Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Carpet on the inside! Really....how bad is it!
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Urchinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Carpet on the inside! Really....how bad is it! Reply with quote

Hell, I'm never going to drive my VW through inclement weather. I think I only drove it in the rain once in 20 years! Why not use carpet? Is there any reason you guys can think of to not buy a kit and carpet the inside? And, if you think carpet sucks, what other ideas have ya'll got? I'm open to all thoughts and suggestions and critiques and insults!
Rev. Scott
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swiss cheese mats and duckboards!
GI Joe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rev. Scott wrote:
Swiss cheese mats and duckboards!

These, on top of bedliner works for me!!

You may not "plan" to drive in the rain, but stuff happens... Quick rain Burst's occur, someone spills a beverage and you've got wet carpet... Wet carpet, against sheet metal = corrosion...
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8080337#8080337
www.NLEOMF.com
Respect, Honor, Remember

Last edited by GI Joe on Mon Apr 14, 2014 1:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deckard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PO (Previous Owner) of mine glued black astroturf all over the inside. It made the car interior go from rugged utilitarian to hideously tacky disaster.

It was also a bear to remove, since time and exposure had caused the backing to disintegrate, leaving behind a mess which could only be removed with an industrial solvent
74 Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't do it! I prefer the stock look of the rubber mats with holes plus they serve the purpose of letting water evaporate.

If you must use something I think the Thing Shop has coco mats then you can just remove them when necessary.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Thing had padding and carpet installed when I bought it. PO had glued it down and screwed metal trim around the perimeter. Mad It was the first thing to go. I made up some rubber mats and covered them with coco mats from the Thing Shop. The Coco mats are starting to show wear (especially the driver's). I'd rather have the duckboards.
mondshine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if you glued the carpet to something like Ditra tile underlayment ...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

and laid it in waffle side down, you could have some removable carpet mats that could allow moisture to evaporate.

Personally. I have been using sisal mats in my 181 for 30+ years.

Good luck, Mondshine
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rrankin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might not count since I drive my thing daily and it's raining here today... but the ability to hose out and then dry the inside of my Thing on occasion makes a huge difference to me... add in to that the ability to dry out the car after I've washed it.

I have carpet mats for when it's cold out I have duck boards I keep over them in the winter and in the summer the carpeted mats go in the garage and the duckboards stay.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cecil
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with the Rev. and Joe. Instead of duck boards I'm using diamond plate aluminum where the feet go. I think it looks pretty good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the carpet kit from German Motor Works. It's not "wall-to-wall" carpeting, but it really helps make the ride quieter. The carpet on the floor just covers the rubber mats. I leave the rubber mats underneath for ventilation. If it rains I just pull the carpet mats up and put them in the luggage compartment where I've just removed the side curtains. The package shelf carpeting has thick padding to reduce noise in the passenger compartment. Before I bought the kit I was skeptical that the pieces inside the doors were of any value, but I'm a believer now. They also help quieten the ride.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
apba12m
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dito on every thing captain says I also have the carpet kit from german motor works and it is great. my thing is very water tight and have not had trouble with water or moisture.
Urchinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...had a look at that carpet kit. Nice. So, you just glued in on? For some reason, I am hesitant to do that!!!!
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pieces on the floor just sit there. The package shelf and doors attach with velcro tape. No glue required. Easily reversible.
Urchinn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Velcro? Don't you have to glue...or "apply"...some Velcro somehow?
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Urchinn wrote:
Velcro? Don't you have to glue...or "apply"...some Velcro somehow?

Nope. Self-adhesive Velcro tape.
surfarii
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain Spalding wrote:
The pieces on the floor just sit there. The package shelf and doors attach with velcro tape. No glue required. Easily reversible.

Captain, your VW is one of my favorites. So clean!

I use a similar kit that utilizes stick on velcro as well.
The PO had it installed so I don't know where it came from. It appears to be a professional kit and has the door panel pieces too.

I took out the floor mats and use the Swiss cheese rubber mats with Coco mats on top. Both from the thing shop.

I couldn't imagine hosing mine out. shoot i'm bumed if I get caught in a sprinkle and race home to dry it off in the garage.
Captain Spalding
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

surfarii wrote:
I took out the floor mats and use the Swiss cheese rubber mats with Coco mats on top. Both from the thing shop.

I couldn't imagine hosing mine out. shoot i'm bumed if I get caught in a sprinkle and race home to dry it off in the garage.

Thanks for the kind words. The Thing that inspired mine belonged to GermanSupplyScott. Sadly, IIRC, his car was lost in a fire.

Coco mats are great, and very "period". (When I put it that way, it makes me feel OLD.)

While I stop short of hosing my car out, I will wash the pan with a sponge and a liberal amount of water. I stay away from the battery, and I dry the pan after it has been washed. I don't go out of my way to avoid rain, but I do live in so Cal after all. If I lived in a wetter climate, or worse, one where road salt is used, I'd be putting my car into hibernation for sure. I'd think in your case you'd be fighting a constant battle against salt air…
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: