Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Body removal
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mstudley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:32 am    Post subject: Body removal Reply with quote

Hi all I was wondering if anyone has lifted the body off their bug without stripping out everything. I would like to lift the body to repair or replace my floors but i do not want to take anything apart that I don't have to. I want to lift it full fender-ed with all wiring and doors intact. it is a convertible if that makes a difference.please let me know your thoughts thanks.
bdub475
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have done it numerous times. Not a vert. It makes it a lot harder to lift.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will need more man power with a fully dressed body to lift. makes sense to keep it fully dressed when all your doing is pan work, so long as you can gather enough folks to lift.

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for safety so nothing is dropped or damaged... its an 6 -8 average person lift, (or 4 good men or butch women.)
1 at each fender (4).
1-2 at each bumper (2 - 4)

Fully dressed.. its heavier... but doable.
Take the seats, shifter and engine out, while having the pan on jack stands or at least having the tires off resting on bare rims, helps keeping the lifting height lower.
After prepping with all the bolts, steering shaft, wiring, loose and body seal broken.... Snatch it up....

Make sure you have nice landing area all picked out.
Its about the going not the showing
Rebuilt to drive not decorate
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mstudley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject: landing place Reply with quote

I have made saw horses out of four by fours with a 4x6 solid oak top rail it should hold the weight. I was thinking about buying a gantry lift from harbor freight
that are 8 ft wide and can lift over 1500 lb depending on the chain fall I buy.
hitest
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A convertible taco I foresee. You don't say year or relative condition- but I've rarely seen a vert that needs floors that does NOT have some other level of compromise in the body- like channel rust. Lifting the body can cause inward folding when there's too much flex in the channels

Or, a convertible clam I foresee. Simply lifting a vert body with the doors on does not mean the car won't open up- causing some real fun come door-alignment time. Most lifts I see people doing involve welding the door jambs to avoid both food nightmares described above.

And of course- everything Volkswagnut described.

I wonder what the nut looks like.

'62 L390 151, '62 L469 117, '63 L380 113, '64 L87 311, '65 L512 265, '65 L31 SO-42, '66 L360 251, '68 L30k 141, '71 L12 113, '74 ORG 181

FU#5
BluzBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check this Video out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Va6A68yiimE
jhicken
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, you should remove the doors and replace them with rigid braces. The doors or roof won't support it well enough. As previously noted, chances are the heater channels may be compromised.

-jeffrey
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hitest wrote:
A convertible taco I foresee. .

More like a fortune cookie... Laughing Its already a Taco..
WANTED: Local Eatin' Joints, Triple D for TheSamba contributions here http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=570510
Search "VOLKSWAGNUT" on YouTube since you cant watch a "certain" BELT change video round here
Usually and often edited
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mstudley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: body lift Reply with quote

It is a 1964 VW convertible picts in the gallery. the heater channels are like new no rot or rust at all this car came to the east coast via San Diego Ca. in 2008 has not seen a winter on the roads here in new England. however I see your point i just felt that with the body as solid as it is that I could keep the doors shut and it would help hold things together.Do you feel bracing is in order? the rot on the floor is in the passenger rear floor pan only it is about an 8" hole. I want to replace the whole pan instead of patching
VOLKSWAGNUT
Fastest VW Belt Changer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its still not as solid as it was in 1964.. brace across the door openings at least.

The lower heater channel rails and gussets are what takes the place of the roof...
Its worth the effort to brace IMO..
Usually and often edited
mstudley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2014 3:50 pm    Post subject: braceing it is Reply with quote

I have some 1" x 1/8" thick square stock I will make braces and install them before lifting the body thank you all for your replies
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: