Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Ignition switch/Brake warning light, Bentley error/omission?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Ignition switch/Brake warning light, Bentley error/omission? Reply with quote

I have a 1981 Canadian Kombi that I am converting to a camper.

I am adding in the camper wiring harness from a 1980 Westfalia and adding the fridge relay to the circuit.

In the process of deciding where where to add the Red/Black wire between Terminal 50 on the ignition switch and Terminal 85 on the relay I ran into some weirdness.

Terminal 50 on my ignition switch has a 20awg Red/Blk wire connected along with the expected 8awg Red/Blk. This wire goes directly to Terminal 1 on the T8 connector for the brake warning light. I can't find this extra wire anywhere in the Bentley.

Here is what I'm looking at:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Only the 8 and 4 terminals match the Bentley and the Red/Black wire on Terminal 1 does not appear anywhere.

The Blue/Black wire on Terminal 4 (and Terminal 1 for '81 only) should normally connect to the Oil Pressure light at the T4C connector.

I can't comprehend why I have a wire in that position that connects to Terminal 50 on the ignition switch. Can anyone explain this to me?

Sorry about the long-winded post, hard to explain these problems quickly.

The "shorter" answers I'm looking for are: Is this Red/Black wire a good candidate to connect to Terminal 85 on the fridge relay? Is 20awg the right choice of gauge for this job?

Thanks

Last edited by a2d2 on Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch/Brake warning light, Bentley error/omiss Reply with quote

The Dometic in the early model year Vanagon had the fridge relay on the fridge itself.
Check P 97.32b It shows the fridge relay. aka "HTR RES RLY". The blue alternator D+ wire controls the switch inside fridge relay.

There's a note re: '81 brake warning light in P. 97.16 diagram. Seems to me there's the same amount of wires in each case but different pinout. Ok....

P 97.27 shows a #18 R/BK wire from ign. switch 50 to brake warning light module. (semi conductor)

Hope that sheds some light.

Neil.

a2d2 wrote:
I have a 1981 Canadian Kombi that I am converting to a camper.

I am adding in the camper wiring harness from a 1980 Westfalia and adding the fridge relay to the circuit (80/81 did not have it).

In the process of deciding where where to add the Red/Black wire between Terminal 50 on the ignition switch and Terminal 85 on the relay I ran into some weirdness.

Terminal 50 on my ignition switch has a 20awg Red/Blk wire connected along with the expected 8awg Red/Blk. This wire goes directly to Terminal 1 on the T8 connector for the brake warning light. I can't find this extra wire anywhere in the Bentley.

Here is what I'm looking at:

Only the 8 and 4 terminals match the Bentley and the Red/Black wire on Terminal 1 does not appear anywhere.

The Blue/Black wire on Terminal 4 (and Terminal 1 for '81 only) should normally connect to the Oil Pressure light at the T4C connector.

I can't comprehend why I have a wire in that position that connects to Terminal 30 on the ignition switch. Can anyone explain this to me?

The "shorter" answers I'm looking for are: Is this Red/Black wire a good candidate to connect to Terminal 85 on the fridge relay? Is 20awg the right choice of gauge for this job?

Thanks

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
a2d2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition switch/Brake warning light, Bentley error/omiss Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
The Dometic in the early model year Vanagon had the fridge relay on the fridge itself.

I have actually jammed a 182b from a '91 into a P22 kitchen instead of the stock icebox so no relay anywhere for me. Shocked

BTW - have been making good use of the kitchen cabinet and many parts are finding a new home in my "Frankenfalia". Thanks! Very Happy

Vanagon Nut wrote:
P 97.27 shows a #18 R/BK wire from ign. switch 50 to brake warning light module. (semi conductor)

I saw that, at least that tells me there is some precedent for what I'm seeing - even if I don't understand it.

Think it's safe to connect the fridge relay here? 20awg?
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're totally welcome for the parts.

I'd use the same gauge wire as shown for fridge relay as shown in the later MY diagram. ( 0.5 ) That said, looking online, it appears this is equal to #20 AWG as shown for the earlier model fridges.

Was suggesting that "yes" there is a fridge relay in the earlier model year Westy. Wink

If you're installing a generic 4 pin relay, it may have a suppressing diode or resistor (not needed in this case AFAIK). If so, I'd connect D+ wire to 86. As per the '81 camper diagram, I'd connect 85 to vehicle frame. Be sure to fuse the new circuits.

The stock "fridge relay", as installed in battery box under driver seat in later model years, has been referred to as the "silver" fridge relay. IIRC, the 50 connection from (edit: this) relay to starter disarms relay when cranking engine. crazyvwvanman has posted of this relay. I guess the thinking is that since the Dometic draws something like 5-7 Amps in DC mode, why have it sucking juice when cranking the starter (?). The early models don't appear to connect the fridge relay to the starter so it may not be a big deal (?)

I'm not intimate with the details, but it seems to me that the difference in ign. switch 50 wiring has to do with the seatbelt interlock as shown on P 97.27 I bet there's info here on that.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: