Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Streat legal in michigan
Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaxBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Streat legal in michigan Reply with quote

Ok guys its coming to the time where i need to make my buggy street legal. what is the easiest way to do this? I know theres a way that involves going to the SOS and then a police station for them to check it. Is there any other way? my nabor was telling me the way he got his hotrod streat legal is by taking an old vin and insuring it as a highly modified car. is that legal? any other ways? any info will help!

Thanks!
Max
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2014 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out this link. On the bottom there are a couple links to pdf files. One of them contains the checklist for the equipment. I think it is easiest to title it as an assembled roadster. It used to be a pretty painless process. I am told that it has become a little more strict as of late. Hopefully it hasn't changed to much. Confused

http://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-1585_1587_1588-25476--,00.html

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=487021
MaxBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen that before. My nabor has an old hotrod and he titled it by getting a vin and title from an old car and titleing it as a "highley modified roadster" do you know how legal that is?
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT LEAGAL. Removing a vin from a car and using it on another car is a nono. Somehow, a lot of people get away with it. The DMV will give you a vin tag for your ride after it passes inspection. They usually rivet it to the frame at the lower drivers side corner of the windshield.

MaxBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you ever hurd of anyone getting in trouble for that?
BUGGUTZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where you are and who pulls you over. Where I live in northern Michigan if it looks safe they dont bother you. If you are in a heavily populated area the local pricks will get after you.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get into an accident and the insurance company finds out the vin was stolen off another car they typically refuse to pay for damages...aka, everything has to come out of your pocket. That and they will probably cancel the insurance on your ride. It isn't a good thing. Do it the right way. Get it passed inspections and get a proper vin from the DMV.

BUGGUTZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fun Govenor! Lol valid point.
Timwest007
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my buggy legal by buying the title and lower windshield frame for an assembled roadster thanks craigslist!! $300
MaxBrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok guys. i decided to just do it the right way. i am almost done but im stuck on a few things. like windsheild wipers and washers. also bumpers? The TR-54 form sais for passinger vehicals. ive got a 2 seater? do i need them?
BUGGUTZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you need only one wiper and it can be hand powered. I am pretty sure you can buy a single wiper and motor for a buggy. Squirter just go to a junk yard and get a bottle with a built in pump. Can even source the nozzles there too.
Vanapplebomb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hand operated wipers work well, as BUGGUTZ suggested.

JC whitney also sells elcheapo motorized single wipers, but the hand operated ones are probably more reliable. JC also sells cheep washer kits that work well. My buddy got one. Simple two wire installation. Self contained. I'm sure you can get the same system at dozens of online stores.

JabaDubRider
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOTS OF READING AHEAD BUT WORTH IT IF YOUR TRYING TO TITLE YOUR RAIL IN MICHIGAN!!

MaxBrown wrote:
have you ever hurd of anyone getting in trouble for that?

YES!!!!!!!!!!!

It is a Felony and can be prison time. DO NOT LISTEN to anybody that says you can title it as a a beetle or anything other than an assembled roadster.

I live in a well populated area and am part of a large group of riders. We have seen every angle and approach to trying to get through the road legal process.

Cops are becoming wise to the rules and will check for all your paperwork. Please do everything correctly. If you don't do this it just makes the cops think we are all breaking the rules. People don't generally go to prison for this offense and the felony gets dropped to a misdemeanor if you play the "I didn't know" Card But It is better for us all if you do it correctly. By the End of this process you will be able to educate any officer that pulls you over and tries to question the legality of your ride.

Now you have the TR-54 Form from the Secretary of State or (DMV) for you non michigan readers... HAHA>>> So I am not going to List everything that you need, But in reference to the wipers. They can be a single hand powered wiper. The squirters are a debated thing and it mostely depends on the officer you get and how good there sense of humor is. I have seen people put a squirt bottle in there car and squirt the windshield when they ask about the squirter and others (like Myself) have had to go full bore and get the tank pump and squirter and install.

Other Tips for passing inspection.

***Safety Glass, What they mean is Double laminated windshield glass. Nothing less and absolutely nothing more. You will not win the well Lexan is stronger argument. You Won't!

Your headlights. It says on the form High and low Beam. And you may think you can run one lamp for Low and Another for high. What they really should put on the form is Dual filament headlamps. Otherwise it will not pass your inspection.

Horn.. Get one! simple

*** Parking brake. A lot of people take this to mean Emergency brakes and freak out because they don't have that. But Read it again. IT says Parking Break. This CAN be hydraulic so it is as simple as installing a ball valve in line with your breaks. Alls you have to do is push breaks, then turn valve and let go of breaks. Instant Parking break. To release reverse process. They do make Valves that are a bit more convenient for this operation but that 60 cent part is more convenient than 30 bucks.

Safety Belts*** This one sucks cause if you get that ASShole cop that does your inspection and you have 5 or four pint racing harness and he says Those aren't DOT Approved well he is right but he is also a prick because that lap belt that came in the beetle is DOT approved and a piece of shit. This is the time that you load up your ride and go to a friends house in a different precinct area and call and try the inspection again. This really doesn't happen often because COPS do have brains and common sense and can tell that the five point harness in hella safe and better than a DOT lap belt.

Bumpers*** They will measure this, but they never have a tape measure. HAHA so tell them you don't have one handy and they will make there best guess. If it looks good they will let it go.

Your tires are a huge deal to them and they will get out the magnifying glass to look for those magical letters DOT. Do not put tires on there that don't have it because you will fail your inspection.

Last thing is the exhaust.
This completely varies from cop to cop. IF you get a cop that is into cars he probably won't care about the wide open stinger. But if you get someone that is Captain America and pisses on cars with the Loud pipes save lives sticker. HE will not pass you unless you have a resonator or muffler. Safe bet is get a cheap ass muffler from the auto parts and clamp that turd onto your exhaust if you have too. It will pass.

Some other notes. When you get pass this process you will go to the secretary of state. They will ask you for Tons of shit paperwork. These people suck and will make you try to prove everything about your vehicle.

The best way I have found to get around there hoopla is to Have a buddy write up a Bill of sale for a Complete running NON Titled Sand Rail For a certain purchase price. Make it low Because they will TAX you on this purchase price. But not to low to raise some Questions. I have found 500 bucks to be a good number. Then us Michigan folks are fortunate that you have already probably purchased quite a few parts from Appletreeauto They are cool and if you log into your account your can go to order history and print up all your old sales receipts. This is important because apple tree is in Michigan and you most likely paid Sales tax on these parts already. This is important because the SOS/DMV can't charge you tax on these parts again.

The reason why that is important is because from your Bill of sale it says that it is not TITled basically saying it is not street legal. So they are going to ask you what you did to make it Street legal. You will be able to hand them the stack of your receipts and say I bought and installed these parts. And make sure you show them that you have already paid your sales tax.

Then BAM so far the only tax you have to pay for is the 500 sale price. After this you have to pay a few fees for paperwork generation and other crap. but you will get out relatively cheap.

After this point the last thing you have to do is to keep your buggy in the state in which it was inspected. Like the muffler clamped to your exhaust and what not because it is subject to a secondary inspection when the SOS comes out to place the VIN Tag on your Rail. Now they no longer do Pop rivet plate or Stamp numbers into your frame they Have a aluminum tamperproof sticker that gets applied. Once you have this you can get insurance then go back to SOS and get your plate and then CRUISE.

Hope this Helps. Please do the right thing and get it legal. You will have lots of carefree driving after that. I ride with a couple guys that haven't gone the right route and ride with white knuckles cause they are afraid of getting pulled over. Don't do that to yourself. DO it right.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=536093
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
BUGGUTZ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a side note. If you live in a big city area, drive to a Secretary of State in a rural area. People will be nicer and more down to earth and easier to talk to. They dont spend their day dealing with citiots. Worth the drive.
dowha
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X2 with BUGGUTZ about small town Secretary of State..

We go to Houlton Lake for everything... Walk In and Right Up To The Counter To A Smile.. Smile No BS..
Art.b
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2014 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timwest007 wrote:
I got my buggy legal by buying the title and lower windshield frame for an assembled roadster thanks craigslist!! $300

yeah I' d brag about that on the internet!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> HBB Off-Road All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: