Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Harbor Freight sandblaster review
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Body/Paint Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JayC wrote:
Great pictures and thank you Smile

How long did it take?

jay

The blasting took about 2.5 to 3 hours. But then I wasn't in any kind of speed race to get it done. I still had to get the sand off it, and roll it back into the shop, so I could epoxy prime it that night. I painted it the next day.
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
racoguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob is on to it, I also have a Harbor freight one but is one model bigger (75lbs I believe)
Can't believe how well it works, I'm at 8 bags of sand now and haven't replaced anything yet exept getting rid of the stupid safety handle on the hand piece which I replaced with a ball valve.

You don't know what you've been missing till you have one of these, blast away rust and paint with total ease..................but like Bob said.......makes a mess..................A BIG MESS Laughing
WendyArmbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My HF sandblaster worked well too, after the modifications listed above. Went through tips fast. I dried the air with a 5 gallon bucket of ice with a copper section of my air line coiled up in it and it solved my clogging issues during the hot humid summer months.

Brian Z
rustbucket64
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate mine with a passion. wasted to much time and money to get the thing to work right when i could have paid someone and let it be there problem Mad
ghiaguy682002
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 5hp compressor with a 20 gallon tank. Do any of you think this could handle the job?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Air-Cooled Head
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wish I'd read this thread long ago. I was so frustrated w/ my HF blaster, I abandoned it when I moved. Confused

Ghiaguy, you should be able to get it done w/ the compressor you have, but you may have to stop & wait for the compressor to catch up, every few minutes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jpjohns
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2015 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Air-Cooled Head wrote:
Wish I'd read this thread long ago. I was so frustrated w/ my HF blaster, I abandoned it when I moved. Confused

Ghiaguy, you should be able to get it done w/ the compressor you have, but you may have to stop & wait for the compressor to catch up, every few minutes.

There are some mod videos on Youtube that actually make the HF blaster a decent unit. I know it sucks having to modify a piece of equipment that you just bought but sometimes it helps.

I work in R&D developing HVAC equipment and we are owned by the Japanese and trust me, they do the same thing. Find a way to make the unit cheaper but still work. Now whether it works efficiently that's a different story. Confused

"Scrapyards are for quitters" - Beetlenut (a Samba member)
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2015 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple weeks ago I bought the 110# HF unit. With my 20% off coupon it was about $109. I used medium grit sand from Home Depot, filtered thru window screen. I have a 7hp compressor with 60 gallon tank. Works like a charm. I blasted 5 old rusty bug rims to clean bare metal in less than 3 hours. front/back and center.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
heimlich Premium Member
VWNOS.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What size compressor do I need with this?

Will these two together do the job?

https://www.harborfreight.com/110-lb-pressurized-abrasive-blaster-69724.html
https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/air-compre...67847.html

Bobnotch wrote:
JayC wrote:
Hi,

I have been contemplating getting this same setup to do the blasting on my pan (currently the body is off a 73 Thing). I have been working on it with flapper wheels and wire brushes, but it is very slow and doesn't get it as nice as parts I have blasted. I have a blast cabinet and love it for small parts. I have a couple of questions that I am hoping some knowledgeable people can guide me on.

How much of a mess does this make if you do it outside? I have a flat concrete pad in the back yard, hidden by a fence and surrounded by rocks. Am I going to totally annoy my neighbors (I like most of them)?

The final finish will be primer and the chassis black. Is this over kill? Not a show car, but I want it to look nice.

Appreciate the guidance.

jay

Does it make a mess? Yes. Here's some shots of the bottom of my 64 t-34's pan (top side was already done first the same way).

And here it's been epoxy primed, painted AND clear coated. Over kill? I don't think so.

I used 10 - 50 lb bags of fine "sandblasting" sand that I got from my local lumber yard, just on the bottom of the pan. HD and Lowe's sells the same stuff for around 3.50 per bag. Works damn good, and you don't burn thru as many tips as you do with the more course sand. Very Happy
Note; I didn't recycle any of it, as I'm working on a "land fill" project right there. Wink And yes, that's my front yard, where I'm doing the blasting. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Body/Paint All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: