Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

84 Westy - Burnt Fuse #7 - Radiator Fan R&R? - Necessary
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: 84 Westy - Burnt Fuse #7 - Radiator Fan R&R? - Necessary Reply with quote

Hi Guys. I have been building my rig all winter and I finally have it up and running. I am currently working out the kinks.

I swapped my 1.9 for an EJ22 and finally have all the codes cleared on my ECU and am now working on my fuses. I have fixed all issues that were blowing fuses except fuse #7. Correct me if I'm wrong but this is the radiator fan. It is the red 16 amp fuse.

My question is......Is the fan necessary. The van no longer has AC as the previous owner of the van removed it. When I look at the prices of a possible replacement of the fan motor, it makes me wonder if it is necessary for a now "non" AC van. I realize all new cars and most all older need a radiator fan. I ask because the for sale listings for radiator fans for our vans list them as AC radiator fans.

I have not started to troubleshoot the problem and check voltage. Just wondering if I should address at all. Will I overheat without it?
[/img]
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes fuse 7 is for your radiator fan. Mine comes on with the ac off if I am in traffiic on a hot day once the temp guage needle goes above the warning light. So I would say yes you need it. Though you are in Alaska so probably not to often. There is also a large resistor I believe behind the left headlight that may be defective. Or your fan motor maybe pulling to many amps. You ould possibly get the fan motor rebuilt.
AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I definitely will be traveling in warmer climates. We are headed south to the lower next month. Alaska to Georgia and back over about 6 weeks. Thanks for the info. I will definitely be digging into the Bently and start to troubleshoot this.

I will start with the fan motor I guess. Can I pull it to test it without pulling the radiator? The mount looks like it is all enclosed at first glance. If anyone has pulled theirs, pointers would be great. I assume I can put external power to it and see if it runs.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was recently putting the T3 shifter kit on (which I highly recommend) I looked up and could see the fan motor. If your remove the front spare tire, look up under there and see if you can access the fan motor. I think you can then test it without removing it. Good Luck.
Westified
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is your fuse layout:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AKWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thanks. I replaced my steel coolant lines this winter and removed my spare while I was under there working on connecting the lines. My inline heater valve is leaking under there also so I will be replacing that this week. While I am there I will test the fan in place. Thanks for the help guys.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: