Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Start button... 1960 Bug?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Middle child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 3:14 pm    Post subject: Start button... 1960 Bug? Reply with quote

I just picked up another 1960 bug and I had a key made but there's no detent to engage the starter...?... just the two position on/off ... so what's up with that? I don't remember seeing a starter button a pushin starter button. I know some of the really old ones have them. So the locksmith screwed up or what? Any help would be appreciated.
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post image...
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps it is normal?

On the early switches, they don't have the no-repeat feature like '61 up.

Pretty sure up to '60, you turn it to first click, then you have to push in on the key (it's under light spring tension) to get it to turn to the crank position.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, my 58 bug had a turn and push key switch, my 61 has a standard turn only switch

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is how my original SE switch on my '60 works. You have to push in on the key as you turn it from the on position to the start position and as already stated, it does not have the non-repeat feature that the 61 and on have.
panicman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just chiming in with the rest... You have to press the key in a bit as you turn to engage the starter, otherwise, it hangs up.
Middle child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the half dozen or so replies but no its a 2 position switch no pushing in does anything different and it's the screw in terminals that the 60's still had the terminal in the back closest to the mounting screw bracket is number 30 clockwise from there the next terminal is marked with a 50 clockwise from there over to the other side 15 / 54.
bluebus86
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle child wrote:
Thanks for the half dozen or so replies but no its a 2 position switch no pushing in does anything different and it's the screw in terminals that the 60's still had the terminal in the back closest to the mounting screw bracket is number 30 clockwise from there the next terminal is marked with a 50 clockwise from there over to the other side 15 / 54.

maybe it is jammed up, try some graphite on the key????

Stop introducing dirt into your oil when adjusting valves ... https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=683022
wayne1230cars
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree. It may be somehow jammed. If you cannot get it freed up, here is an option. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1367287
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wayne1230cars wrote:
Agree. It may be somehow jammed. If you cannot get it freed up, here is an option. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1367287

I have been happy with Justin's (the guy in the ad) work and think that is a good option!
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BWD wrote:
wayne1230cars wrote:

I have been happy with Justin's (the guy in the ad) work and think that is a good option!

I purchased an original SE ignition switch and key from Justin and was very pleased.
Middle child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falling just short of digging out a BFH and no amount of oiling or persuasion even talking to it could make it any more than a two position switch. I asked the locksmith and he checked it with an ohmeter or whatever and said that there's power there so anyway I'm headed back home in a couple days and I'll probably have a duh moment finding a start button...or I'll be ordering a new switch as was suggested. Thanks.
61SNRF
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Middle child wrote:

There's the biggest clue right there to it's functionality.

Why would a two position switch have a terminal 50? If it has a 50 terminal, then it is most likely a three position switch made to momentarily energize the starter solenoid.

Ignition switches live a hard life, and the guts are made made of white metal, so it might just be broken inside. The locksmith would only have to mess with the tumbler to make a key, so probably not their fault either.

Another clue to it's vintage is the key profile. Is it in fact a '60 SE profile switch? Does the key match the door handles?

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Middle child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what concerned me so I had the "lacksmith" check it out....I thought if it were a three position switch he could tell me..all he said was that there was power there...."there"? I mean for a switch that is over fifty years old everything unscrewed perfectly...I can't imagine the inside being so burnt up as to not move at all...but anything is possible. I'm an hour away from home, I'll do some more checking. Thanks.
Middle child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you guys sure know your stuff I would never have believed that I could get that to move by pushing it in... But I did get it to work and move to that starter crank position but it doesn't spring back which is what I was expecting ...?... so there's something wrong in there ... who did you suggest sending it to? And the key does not fit the door I know someone asked if it fit the doors plural but it only has the lock on the drivers door so that was a trick question? I have a couple other cars like that that need keys I'll probably take them to the same locksmith very inexpensive to have done and we'll see how the other ones turn out. It kind of amazes me that I don't remember that because years ago back in the 70's I owned a '60 European model with working semaphores. I bought it for 75 bucks... fixed the brakes and sold it for 4 times what I paid... I was so proud of myself... Rolling Eyes
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the key works in both door and ignition, it would be a matched pair quite possibly from the factory. If not matched, then one or both have been replaced....

Up to you if you want to have a matched set so you only need one key. If you do, then contacting one of the VW key dealers in the classifieds and get it done.
Middle child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...if I wasn't at a loss for words before I am now....that key that I had made fit my other 1960 Bug perfectly. And the reason I didn't remember about pushing the key in is because you don't have to think about pushing it in ... the turning motion pulls it in.
Aussiebug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to match your ignition key to the doors, you can do it yourself.

This "type 3" site explains the process.

The ignition has more tumblers than the door so you match the doors to the ignition key, NOT the ignition to the door key.
http://www.vw-resource.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Middle child
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to that site and could not find anything but that's okay. I have one more 1960 bug to pick up in Nebraska ... what are the chances of that one having the same key as well... ? Probably not very likely.
fluxcap
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aussiebug wrote:

The ignition has more tumblers than the door so you match the doors to the ignition key, NOT the ignition to the door key.

Is this only for certain years? When I redid the doors and ignition on my 62, all my SC cylinders had 6 wafers/tumblers.

"It's like, how much more black could this be, and the answer is none.......none more black."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - 1958-1967 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: