Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Alternator for Possible Conversion
Forum Index -> Ghia Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
team bogus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:51 pm    Post subject: Alternator for Possible Conversion Reply with quote

I'm considering buying this alternator for a generator to alternator conversion. It's for a '73-79 beetle or ghia, but what is the three prong connector for? And where is the D+ and ground connection?

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/1197499.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Woreign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternators typically have 3 connections: Battery, Warning Light and Ground. It's possible that the 3-prong connector on the alternator you want to buy is for the warning light, ground, and maybe a power exciter connection. (Alternators need power to generate power). Best to get the model number and look up the specs...
NWGhiaGuy Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some alternators also require an external regulator. I think that's what you're looking at.

The Bosch AL82X is the standard internally regulated unit and has just two terminals, positive to the battery and the second goes to the light on your dash. Very simple.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
team bogus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I've seen on some other alternators. Two terminals and then a ground. It does look simple.
As for the stand, can I use my stock generator stand or an aftermarket one suited for alternators larger size?

Btw, my car is a '67 Ghia with a '75 1600cc to be installed. Carbureted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
carl4x4
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory the alternator & generator stands are different, plus if you're running a mechanical fuel pump some of them foul the alternator so that will also need to be changed.

I run a two wire alternator, the wiring to the regulator needs to be altered but its relatively simple.
c21darrel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This.
Quote:
The Bosch AL82X is the standard internally regulated unit and has just two terminals, positive to the battery and the second goes to the light on your dash. Very simple.

And Carl4X4 is correct alts and generators have diff stands. Depending on the type of fuel pump you have you may be fine or need to switch. If you have the orig fuel pump you should be fine as they can be oriented to fit with an alt.
1. aim for the internally regulated Alt ( a bosch, avoid chinese)
2. Alt specific stand
3. fuel pump for alt.
Can probably find it all in the classifieds.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=693583&highlight=67+dc
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
team bogus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys.
My block was originally for a fuel injected engine, so I'm going to be using an electric fuel pump as there is no provision for a mech. fuel pump. So I won't have that interference issue.
I think I would prefer the internal reg alternator.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Ghia All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: