Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hesitation/loss of power after head gasket repair
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cgap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:56 pm    Post subject: Hesitation/loss of power after head gasket repair Reply with quote

I've attempted a search on this but I'm not quite sure what to search for exactly.

I just finished doing the head gaskets (and consequently installing new heads). It runs great until it's up to temp, but then I'm getting hesitation/loss of power around 3k rpm. Flooring it close to redline clears the issue for a brief moment, but then it comes back. It was also exhibiting hanging idle when rev'd in neutral and not moving, but this would go away once I drove it for a minute. The idle would then return to normal.

None of these issues were present before the head gasket job, so what have I upset/forgotten in the process?
Cgap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can also add occasionally trying to stall when coming to a stop to the list of symptoms. Thanks in advance for any help.
61Scout
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a break... go read a book, watch a movie, eat a meal... do something to get your mind off of this. I'm serious. Now, once that's done start going through things methodically. Check the fuel system. Is the AFM working correctly? Are you getting the correct pressure at the test fitting? Is the filter clogged? Any leak at the fuel pressure regulator? Then go on to check the vacuum system, make sure all lines are sound and connected properly, the s-boot has no cracks, clamps are tight and secure. How's the ignition system? Is the timing good? Then I'd check all the grounds. After that I'd go through the cooling system making sure it's burped of air and sensors are working properly. If you're worried about the cylinders you could do a compression and leak down test. But from what you're describing my gut tells me to check the fuel system first. Need more information, time to diagnose.

Kevin
Remove the front spindle nut with ease: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679567&highlight=
Remove the rear wheel bearing housing without messing with the big 46mm nut: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=679507&highlight=

-Nec Spe, Nec Metu
Cgap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fixed it, just wanted to update for future searchers...

And the problem was....... a broken ground wire. The challenge was that it broke inside the harness cover so I couldn't find the missing wire. It was the ground for the distributor that connects to the left head. Must have caught on something while I was working. Anyway, thanks for the help and suggestions.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: