Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

OhHerrooo's 69 Squareback Refresh
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Type 3 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ataraxia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd venture to guess one way to do it is smaller tire in back, larger tire up front...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
TommyBoyGomes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your radio wired through your tach? Smile

Jk, looks like someone got lazy with your radio and didn't wire it in through the ignition. That's the right way to do it. But if you want to remain lazy, just add a $1 switch in-line on the 12V lead between the radio and the battery (a single-pole single-throw switch should do). This means that you'll need to flick the switch every time you want to turn on the radio, but it's easy to mount it beneath the dash in an accessible spot.
SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD-40 works nicely for removing old sticker goo. Cool
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use acetone. It wont harm the paint.

'68 FI Sunroof Squareback

'70 Westy

OCT3 - Orange County Type 3's
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhHerrooo wrote:

also, I really want to level out my car by lowering the back but my 205/65 tires seem to be contributing to my stink-bugedness. would a smaller tire help with this? also, since the car is IRS i can't go short axle, can i? what is the best way to lower the rear and even it out? the tires are very close to rubbing the inner fender lip.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

You could probably drop the rear 1 spline, and be ok. I think it'll allow the top of the tire to come in about a 1/2 inch with IRS. My 71 tucks the 205-65 nicely with a 1 spline drop. Cool
The front looks like it's on a narrowed bug beam (or you've got some narrowed arms), as the fronts look tucked in pretty good. Those look like some 175-55's or something. You can go up on them to something like a 185-65, or even a 195-60 to help fill in the wheel well.

Carb cleaner will soften the glue from the stickers too. Wink
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."
Tram wrote:
People keep confusing "restored" and "restroyed".
eyetzr Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you will need to change tires to lower the rear if the tires are close now, or change rims with different offset. Then lower rear down. With an IRS you really cannot tuck the wheels in. Good luck, very nice ride
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
OhHerrooo wrote:

also, I really want to level out my car by lowering the back but my 205/65 tires seem to be contributing to my stink-bugedness. would a smaller tire help with this? also, since the car is IRS i can't go short axle, can i? what is the best way to lower the rear and even it out? the tires are very close to rubbing the inner fender lip.

You could probably drop the rear 1 spline, and be ok. I think it'll allow the top of the tire to come in about a 1/2 inch with IRS. My 71 tucks the 205-65 nicely with a 1 spline drop. Cool
The front looks like it's on a narrowed bug beam (or you've got some narrowed arms), as the fronts look tucked in pretty good. Those look like some 175-55's or something. You can go up on them to something like a 185-65, or even a 195-60 to help fill in the wheel well.

Carb cleaner will soften the glue from the stickers too. Wink

Thanks for the advice, bob. I believe the fronts are 155s and yes, they're on a 3" narrowed bug beam. I'll get under there this weekend and just see if 1 additional spline in back helps. Are there better wheels for lowered IRS cars with better backspacing?

chaosisme wrote:
You can use acetone. It wont harm the paint.

Perfect.
'68 Squareback

www.evenkeelsurfshapes.com

Last edited by OhHerrooo on Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eyetzr wrote:
you will need to change tires to lower the rear if the tires are close now, or change rims with different offset. Then lower rear down. With an IRS you really cannot tuck the wheels in. Good luck, very nice ride

Thanks! What wheels would have better offset?
I had Gasburners on my 68, but it was swingaxle.
'68 Squareback

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhHerrooo wrote:
Are there better wheels for lowered IRS cars with better backspacing?

Fuchs. Im running stock width axles with no rubbing issues. 165's in the rear. I was actually thinking about going with a bigger rear tire but then I realized there are million other things my car needs so Im just going to leave the tires alone for now.

You could always run a bigger tire in the front too instead of those low profile tires. Im running Nankang 145s up front and Im pretty sure it has a taller sidewall than the Continental 155s.

'70 Westy

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find a set of the factory 5.5" wide, 34mm offset Sport wheels from a 1974 "Sports Bug" (and you like the look of the factory sport wheel) they do a very nice job of tucking a wheel into the fender. I never tried it on a Type III but was able to put 205/50 15" tires on the back of a 1970 Ghia with no rubbing at all using a set of them (and Ghias just ain't got no room in the back fenders! Very Happy ). Or just look for any wheel of comparable width with a 34mm offset and you should be in good shape. As long as the offset is the same it will center the tread of the tire in the same place in the wheel well.
Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhHerrooo wrote:
eyetzr wrote:

Keep in mind that the width of the IRS set up (inside the fenders), is the same as the long axle combination for 66 to 68 type 3s. This means that whatever rim and tire combo that usually worked for the early cars, does kind of work for the later cars, except for the extreme lowering treatment of the SA car (bent axle look). What I mean by that, is you don't get the extreme camber of the early cars when you drop the ass of an IRS car. You'll get somewhere from a 1/2 inch to a full inch depending on the number of splines. BUT, you have to watch tire width when dropping more than than 1 spine, due to the tire rubbing on the top inside of the inner fender tub (not the shock towers). BTDT had to raise it back up some. Wink
Stock T-3 rim offset is 46mm, and you really need to stay close to that for stuff to work. I'm not saying you can't go with a different offset, but you just need to pay attention to it. You can even use the John J method of getting a little more outside tire clearance (not as extreme as Nate did Twisted Evil ), so you can gain a little more room that way too. Very Happy
64 T-34 Ghia...aka Wolfie, under construction... http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=412120
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
OhHerrooo wrote:
eyetzr wrote:

Keep in mind that the width of the IRS set up (inside the fenders), is the same as the long axle combination for 66 to 68 type 3s. This means that whatever rim and tire combo that usually worked for the early cars, does kind of work for the later cars, except for the extreme lowering treatment of the SA car (bent axle look). What I mean by that, is you don't get the extreme camber of the early cars when you drop the ass of an IRS car. You'll get somewhere from a 1/2 inch to a full inch depending on the number of splines. BUT, you have to watch tire width when dropping more than than 1 spine, due to the tire rubbing on the top inside of the inner fender tub (not the shock towers). BTDT had to raise it back up some. Wink
Stock T-3 rim offset is 46mm, and you really need to stay close to that for stuff to work. I'm not saying you can't go with a different offset, but you just need to pay attention to it. You can even use the John J method of getting a little more outside tire clearance (not as extreme as Nate did Twisted Evil ), so you can gain a little more room that way too. Very Happy

What's the John J method? I haven't been around in a while Sad
I just looked up my wheels and they say they have an offset of ET45... so they shouldn't be changing my track width much, right?

I'm hoping to get under there this weekend and try lowering it another spline in back.
'68 Squareback

Bobnotch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhHerrooo wrote:

I just looked up my wheels and they say they have an offset of ET45... so they shouldn't be changing my track width much, right?

I'm hoping to get under there this weekend and try lowering it another spline in back.

I tried looking for how much John moved his out (or some pics of it in progress (it's probably on his web site Embarassed )), but I want to say it was 3/4 or 1 inch, which is right at the limit, as it starts to effect the front of the rear fender.

Nate took that idea, and went 3 inches. Twisted Evil

Here's a pic of Nate's version. Keep in mind he really moved it out Shocked , and had to weld metal back in to both ends of the fender.
Quoting Nate from his thread; "I decided that I wanted to be more subtle with this set, so I bumped out the fender arches 3". This also forced me to have to extend the engine cooling air duct lip as well. The front bottom edge had to come out 3" or so to ensure and angled to the factory rocker width. The rear bottom edge had to be extended so that the rear edge of the wheel arch would cover the tire."

Pics of his mod are on page 19 of his "shop car" thread.
Tram wrote:
Tram wrote:
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobnotch wrote:
OhHerrooo wrote:

I tried looking for how much John moved his out (or some pics of it in progress (it's probably on his web site Embarassed )), but I want to say it was 3/4 or 1 inch, which is right at the limit, as it starts to effect the front of the rear fender.

Nate took that idea, and went 3 inches. Twisted Evil

Here's a pic of Nate's version. Keep in mind he really moved it out Shocked , and had to weld metal back in to both ends of the fender.
Quoting Nate from his thread; "I decided that I wanted to be more subtle with this set, so I bumped out the fender arches 3". This also forced me to have to extend the engine cooling air duct lip as well. The front bottom edge had to come out 3" or so to ensure and angled to the factory rocker width. The rear bottom edge had to be extended so that the rear edge of the wheel arch would cover the tire."

Pics of his mod are on page 19 of his "shop car" thread.

I don't think I'll be going this crazy with it. I'm not too tied to the cosmics, so wheels with a better offset for being lower are definitely an option. Unfortunately I didn't get the chance to get under the car this weekend to try lowering it - that will probably happen this week.

I still can't figure out why my tach is sticking, though.
'68 Squareback

OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the oil and gave the car a wash this weekend. Hopefully lowering the rear next weekend as the rake is really bugging me.

'68 Squareback

chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OhHerrooo wrote:
Changed the oil and gave the car a wash this weekend. Hopefully lowering the rear next weekend as the rake is really bugging me.

Are you missing a lugnut on each wheel?

'70 Westy

squaretobehip
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They might be lock lug nuts.

Follow ISP West on:

Facebook - www.facebook.com/ispwest
Instagram - @ispwest - www.instagram.com/ispwest
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chaosisme
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squaretobehip wrote:

Oh, that makes sense then.

'70 Westy

SBD
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be a bit worried about lowering the rear with that oil filter where it is.
OhHerrooo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SBD wrote:
I'd be a bit worried about lowering the rear with that oil filter where it is.

Yeah I'm planning on tucking it up and away before lowering it. A friend of mine offered to build a skid plate/enclosure for it as well.

squaretobehip wrote:

That they are.
'68 Squareback

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Type 3 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: