Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Restoration of SWF Flasher Units
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nlorntson wrote:
How would one bench test one of these stock flasher units? Can someone provide the details?

Thanks.

See this page Nancy:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...p;start=80

About halfway down, there is a diagram and my test setup.

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2013 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
nlorntson wrote:
How would one bench test one of these stock flasher units? Can someone provide the details?

Thanks.

See this page Nancy:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1...p;start=80

About halfway down, there is a diagram and my test setup.

PERFECT! Thanks a bunch John. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jrb572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where do you purchase the rivets to hold it together?
Jrb572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody here convert these for a service here for led lights. I've destroyed two relays trying to upgrade mine. My car is 6 volts. I can not get the solder to come loose from the boards.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2014 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrb572

Feed new solder between the old solder and iron tip to conduct the heat to remove the old solder.

Does your Oval have Semaphores?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jrb572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No semaphores.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrb572 wrote:
No semaphores.

The EP29 12V flasher minimum voltage is 9V.
http://datasheet.octopart.com/U2043B-MFPG3Y-Atmel-datasheet-31147.pdf

Have you seen my Solid State Turn Signal Flasher Controller? It works in a 6 or 12V system with or without Semaphores and has the Hazard function. Click on link below.

Last edited by Wayne S. Johnson on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:51 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Jrb572
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to keep a stock look. I appreciate the help.
Wayne S. Johnson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jrb572 wrote:
I'm trying to keep a stock look. I appreciate the help.

You could mount the Turn Signal Flasher Controller under the back seat.
stanovich
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can also use copper wick to absorb the molten solder , or after heating a puff of air to blow the molten solder away
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 9:36 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of SWF Flasher Units Reply with quote

My SWF flasher seems to indicate I have a oval out of Ballard WA, it only flashes the inside indicator once and then it stays off while the signals continue to flash (the Ballard reference is a little insider Seattle joke.)

I see some interesting fixes here, but was hoping that when it is just the indicator not working there was an easy fix to keep it original inside. My thought was to move the blue indicator wire so it is under the S terminal along with the wire going to the turn signal switch. Can that be done with the old SWF flasher? That is how a normal 2 wire flasher works in a Bug.

Edited to answer my own post:
You can move the indicator wire so it is under the S terminal and the dash indicator will flash. Both original wires with the metal ends will fit under the screw terminal. For a driver it seems to be a good way to keep 1 more original part in service. Thanks for the pictures and links to the insides.
Snort
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of SWF Flasher Units Reply with quote

The indicator lamp circuit is supposed to have power on all the time, and it is grounded by a separate contact inside the flasher. Doubling up that wire on the wire that goes to the turn signal switch might work if you have enough voltage difference between the two sides of the lamp, similar to the way a generator indicator lamp works. Give it a try and see what happens. But before you do that, check the ground wire on the flasher, it's a separate terminal and the wire should mount to the bolt that holds the flasher on to the bracket, or any other good ground source while you're testing.

I'm not sure that driving while Ballard holds true anymore. With all the techie invaders moving in and the Norwegian grandmothers slowly disappearing, cruising at 10mph with the turn signal left on in a 68 Rambler is not such a frequent sight as it was back in the days of Almost Live. Smile
EVfun
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of SWF Flasher Units Reply with quote

Snort wrote:
The indicator lamp circuit is supposed to have power on all the time, and it is grounded by a separate contact inside the flasher. Doubling up that wire on the wire that goes to the turn signal switch might work if you have enough voltage difference between the two sides of the lamp, similar to the way a generator indicator lamp works. Give it a try and see what happens. But before you do that, check the ground wire on the flasher, it's a separate terminal and the wire should mount to the bolt that holds the flasher on to the bracket, or any other good ground source while you're testing.

I'm not sure that driving while Ballard holds true anymore. With all the techie invaders moving in and the Norwegian grandmothers slowly disappearing, cruising at 10mph with the turn signal left on in a 68 Rambler is not such a frequent sight as it was back in the days of Almost Live. Smile

My son is one of those techies, he bought a place in Fremont with a view of the Ballard bridge. Smile

The signal dash light trick is an old one, that after getting a look inside the SWF flasher I figured would work. With the turn signals off the dash bulb gets power from both sides and so doesn't light. When I turn a signal on the full 6 volts drops across the outside bulbs, the dash light still sees 6 volts on both sides so is off. When the flasher interupts power to the outside bulbs they provide a ground to the dash bulb. Since there is 36 watts of outside bulbs per side and the dash light is 2 watts almost the entire 6 volts drops across the dash bulb. The about 0.3 volts that does drop across the outside bulbs is not enough to even dimly light them.

It is an old trick that a lot af 12 volt Bug owners use because a commom 12 volt 3 terminal flasher uses the dash light output to provide power to the dash light. That one won't flash the Beetle dash light at all if you use that terminal.

Thanks for your input Snort.
Trevor P
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Restoration of SWF Flasher Units Reply with quote

Suboval, I'm curious as to where you sourced the replacement rivets in order to hold the original relay halves together once reassembling?
70 911T
91 Westy
Dan22
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Restoration of SWF Flasher Units Reply with quote

Trevor P wrote:
Suboval, I'm curious as to where you sourced the replacement rivets in order to hold the original relay halves together once reassembling?

Me too!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Oval-Window - 1953-57 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: