Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Gus Wilson's Model Garage
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:32 am    Post subject: Gus Wilson's Model Garage Reply with quote

Starting back in the early 1920's, Popular Mechanics ran a monthly feature about cars, repairs, preventative maintenance, driving techniques and various other tips.

He predates me by decades but not my Father who was around back then.

I remember the articles from the later years and recently stumbled upon this link in the garage forum to the whole collection!

http://www.gus-stories.org/index1.htm

Reading through some of the older articles about tire repair, double clutching, etc, I almost heard the voice of my long deceased Dad!

Dad taught me to double clutch, the art of downshifting on a steep hill, fixing flat tires (though on bicycles) etc.
I wonder if, ...... My Dad being an avid subscriber to PM, did he read these same articles half a century and longer ago and passed this knowledge on to me?

I know that his Father, my Grand Father wasn't into mechanics at all! Darn new fangled horseless carriages! The only value he saw in Automobiles was making money! He started the first car loaning institution in Long Branch NJ ........ way back when!

Anyway..... Enjoy! Make a pot of coffee and be prepared to spend hours reveling in a piece of motoring history!
For those of you driving 50's and early 60’s era Bugs and Van's, much of this information is right up your alley still!

For those of you driving modern computer controlled state of the art transportation machines.... Appreciate the long difficult history that got you here!

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
6T5 square
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Dave. I finally get done reading Bob Hoovers Blog and now this! I'll never get away from this damn computer Wink

Quoting John Muir -- Open the rear boot. Get out the stool and sit down. Contemplate the air-cooled beauty before you. - How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive -- Step-By-Step Procedures for the Compleat Idiot
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff. I remember the Model Garage well. In fact, when I was in high school (fifty-some years ago), I worked part time in a one-man gas station/garage for a guy like Gus-------except his name was Ernie. Very Happy
wbrown45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love to read articles, and stories from the early 20th century. It was so much simpler in many ways, but there were also a lot of inconveniences we have virtually forgotten today. The "Good" old days were cool, but I'm glad to be living in today's world.
iowegian Premium Member
Samba Curmudgeon

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wbrown45 wrote:
I love to read articles, and stories from the early 20th century. It was so much simpler in many ways, but there were also a lot of inconveniences we have virtually forgotten today. The "Good" old days were cool, but I'm glad to be living in today's world.

Yup------and most of the tales from the Model Garage were actually not far-fetched. Lots of simple stuff broke frequently--------just like our antique VWs. Laughing
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: