativity, cardboard, and a little bit of duct tape i constructed a temporary belt cover for the fan shoud Laughing I was really wanting to take the car on the street and see how she ran under load. The car ran pretty darn good, this past friday was the first weekend for the local cruise in so i mustered up the courage to drive her across town. The only negative thing i noticed is that once the car has gotten warm and then cools off a bit then it needs a little pedal play to start back up. But, if it cools all the way down then it starts just fine Rolling Eyes Everything is great suspension wise except for one thing: bumpsteer. My last T1 had a beam narrowed the same amount and drove fine. This thing does not like bumps when its steering to the left. I know why, and i know how to fix it but i didnt anticipate it being that bad. I put about 30 miles on it this weekend. Its still a ways away from being a decent driver but its a running, driving car again. Here's a pic that my friend took at the cruise in with his GoPro camera

Brent
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dig the tire/wheel combo. Looks mean!
fuhq64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brent wrote:
I dig the tire/wheel combo. Looks mean!

Thanks Laughing I'm in the midst of performing an alternator swap at the moment. Brackets are made, I just need to test fit them one more time, paint them, fetch the mounting hardware & the right size belt. Also that whole wiring thing.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: