Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trickle charger install?
Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beeble1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Trickle charger install? Reply with quote

A after trying to start my bug for the first time this year, the battery was dead. This isn't the first time this happened, it happened to me last year also.

So, I've seen those trickle chargers for cigarette lighters, but since the PO removed mine, can I wire a little connector to the fuse box to do the job? Or could I route the trickle charger through the diagnostic plug?

Dealership items from Bishop-Wayne Volkswagen & Turner Volkswagen in Kankakee, IL wanted
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jderianSF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trickle charger install? Reply with quote

Most of the modern trickle chargers, (now called smart chargers, because they moniter the battery charge, and only charge when needed) come with connectors that can be attached directly onto the battery. You could leave the connector dangling out from under the back seat, and just connect it as necessary.

Beeble1 wrote:
A after trying to start my bug for the first time this year, the battery was dead. This isn't the first time this happened, it happened to me last year also.

So, I've seen those trickle chargers for cigarette lighters, but since the PO removed mine, can I wire a little connector to the fuse box to do the job? Or could I route the trickle charger through the diagnostic plug?

vernonc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would find out what is draining the battery while it sits and correct that. There's no reason to have to add a 'trickle charger' to any automobile if things are right. Just my thoughts.

mort

'69 sedan, low mileage, all original.....currently being 'freshened-up' for road trips and daily driving...just not every day

Freshening-up link http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=617386
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pwmcguire
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this, remove the negative battery terminal and connect a test light between the battery terminal and the cable. If it lights, you have power flowing with the key off (= dead Battery) pull one fuse and see if it goes out, replace it and pull the next one. This will narrow it down to what circuit is drawing the power. You can do a closer inspection of that circuit.
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the car was parked all winter without charging at all, its not real surprising - particulalry if you have a modern stereo head unit. And if its the same battery from last year, its already been damaged by the complete discharge - doing it twice makes it even worse. Do a little research on sulphating pltes on lead acid batteries.

I agree to test for parasitic loss, but your battery has been compromised some already.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Captain Jacques
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andk5591 wrote:
If the car was parked all winter without charging at all, its not real surprising - particulalry if you have a modern stereo head unit. And if its the same battery from last year, its already been damaged by the complete discharge - doing it twice makes it even worse. Do a little research on sulphating pltes on lead acid batteries.

I agree to test for parasitic loss, but your battery has been compromised some already.

I agree. I keep all the cars I don't regularly use on trickle chargers. You can also run the leads from the battery through a grommet in the firewall and have the connector in the engine bay for easy access.
1989 Lada Niva
2000 SL320 Panoramic
2001 Alfa 156 Sportwagon Selespeed
Globespotter
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought a Battery Tender this year - it has a plug that you wire directly to the battery - small plug hangs out under the rear seat, and can be easily plugged in and out.

Worked like a charm!
1971 Super Beetle - 1977-1980

1971 SB Survivor Story: https://globespotter.com/
Road Trip Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=511800&highlight=
My 77 Westy Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=647114&highlight=

http://vw-mplate.com/mcode.php?lang=EN&id=30990
https://vw-type2-id.xyz/mplate/72067382
andk5591
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am too cheap to have a dedicated charger on each car (6 of them), I have a trickle charger and a regular charger that will do trickle charge. I just rotate them through the cars over the course of a week - about once every 6 weeks over winter. Used to replace the battery in our buggy every other year before I started doing this.
"John's car" 64 VW woodie - The first ever
Maxine 61 Cal-look bug - Cindy's daily driver.
Max - 73 standard Beetle hearse project - For sale
66 bug project - Real patina & Suby conversion
There's more, but not keeping them...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Late Model/Super - 1968-up All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: