Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Bought this 62"beetle needing paint and rust work
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heathejj97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:31 pm    Post subject: Bought this 62"beetle needing paint and rust work Reply with quote

Hey bought a 62" beetle 1200 with a replaced motor in it, $2100aus. Anyway it had been resprayed with rattle can primer then black Rattle can for one coat, and has bubbles and surface rust all over, basically the plan is to remove all doors and fenders etc paint it bit by bit- using rollers Smile, so wondering whats the cheapest way to prime then roll it on? Painted and what primer etc? I cant spray as limited space etc, i dont care much about looks but it cant rust out after a few months tho Smile, and i also found 4 rust holes Sad one bleow front right drivers pillar (2 coin sized holes) , one behind front left fender- close to the heater channels :///, then one below pedel cluster-but no hole on i side tho? Then a small one on front right pillar but its small, i have removed running boards-rusty too, and solid heater channels with only a few small surface rust spots, but upon using an inspection camera i can see a bit of flaky rust in channels and in pillars, can i just patch the holes up With a plate? And where else do i look for rust? (By the way below and behind rear seats are mostly rust free/minor surface rust, thanks a heap i kinda worried now Smile
grandpa pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do a search using the word "tremclad "....also covered in "paint job " and there is a Body/Paint forum on this website with 265 pages

Found this on another site ...Not my project

here's how i painted my car for about $50, it's actually very easy and the results are amazing. First off, get a can of tremclad real orange (or what ever color u want) in the can, not spray, yes tremclad, it is a acrylic/enamel paint which is very durable. next prep your car as if was any other paint job, fix all the rust, ect....no need to prime the car since the tremclad allready contains elements which allow it to be painted over bare metal. next, after prepping the car get a small 4" professional FOAM rollers, it's tiny and has one end rounded off, and the other cut straight, and is a very high density foam. u also need a jug of mineral spirits to thin the paint. The thing i really like about this is that there's no mess, no tapeing the whole car, just key areas, and u can do it in your garage, since your not spraying there is virtually no dust in the air, just clean your garage first, also it does'nt really smell at all, dries overnight and it super tough paint. also it you decide to paint the car professionally later, just prep and paint, there's no need to strip the tremclad. i have done this to a few cars, and i can say it works amazing, u just have to be paitient. next u thin the paint with mineral spirits so it just about as thin as water, a little thicker. get out the roller and paint away, don't get the paint shaked when u buy it, enamel is stirred, otherwise you'll have bubbles in the paint for a week!!! after u do 2 coats, wet sand the whole car, then repeat, 2 coats, wetsand, 2 coats wetsand. i painted the charger using a can since your not spraying the car u use all the paint and not spray 50% in the air, use progressivly finer sand paper each time. it's not really that much work, cause u can stop and start any time, u can do just a door, or the hood, ect. do one panel at a time, and don't stop once you start. once your done the final coat, wetsand with about 1000 grit to a totally smooth finish, and then using a high speed polisher i use a buffing bonnet and turtle wax polishing compound. do the whole car with this, and i'm telling u, depending on the amount of time and paitence you have, the results are amazing. laugh if you want, but for $50 ($30 for paint, about $20 for rollers, sand paper, ect...) it really looks good. also you can do these steps overnight, paint one evening and by morning u can wet sand. i have personally done alot of painting, mostly single stage acrylic enamel, and i've sprayed several cars in my garage with really good professional results, just it stinks, it's a real pain to do, easy to make a mistake, messy, and expensive. The tremclad is awesome paint, the "real orange" is an amazing hemi orange, and almost looks like it has some perl in the sun, awesome color right out of the can. I used this technique on my 1974 beetle also, here are the results:

Amazing info out there

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=569619&highlight=sedan+delivery
Heathejj97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks a heap mate much appreciated Smile)
PFN
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fix the rust in the pillars. Rust there destroyed my '56. Good luck and it's great to see more Aussie '62s getting the love they deserve!

(gone now)
1964 RHD Conversion Karmann Ghia
1956 RHD Beetle
1972 Kombi
Heathejj97
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heah thats gonna cost a bit of $$ but she'll bbe worth it if the paint turns out ok Smile cheeers
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: