Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pls Help me figure out what I am looking at
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Devin86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:06 pm    Post subject: Pls Help me figure out what I am looking at Reply with quote

Hi all I am new here and would like a little help I have previously owned a 73 and 74 Type 181 and am now looking for a bug to customize for my wife I have found this locally owner wants 1500 not negotiable will need floor plans if it might be worth it I will go back down and look but only had about 5 min today. Mainly looking for info about year and rust on lower body and price.
Thanks
Devin

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

63 hood crest ?....65 up trunk lid with pushbutton

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery

Last edited by grandpa pete on Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
mrmdls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at your pictures, I think you're looking at beside floor pans, having the heat channels replaced, along with as a minimum maybe an inch or 2 of the rear quarter panel being patched. If you're able to weld, you'll be able to keep the cost down, if you have a shop do the welding, it can get a little pricey. I also, think it might be a 62 or 63.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
*Darren
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snowflake tail lights. But doesn't really mean much, get a vin# and even then 58? 64? $1500, it really doesn't matter - you need to make an assessment of what needs to be done, can you do it (or have it done) and how much do you think you are going to be into it and can you afford that. That's how I always look at it. Does it really matter if you get the car for $500 and it's gonna take another $8k to make it close to right and you only have $4k? Stuff adds up real fast, engine, brake system, interior, metal work, paint, wheels & tires, cha-ching, cha-ching, cha-ching.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its got a lot of mixed parts on but its late 50s early 60s.

Got the icepick door handles,4 tab hood, snow flake lights and no oh shit handle on the dash but a later decklid and 66-67ish wheels.

$1500 is a lot for how much rust is in it and for all the rust you can see there will be more hidden.
joe56vw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joel wrote:

Got the icepick door handles,4 tab hood, snow flake lights and no oh shit handle on the dash but a later decklid and 66-67ish wheels.

$1500 is a lot for how much rust is in it and for all the rust you can see there will be more hidden.

it's just the latch that is later the decklid itself is different after '64 when they switch to the new lic. plate light overhang

why is there no sarcasism button on here?
VWLooseNuts
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's looks to be a 58-60 Just remember for all the rust you can see there half as much rust you can't see. If it's complete and the heater channels are not bad I would say $1500 is not horrible for a 58-60. If the heater channels need replace your looking to spend a few dollars redoing them.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
williamM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SO- looks like the question is "How much do you like your wife?" Embarassed

opinion untempered by fact is ignorance.

Don't step in any!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mrmdls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at the pictures again, after checking a little on the hood crest. 63 would be out as that would be the year that the hood crest was discontinued. I'm still trying to make out if it is a 4 tab hood. I can see 3 holes clearly, but I'm not a real good photo detective. On the left door, it looks like it would have a lock in the icepick handle (can't really see if the right does). If the icepick handle has locks, that would make it a later icepick handle.
Joel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

joe56vw wrote:
Joel wrote:

it's just the latch that is later the decklid itself is different after '64 when they switch to the new lic. plate light overhang

You can't just fit a late latch on an early decklid without surgery.....
Anyway if you look close at that decklid you can see it has the central rib of a 64+ decklid without the flares at the bttom of the rib.
It just has an early narrow light housing fitted which is what is confusing some people obviously

The proper pre 64 narrow light ones the rib flares outwards beside the light housing.

They never made a narrow light housing one with a push button latch and you can just swap the latch as the T handle uses round holes, push button are square.
mrmdls
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A little more detective work. 61 was first year of the grab handle. Where there is no grab handle that would also narrow it down to 58-60 so VWLooseNuts would be the closest to the actual year of the vehicle. Also, I checked on my thinking of only later icepick handles haveing locks, and I believe I was mistaken. It would depend on whether there is a button. Still looking into that
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

58 or 59. I say that based on the ice pick door handles and hood crest. 60-early 63 would be the black background hood crest, and the start of the square button door handle. Check for the late 'batwing' steering wheel, and headlight wiring routed in the spare tire area. Hard to say from those pics, but there should also be a pronounced flare at the front fenders where they attach to the running boards, and I think metal wiring conduits for the headlights wires into the buckets.

That car looks pretty complete, and is worth saving, but the rust is considerable. It won't be an easy restoration.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: