Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

EMPI drop spindle and disc kits
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:24 pm    Post subject: EMPI drop spindle and disc kits Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

I'm just putting my front suspension back together on my RHD 61 and was debating about drop spindles as I didn't want to mess with my beam.
Reading some other posts someone mentioned a drop spindle and disc brake kit which is pretty damned cheap but its EMPI, I'm likely to be running a 1600cc which makes me nervous about running drums and to drop it and have discs for $400 sounds to good to be true...saves me cutting my beam up and buying a 1200cc.

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C13-22-2925

Has anyone used one of these and whats the experience, I hear that EMPI isn't what it used to be and I've heard rumours of snapped of spindles and nightmares trying to fit cheap disc kits.
Oh yes, I'm going to be running stock steels on standard tires and will be only taking it easy in the car.....not racing it.
63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
eashc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just put on some spindles on my bug. Still on drums. Went pretty smooth. The problem I have is my lower ball joint rubs the rim. I'm running 205/50-15 tires and Porsche rims with adapters on them. Running stock with narrow tires you may be ok.
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huge amount of talk about EMPI disc brake kits: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/search.php?search..._chars=200

Most of the talk isn't that good...you get what you pay for...brakes aren't something you should skimp on.
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sputnick60
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the CB performance drum brake drop spindles with the matching CSP disks. If I tire of the dropped & narrow front end it is possible to revert to original spindles and perhaps to a stock front beam and keep the disks.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The quality is there. I've invested too much in paint and panel to skimp on stopping power. I advise against shortcuts with brakes, steering and suspension.

Nicholas
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since your car is RHD, the speedo cable must mount through the right side spindle, right? Are the aftermarket spindles drilled for the speedo cable on that side?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TheFop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NWGhiaGuy wrote:
Since your car is RHD, the speedo cable must mount through the right side spindle, right? Are the aftermarket spindles drilled for the speedo cable on that side?

The speedo cable actually goes through on the left hand side, I'd assume this was to standardise as many parts as possible, I'm not sure if this is the same on later models though, it does of course require a longer cable.

I read through a few more posts and the theme of spindle/disc conversion kits and the theme (excluding getting into the whole single piece, 2 piece, cast, bearings etc etc etc) was in short that ;

Cheapest: EMPI are OK but have some issues around quality and they seem to suffer from incorrect casting marks which confuses the hell out of some when they try and fit them.

Mid Price; CB's look a good and are better quality than EMPI, although often need some work to get them to fit well but give some piece of mind.

I think John summed it up quite well as usual noting that brakes aren't something to skimp on.

Looks like I'll be saving up a few more $'s and going for CB kit.....now I see how people drops thousands of $'s into their cars without realising how it all mounts up.
63 New Zealand Spec Beetle - Going Baja!
86 T25 Westfalia - Family Fun car
John Moxon Premium Member
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheFop wrote:

Looks like I'll be saving up a few more $'s and going for CB kit.....now I see how people drops thousands of $'s into their cars without realising how it all mounts up.

It sounds like a wise choice...it's easy to spend other people's money but there are quite a few Ghia owners here who have fitted them so the help list should be quite long if you do run into any problems. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: