Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

65 Bug dual circut master cylinder Reservoir mounting
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And yet another option here-
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C31-809-021-111
Allows mounting using stock fender bolts location...

For what its worth, mounting a 67' reservoir to a 66' and earlier needs the hole egged out to fit the dual tubes going down, and the strap extended a bit that straps around the res.
Russ
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

az67calbug wrote:
I know you said you didn't want the snap in one. When I put the Volvo one on my 67 beetle.. it actually snapped in place. I don't think there will be any issues. Many people have done this. It's also a sealed unit and you don't have to worry about anything getting in there. How often does it rain where you're at anyway?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I think you should do the stock location like mentioned above though if you are worried about it.

does anybody have the part number for the volvo master cylinder, i could use one but the used ones are getting harder to find thanks russ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is my setup on a 66 beetle. I'm using a 67 dual reservoir in the stock location. I had to open up the rear to accommodate the dual outlets
and I replace the stock hold down strap with a strip of 3/8" stainless steel
I used this part here. It's easy to get to, to fill.
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113611301H

dvancleve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 12:36 pm    Post subject: Sorry for the thread resurrection... Reply with quote

What is this part and does anybody still sell it? For me, checking/filling the reservoir directly on top of the MC is my least favorite option. I am pretty sure I would prefer the stock bottle filling one of these, but if it can't easily be done any more than probably the CSP bracket with a late model reservoir. BTW, I have been unable to find a picture of the CSP bracket mounted. Anybody have one?

Thanks, Doug

Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a Bay Window bus reservoir. I got mine from Airkewld. I can post what years it's from when I get home(my notes are on my desk). You will need a couple of brass fittings and some hose that is compatible with brake fluid to make it work.
Shane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dvancleve
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buck Naked wrote:
That is a Bay Window bus reservoir. I got mine from Airkewld. I can post what years it's from when I get home(my notes are on my desk). You will need a couple of brass fittings and some hose that is compatible with brake fluid to make it work.
Shane

Thanks Shane Smile

I will plan on that then if the parts are still available. Airkewld is semi-local for me but I couldn't tell if they still sell those...
Regards, Doug
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reservoir from a `73-`79 Bus i used is part # 211-611-313 its available here:
http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC%2D211%2D611%2D313%2DJ
or
http://www.airheadparts.com/vintage-vw-parts/brake...11313-j-oe
The picture of the one from Cip1 looks exactly like what I have. I looked on Airkewld.com and it appears that they no longer offer this piece. You will also need The brass fitting that oldgit referenced:
1: 9776T11 - 3/8 i.d.EPDM Hose or 9776T9 - Weather-Resistant Black EPDM Rubber Tubing
2: 91355K32 - Brass Barbed Hose Fitting Reducing Coupling for 3/8" X 1/4" Hose ID (They come in packs of 5)
I got the large diameter hose from my local Napa Autoparts store.I took the brass fitting and drilled out the small end a little bigger to fit the stock metal line inside the small end. Scuffed the paint off the stock metal line and fed in to the brass with the factory flare inside the big end of the brass; then had a local radiator shop solder it together.This is what i used: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113611805B I am using the stock reservoir under the hood: http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113611301G and http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113611801A to connect it together. Now I can use the metal line to have permenant bends around the the pan head and steering components with the rubber hose acting as flex joints. No pics to post of it yet.
Hope this helps anybody else trying to figure it all out.
Shane
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mkriglet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so I have a German master cylinder, and a Volvo type resevoir. They of course dont fit together. What year rabbits had the resevoir I need? And where could I find one?
oldgit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgit wrote:
rat70fj wrote:
Has anyone come up with a clean method of running a hose from the stock small nippled reservoir to the big nippled Airkeld reservoir?

I ended up going with a 1/4 to 3/8 brass fitting. It worked pretty good as the hose to the remote reservoir works out to be close to 3/8's. The 1/8 to 1/4 brass adapter will work also but you will have to stretch the hose a lot to get it on the reservoir. I used 3/8 I.D. EPDM hose that I also got from McMaster-Carr. They only sell the adapters in packs of 5 and go for around 10 dollars but if you throw me a few bucks and pay for shipping I will send you one of each adapter.
Here is what the top of mine looks like
[/img]

Ok so one year in and I found rub marks on the hose from the steering component. I got to thinking about another way to to the same thing but that bus reservoir makes it hard with its fill location so I came up with this.
I am going to use this reservoir:
http://vwparts.aircooled.net/Snap-In-Dual-Circuit-Master-Cylinder-Reservoir-p/251-611-301v.htm

And this cap from Motive Products from one of their pressure bleeders back to the stock reservoir.

Last edited by oldgit on Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you think the rubbing is because the hose is too large a diameter? If I were to use the stock metal line thru that area it would fit better? I'm finally got all the parts sitting on the shelf in the garage and will working on this project in the next couple of weeks.
Shane
oldgit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes it seems the hose is too large in diameter. If there is room to use the steel line in that area it would be better. I dont have much time for trial and error right now as I am moving o China for a year for work.
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the insight. I hope the move and the job go smoothly.
Shane
AZ66Bug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldgit wrote:
rat70fj wrote:
Has anyone come up with a clean method of running a hose from the stock small nippled reservoir to the big nippled Airkeld reservoir?

I ended up going with a 1/4 to 3/8 brass fitting. It worked pretty good as the hose to the remote reservoir works out to be close to 3/8's. The 1/8 to 1/4 brass adapter will work also but you will have to stretch the hose a lot to get it on the reservoir. I used 3/8 I.D. EPDM hose that I also got from McMaster-Carr. They only sell the adapters in packs of 5 and go for around 10 dollars but if you throw me a few bucks and pay for shipping I will send you one of each adapter.
Here is what the top of mine looks like
[/img]

This is a great solution! I have the German Dual Circuit MC for 67-77 bug. Do you know if that bus reservoir you have attached to your MC will plug into my unit? How large are the input tubes on the bottom of that bus reservoir?

Thanks
Buck Naked
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nipples on the bottom of mine measure 8mm diameter
Shane
Split 1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2014 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which model is the Volvo one from?
Anyone have a part number?
Thanks
Oljefläck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take it from Volvo 240 same up to 1984 . Partnumer for it 1206007-5.
http://www.garaget.org/?car=234141
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: