Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Will installing a B2 cause my '58 to lose value?
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
AidenM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, beryl green'62bug, for the link to that installation manual. I'd been wondering about the Z-series heaters and that manual will prove helpful for my install. One difference seems to be that the feed and return of the 8542 both go into the top of the tank.

Heater and tank are due to arrive today via FedEx and I can't wait to rehab the heater and install it (though temps here in the front range of Colorado are due to be back up in the 50's and 60's). A few people have pmailed me regarding templates for this heater install. The seller was in a unique position when he was uninstalling the heater in that he was cutting up the car. He did me (and all of us interested in installing an 8542) a great favor by cutting out the trunk and inner fender section of the actual car and including them in the box. Hopefully this will allow for a direct transfer of hole positions, etc. Once I've got my heater installed this piece will be available as a template to anyone who needs it.

Also, I actually appreciate cautionary tales such as the 412 firebomb that Allsidius related. I think it's important to remember that in the application and utilization of Newtonian physics, it's Murphy's Law that has the most profound effect on the eventual outcome. Thanks Allsidius for telling that story.
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidenM wrote:
Thanks, beryl green'62bug, for the link to that installation manual. I'd been wondering about the Z-series heaters and that manual will prove helpful for my install. One difference seems to be that the feed and return of the 8542 both go into the top of the tank.

Heater and tank are due to arrive today via FedEx and I can't wait to rehab the heater and install it (though temps here in the front range of Colorado are due to be back up in the 50's and 60's). A few people have pmailed me regarding templates for this heater install. The seller was in a unique position when he was uninstalling the heater in that he was cutting up the car. He did me (and all of us interested in installing an 8542) a great favor by cutting out the trunk and inner fender section of the actual car and including them in the box. Hopefully this will allow for a direct transfer of hole positions, etc. Once I've got my heater installed this piece will be available as a template to anyone who needs it.

Also, I actually appreciate cautionary tales such as the 412 firebomb that Allsidius related. I think it's important to remember that in the application and utilization of Newtonian physics, it's Murphy's Law that has the most profound effect on the eventual outcome. Thanks Allsidius for telling that story.

I would love to have first dibs on borrowing the sheet metal templates so I can do the holes on my car! It would make me a happy boy !
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=462533
61-67 Delanair Air conditioning Thread
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen a few burnt cars because of gas heaters, they were all '70s cars with plastic heaters. I had a '65 with a gas heater, worked a treat if you wanted to roast your nuts. There are two problems with those things: they don't provide any defrost which is the big problem in a cold climate and they burn exactly as much fuel as the engine, cutting your gas mileage in half.

Here in Winterpeg, a VW collector will soon amass a collection of heaters, I had a half dozen at one point. I didn't want them, the Americans didn't know what they were and didn't want them so they went to the recyclers. I still have a gas tank with the hoses kicking around tho.

Having said all that: you do what you want as it is your car, but I wouldn't butcher a car to install one no matter how cool they seem.

Don
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
allsidius
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidenM wrote:

You're welcome! Here in Norway they were quite popular until the insurance companies more or less outlawed them. No more 412s on the road anymore, I guess they self-annihilated! Good luck on your project.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
thomas.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
There are two problems with those things: they don't provide any defrost which is the big problem in a cold climate and they burn exactly as much fuel as the engine, cutting your gas mileage in half.

Don

If you look in the link I posted above in the test data(last page) these heaters use about 1/2 pint per hour. For one gallon then it could run 16 hours. This doesn't jibe with the facts you stated.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aiden, can you take pictures of your gas heater install and post them up? id love to see the progress
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=457944&highlight=air+conditioning

PUNCTUATION CHANGES THE WORLD: "I need to help my uncle, Jack, off a horse" is way better than, "I need to help my uncle jack off a horse"
baja274
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beryl green'62bug wrote:
sunroof wrote:
There are two problems with those things: they don't provide any defrost which is the big problem in a cold climate and they burn exactly as much fuel as the engine, cutting your gas mileage in half.

Don

If you look in the link I posted above in the test data(last page) these heaters use about 1/2 pint per hour. For one gallon then it could run 16 hours. This doesn't jibe with the facts you stated.

I get about 23mpg in the summer time and about 19mpg in the winter. My B2 heater is running whenever i'm driving in the winter, I also let the car warm up quite a bit longer in the winter time.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
and they burn exactly as much fuel as the engine, cutting your gas mileage in half.
That's a complete MYTH. The specs from Eberspacher say they burn ¼ liter per hour. When I'm on the freeway, I'm burning close to 10 liters per hour. So that ¼ liter represents a mileage hit of 2.5%. I notice zero difference with the heater on vs. off.
sunroof
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, interesting. I wonder if there was something wrong with the heater in my '65. It burned as much fuel as the motor. No matter what the specs say, this was my experience.

Don
baja274
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunroof wrote:
Hmmm, interesting. I wonder if there was something wrong with the heater in my '65. It burned as much fuel as the motor. No matter what the specs say, this was my experience.

Don

I bought my first gas heater from a guy who said it was "rebuilt". Well when he rebuilt it, he lost one of the little jets that go in the metering block. I actually ran it like that for a while before i realized it wasn't sussposed to be a smoke belching blast furnace, and like you said, it used tons of fuel.
AidenM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two big boxes arrived Wednesday via Fed Ex: one with the fuel tank, one with the heater, etc. I was buried in a couple other projects (kmh speedo rebuild, semaphore/peanut blinker relay wiring) so I only got to poking around the heater today.

I've run into one thing (the first of many, I'm sure) that I hope you heater gurus can help me out with. I removed the pump from the 8542 in order to take a look at the diaphragm, check the points, etc. Diaphragm looks fine, sanded the points for a good contact. Put 6V to the terminals and got only a single click. Curious, I loosened the four screws that hold the diaphragm cover to the body and the pump clicked merrily away. Tightening the screws back down binds the piston.

Here's a pic of the gap sans screws:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Now here's the gist of my question: there was no gasket between the diaphragm cover and the body of the pump. It appears also that when set into the body there is a gap that would ostensibly be taken up by a gasket. Tightening the screws closes the gap and prevents the piston from working. Did these originally have a gasket here? It would certainly make sense as to keep fuel from rushing out the side of the body... Should I just make a gasket of material ( fuel resistant, of course) of a thickness a little bigger than the gap?

Thanks in advance!
AidenM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, guteandtite:

Here's a pic of the sheet metal templates from the donor bug. Fresh from the slaughterhouse!

Pmail me to work out getting these to you.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidenM wrote:
... Should I just make a gasket of material

No, the diaphragm is the gasket. If it needed a gasket, Eberspacher would have put one in there.
Did you check the points on the other end?
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidenM wrote:
Also, guteandtite:

Here's a pic of the sheet metal templates from the donor bug. Fresh from the slaughterhouse!

Pmail me to work out getting these to you.

hey aiden, did the templates make it to steve/scott(?) okay?

vwmike333
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/quote]as far as restoring it, Lowes sells the hammered tone paint and steph on the judson registry whom makes the fram fp3 filter. okrasa cooler lines can remake the fuel lines exactly as original- zinc coated braided double layer lines with blue striping, he re-zincs the fittings and installs them with new compression fittings. that is the one point on the heaters that should ALWAYS be replaced if not serviceable.[/quote]

I have been gearing up to produce these fuel lines using German zinc-coated steel braided striped hose and silver cad German crimp sleeves and silver cad tube hose ends. I'm currently working on producing Okrasa-style Fram bypass oil filter lines and fittings. Stay tuned!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered a roll of this spot on correct hose. Its german braided nitrile hose wrapped in galvanized steel braided wire with the blue leader striping. I ordered all the correct fittings and a compression tool. Im able to make complete reproductions of the original eberspacher fuel lines including the fuel tank piece.

is anyone interested in these? im gonna make some for my heater and an extra set for later down the road god forbid I should ever need them. If theres interest, Ill reproduce them.

Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just catching up on old Emails.
Could use some of those new fuel lines if you are going to make them.
GüteAndTite
Early Convertible Güru

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric&Barb wrote:
Just catching up on old Emails.
Could use some of those new fuel lines if you are going to make them.

Yes I am going to make them! I will need your old lines for the fittings. They will receive new lines and compression fittings and a new nylon hose on the fuel pickup. PM me

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: